xisto Community
hast-webben

SMF Simple Machines

The other day when I was into the Cpanel to prepare my new homesite after I had decided to seperate me from Xoops! And was looking after preinstalled IPB without luck, did I went into to try something that I never had heard about before as the topic title tells SMF, Simple Machines.I really thing that other also need to gives this wonder a change to see what i gives, and the best of it all for free.I would like to start this topic as an exchange forum, both to get hints and tips to others, and ofcause also to give away.I hope that other would think that this would be useful too.See youCheers!Jens

Yeah, SMF is really great. I switched from the crappy phpBB to it few months ago and I couldn't be more satisfied.The change itself was quite painless, even though I had heavily modded phpBB. The importing tool available at simplemachines.org almost did it's job. As I had the categories hierarchy mod in phpBB, the importer just could do the change perfectly so I had to do some stuff with the admin panel and the database. That was just few hours work and was well worth it. I also got good feedback from my visitors too. First time they felt a little confused with the new board but once they got used to it and I simplified my categories and forum structure a bit there's been no problems. I don't know if it has anything to do with the new software but the activity in my forums has risen a bit.

I've been using SMF for a while now. I started out with YabbSE and then heard about SMF and did the switch. Heard it's like a new version of YabbSE, but not exactly since YabbSE is still used.SMF was added to cPanel a few months ago I think. Either way, I think installation is very simple (manual or cPanel).Still learning SMF here even though it's been over a year :lol:Hmm. Trekkie? That name sounds familiar :lol: You from SMF I assume?

SMF Is just quality from start to finish. I switched to it from Invision 1.3 and I couldn't be more happy :lol: In my opinion the best part about it is how it manages extentions which is through their own administration panel which is incredibly easy to use and moderate. Also the general running is very smooth and much easier to use than phpBB for sure.

Im glad you both like SMF.Its buillt around the idea of becoming an amazing piece of software, they have heard our cries and 1.1 will have a lot of new features, mostly all user suggested. Ive even had the lead developer look in on asta atleast three times, just to point him to some of this communitys comments and I can say I felt he was impressed byt he support SMF has on these forums, keep up all the great SMF work.Its a great piece of free softeware and just needs people like free hosts to spread the word, and it wont be long before its the next big script, so help it, grow!

I recently read a book on web standards, which made me notice the little xhtml and css validation buttons on the bottom of the page. I have the Ultimate Shoutbox mod installed, and when I try to validate the xhtml on my forum, the mod makes it invalid with unclosed <center> tags. So, I explorered the mod and the script that puts the shoutbox on the page to try to find a solution. And I have found it. I requires editing of both the mod and the script. I might post it here later if people want it.

Yeah sure, post your changes, im sure its useful to some, you might even wanna check over at simple machines, you may be able to post your changes there, and Grudge (he made it i think?) will maybe include it in a future download of the package.

OK... The only changes in the code are in the shout.template.php and the code that adds the mod on the pages of your board. Here are the changes in the template file:

In this part:

function template_shout_box(){	global $context, $settings, $options, $txt, $user_info, $scripturl, $modSettings;	echo '  <center>';	// Scrolling?	if ($modSettings['enablescrollshout'] == 1)  echo ' 	 <marquee direction="', $modSettings['shoutscrolldir'], '" width="', $modSettings['shoutscrollwidth'], '"  	 height="', $modSettings['shoutscrollheight'], '" scrollamount="', $modSettings['shoutscrollspeed'], '"  	 scrolldelay="', $modSettings['shoutscrolldelay'], '" onmouseover="this.stop()" onmouseout="this.start()">';	// Loop through the shouts!

Simply remove the echo center part, so that it looks like this:
function template_shout_box(){	global $context, $settings, $options, $txt, $user_info, $scripturl, $modSettings;	// Scrolling?

Then, scroll down to this part:

// End the marquee?	if ($modSettings['enablescrollshout'] == 1)  echo ' 	 </marquee>';	echo '  <center> 	 <p><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=shout[CODE]_archive">', $txt['shoutbox_43'], '</a></p>';}

and change the second echo part to this:

echo '  <center> 	 <p><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=shout_archive">', $txt['shoutbox_43'], '</a></p></center>';}

The code I use to add the shoutbox to my board came from the smf forum. It puts the shoutbox to the right of the board. Here's the code after it's been edited:

echo '</td>         <td height="21" valign="top" bgcolor="#404040" /></tr>         <tr>          <td valign="top" bgcolor="#404040" width="150">           <table bgcolor="#828181" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0">            <tr>             <td>              <table width="100%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0">               <tr><td bgcolor="#303030"><font color="#FFFFFF">Shoutbox</font></td>               </tr>               <tr><td valign="top" bgcolor="#252222">', smfshout(), '</td></tr>              </table>             </td>            </tr>           </table>          </td>   </tr></table>';

I may post this in the smf forum later... I'm a bit busy right now...

I just got SMF installed on my website and got a few friends to sign up and was gonna make them moderators but can't figure out how. Can someone please tell me how to?Thanks for the help in advance.

Right, ill explain SMF Moderator logic. With SMF Moderators have powers in the board you specify, so they arent really one group. If yuo want moderators on all boards, then Global Moderator does that.But: Admin -> Modify Boards -> Modify and in that screen in a little window with a box to input moderator names.

Thx for the heads up Trekki so far I think that SMf is one of the best looking boards I've seen. Got a few people in that are on my forums that want me to switch to vBulletin but I don't wanna spend the $85 -$165 USD for it :) So I think I'm gonna see what I can do with SMF and have some FREE fun. lol