xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

How Long Have You Been Programming ?

I have been using computers since I was in highschool. I liked the flash animations which my friends used to email me. I used to draw 2d cartoons and animate them. And later I learned action script to create interactive animations. This was when I was a high school student and all this was fun for me then.When I entered university, even though my major was computers we never used to actually learn it. Since we had a whopping 48 different courses it was insane to try to learn all of them. We just studied to get grades. All this changed, at least for me if not for my friends. It was in 2nd semester that I really got interested in  programming. During the day of publishing of our semester results, our poor crappy university servers couldn't handle the tens of thousands of students trying to see their results at that time. So then I coded a PHP script to get the results of all my batch-mates recursively and store it in a file. Then I got more seriously into the stuff and rewrote the script to get whole university results and store it in database. Tweaked it to get the data efficiently without bogging either of the servers.Now with huge database of results with me, I tried to use the raw data to create useful and interesting statistics. All this way, I learned a lot on how things work and discussed with people and on forums. The statistics generated by my now full fledged web app written in oop php was very popular. I used to email the statistics to all the colleges principal's emails, since the university itself never released any kind of statistics.Then later I got in to visual c++, this too was out of a reason. My cousin's employer wanted GUI's of applications to be coded in C++. So this way I got to get into real world applications while I was doing my university studies. Now currently I am learning C++ with Qt framework.So, on the whole, it was the occasions/conditions (can't find the right word) which pushed me into learning it. If I didn't have got flash animations from my friends I wouldn't have tried flash. I fit were not for the crappy servers I wouldn't have bothered to write the script. If it were not for my cousins employer, I would have never used got into designing GUI's of real world apps.

ummm i started coding when i was in a 6th grade, that time we were fluent with LOGO and GW Basic, It was not a big fun until i came into std.8 when our main coding started. Till then on my own i had learned most of HTML. In 8th second sem we were having Intro Java and other oop languages. When i came to 9th i selected CA as my optional subject and then my hardcore coding started. We were taught Java for 2 yrs and at last we were able to code the Java codes and could even make appz like Rilways Reservation, Library Managment, Banking and all other misc.. In std 10 i was an old player of programming and now i can code some of the most basic languages like Basic lol, Java, HTML, PHP, Python and some of the c++. Now i am 11th or if i pass the exams i will be :). I am looking forward for the asp.net training and become a pro in the iT like but it seems like a hard time to ful fill this dream, as in India no one gives priority to the IT line just study and become an engineer and then work for any company, but my vision is totally different i want to start my own company in IT line or in web line. This topic is on codin and my first code was at the age of 10 to make a circle and some figures using BASIC. Lol now it seems as a baby job but that time i sweared to god i wont live coding basic until i learned Basic and become the hero of my class, lol a childish idea but yes it was a good plan for me programming is really the thing now i cant live without i really love programming even after 6 years and now i think i will be in this line for even after and will master each and every program and become an well known person in the it sector its not my dream its my passion and vision.

When I was a freshman in high school, I started messing with batch and using random programs.
I wasn't really programming much, if you would even call using batch programming.
I started to learn AutoIt (https://www.autoitscript.com/site/
'>
https://www.autoitscript.com/site/
) about 1 1/2 year ago.
I've since learned to work in PHP, JavaScript, Tcl, Perl, and a few others.

That's not to say I actually know all of these, but I can use them.
I know PHP fairly well and JavaScript, but the others I can work in on a decent level with some googling.

Hi!I've been developing small programs using BASIC (QBASIC and Visual Basic) since sometime in 1996, but it was primarily as a hobbyist. I would offer some of the source code through a website I had back then. I submitted some code to a BASIC magazine in 1998 and had it published. It was so much easier to get published in the early days as we didn't have as many developers around as we had today.Over the years, I've had to do some Visual Basic, C/C++, PHP, Java, and C# development, along with HTML markup and Javascripting. Some shell scripts for automated backups and build scripts and batch files for deployment of Windows-based applications were put together too, though I didn't do them too often.It's been a long forteen years of writing software and I have held several full-time programming jobs over the years. Each experience has been slightly different and there was always something new to learn when I switched to a new employer.

Lets start this thread and find out more about our coding roadmap!

The first code I ever wrote was on a BBC Micro Computer that came with its on embedded ROM-OS and ROM-BASIC - this was when I was in my 5th grade (1990-91). It was pretty powerful for those times, offering decent 16-color graphics and a powerful sound engine behind it (using normal computer speakers) - that PCs never achieved.

In about an year or so, I shifted over to PCs coz the lack of applications for the BBC Micro was getting to me (all appz for it had to be either written in Assembly or that ROM Basic). Then came GW-BASIC 2.0 on DOS 4.0. That was fun - big fun.

It any of you still have the old basic interpreters (GW/QB) try out this code - this was one of my very first experiments with CGA graphics. It struck me so amazing at that time that I was able to magnify screen text and add touches of color through a few simple lines of coding.

