xisto Community
hast-webben

SMF Simple Machines

I started using it from SMF 1.1.8 and have it updated to 1.1.10, installed with various MODs and TP on it. I used it for our small forums inside the company just to update every members on the company and of course sometimes for fun.

Well, I can say that SMF has the best good things on it and I really enjoyed learning configurations of the forum.

I also tested PHPBB but after a few months, I again make another forum of SMF but this time it's SMF 2.0 RC3 and oh I really loved it.

I just found myself more easy configuration on SMF rather than PHPBB.

Oh and there's a great news on SMF.

It has been a long-time goal of the Simple Machines team to dissolve the Limited Liability Corporation (Simple Machines LLC) and create a Non-Profit Organization[?] so we can continue to lead and innovate.

What's this thing about?

Our primary goal, at this time, is to complete the release of SMF v2.0 RC4 and 2.0 Final.

I've been waiting for it too...Really nice news..Isn't it?

Read More Here --> Simple Machines forms as an NPO

Edited by ysNoi (see edit history)

One more year with no final release of SMF2. I don't know when they plan to release the final version of SMF. I know there were some issues inside SMF forum with kathy and some other developers. So i guess this has something to do with that incident. Though they claimed to have one foundation for SMF where they're building updates to SMF consistently. But there is no concrete update from the SMF as of yet. Why? i have no idea about that. More than three years and no updates from SMF at all. SMF 1.11 and SMF 1.12 will be there for quite some time now. Maybe they should update SMF to version 3 directly just like winamp folks did with too many beta released for version 4 and they directly released the version 5. If that is done then i guess this much wait of the software is appreciated. I don't know if anyone is making fork from SMF, if not they should because slow development of SMF is really irritating to most of the forum owners and script plugin writers.

I see that they have now started working on new version. You can check out their forums for the final vesion and everything is coming out of alpha and beta. It seems that this year they might start some serious development. I know there was a lot of drama going on smf forums due to management and license issue. They have now much simple license compared to previous one. THey have also fired few folks off the forums and management and working for better terms. I guess "amcythe" user who used to manage all the SMF is out of the management and now they are purely relying on the strength of team members for the release. In any case it is too late and other forum softwares are getting stronger compared to SMF. They have lot to catch up. They did updated the forums last october 2011 but i guess from then there are no fixes and updates. It's waste to rely on SMF for corporate sites so no wonder IPB and VB are still cprefered choice of many for their site.