CLSSCREEN 1PRINT "Text:";INPUT text$FOR x = 48 TO 48 + 10 * LEN(text$)   FOR y = 0 TO 8       IF POINT(x, y) <> 0 THEN           LINE (10 + x * 2, 50 + y * 2)-(12 + x * 2, 52 + y * 2), 2, B           LINE (12 + x * 2, 52 + y * 2)-(14 + x * 2, 54 + y * 2), 1, B       END IF   NEXTNEXT

Next came QuickBASIC, and then Pascal... finally leading to C & Assembly - in such quick succession that I lost count. Now I'm armed with Java, JScript & PHP a little bit, quite solid on the C++, C# & VB.NET Front.

That would be 15 years now :) God, can't imagine so much time has passed by in between.

You are very lucky to give 15 years to such a good learning. I really loved becoming a master in programming languages but unfortunately I could not. There were a number of reasons which I will be sharing with you in this post but first I want to tell you that although I have failed to become an expert in programming languages, I have got the basic knowledge of programming and believe me that it is the most helpful thing when I troubleshoot computer problems. I say that programming basic knowledge is the most helpful thing because these basics develops your understanding about how the computer works. A person having some programming knowledge understands the working of the computer far better than a person with no knowledge of how softwares are made. When I was in the 8th grade I started learning DOS and after enjoying its learning my appetite to become an expert programmer increased and advised by a good teacher of mine I started learning GW basic. After having a sound knowledge of GW basic I came through accidentally a software that was new for me. This software was the Macromedia flash 5 and the best thing was that I had found a CD which taught the Macromedia flash 5 in my mother tongue Urdu which made things very easy for me. I was very impressed with the way the action script of macromedia flash worked and wanted to learn more and more. I remember that I had a great difficulty in developing a program in macromedia that can calculate my Cricket stats and then save the data. I never found a solution to how can I save the data using macromedia flash action script. By the way I continued with visual basic and I bought a very large book for it. You can imagine my love for programming by the fact that I read and practiced 100 pages of that book on the very first day i bought it. But after that there was a very good news for my family and very bad news for my programming love and that was I got admission in a Medical College and now I am becoming a doctor. Although the burden of study of my field do not allow me now to continue with my programming love but still I do some internet surfing to do justice with my love for computers

To answer your question. I started programming in high school where I learned Java. I learned bits and pieces of C++, Python, and Perl on my own. Currently, I am trying to get more experience in C++ as well as other languages. This is so I can make my resume more "colorful".

And when was this? Three months ago? Twelve years ago? :)

It was a few years ago. But I've definitely improved a great deal (in my opinion) since I started.

I have been programming for about 3 years.

I started originally when I was playing this neat MMORPG called RuneScape. I got tired of it, and discovered there was such a thing as private servers (user developed, user maintained). So, I started playing those. Eventually, I got tired of those too. I then said to myself, "Why am I playing on servers that are created by individuals? I am an individual, ** I ** can make one!"

So, that started me off programming in Java. I didn't even know what a boolean was! Eventually I stopped dealing with the game programming, and decided to learn actual software development.

After I quit programming the game servers, I started off in C# - then proceeded to jump from language to language trying to find one that suited me best. I later settled down with Python, and now I'm pretty good with that.

After that, I decided to expand my horizons - and moved from the gentle learning curve of Python to the steep curve (in my opinion) of C++.

I also have a litte experience in Perl, C, SmallBasic, more than a little Java, PHP, tiny weeny bit of JavaScript, bash scripting, and VB.NET.

P.S.: easy_peasy - check out http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_intro.asp - I used them frequently when I was doing a bit of PHP, they're pretty good. I don't know anything about MySQL, however.

I started programming when I was 12 years old. I actually had no clue how to even do it or where to start. I discovered Visual Basic 3.0 and was amazed at the easy controls and access. But still, clueless. To make a long story short, I wanted to do it so bad, I dreamed about it one night, woke up, and just started. Don't know how, but from then on, every language I've come across seems to be the same basic logic. Maybe a different language, but all the same logic which makes languages pretty easy to learn.I stopped programming around the age of 18 or 19.. just gave it up completely. Probably just got tired of it or staring at a computer or whatever it may be. But I never stopped thinking about programming, how different applications worked, how things were designed, where the loop was occurring, or whatever. I attempted to learn Cocoa a while ago, but didn't get too much into it. Cocoa is Mac programming. I think it is closely related with C++ which is still a language I struggle to learn. And I just got busy with life, so I wasn't able to learn it.Recently, I just had an idea for a website and didn't want to go the old fashioned HTML and JavaScript which is all I knew, so a friend introduced me to PHP and MySQL and I've fallen in love and although I didn't take the time to learn every single aspect of the language -- just working with it through trial and error and through observation and looking at source codes from different websites, I'm able to understand it. So I'm happy to say I'm somewhat back into programming. I feel at home and at place again. It's not my full time job, but definitely a hobby. So I guess overall, minus the years I wasn't programming, I've been a programmer for about 5 years or so. Always learning something new.. and glad I'm getting into it again.