xisto Community

Its called a parked domain! Thats the whole point. Some people don't want their real url domain to be seen. For example, my domain is z80revelation.astahost.com, which is the name of my programming group. If I were to start a personal website, I would probably like a different url. So, instead of having http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
aboutme I can have a .tk domain. Even though I would prefer one of these domains. americain domain or a european one. These are alot faster than .tk and I think their cool. :rolleyes:

I had a .tk domain before.At first I thought how awesome it was to have a shorter (and not to mention,better) url because i was using freewebs back then and i hate the freewebs.com/yoursitename thing. but the pop-up ad is really annoying. so i just looked for a another host just to get a better url even without it.

THIS IS THE BEST PLACE TO MAKE A DOMAIN NAME CAUSE ITS SHORT AND I'VE BEEN A MEMBER THERE FOR A LONG TIME AND IT'S ALL WORKED OUT PERFECTLY!

(d'vampress Posted Apr 14 2005, 10:39 AM )I had a .tk domain before.At first I thought how awesome it was to have a shorter (and not to mention,better) url because i was using freewebs back then and i hate the freewebs.com/yoursitename thing. but the pop-up ad is really annoying. so i just looked for a another host just to get a better url even without it.

I agree with d'vampress...
Don't bother with .tk go to this site: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. it is much, and I mean much better... I think that this site is the best that I have used. It's free, you don't have to worry about them deactivating your domain, and no forced ads... :rolleyes:

Meh I have a couple of .tk's that I let other people use.I don't like to use .tk's b/c of the reasons mentioned in the other posts.I reguraly just get a .com or .net or something like that b/c they are much faster and no pop ups unless you want them to be there.But, if you didn't have any money then .tk or another free url forward option is the way to go.

Well, i used to have a .tk domain name and it worked fine for me. I believe it's possible to take off the popup with a script in the index-page of your site. Not sure, will look it up.

.tk are an awesome choice if you don't have money or a credit card to buy a regular domain. They are quite popular in my country (Bolivia). My old website was .tk untill I figured out a .com domain costs only 8$ per year :rolleyes:

.tk websites are fine if you do have regular hits on your website. I lost my site because i didn't reach the 90 hits (I was 2 short). However, apart from that I found the service to be rather good. I already have the .com and .co.uk for my business website, but wanted some others that had already been registered (e.g. nhspayroll.com) Makes it easier to have nhspayroll.tk. By the way, for those who do not know, Tokelau is an island in the pacific ocean.Once I have been able to log into cpanel (it's not working at the moment) I will be moving my website over, but at the moment I have it with freehosting.hostrave.com. not bad, but no cgi.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It's disastrous if you use a .tk or any of the free domain redirection services out there for your business or corporate website. It really conveys a really unprofessional image for your business. I can recall an incident where I came across a web-hosting company on a .tk domain.

It's disastrous if you use a .tk or any of the free domain redirection services out there for your business or corporate website. It really conveys a really unprofessional image for your business. I can recall an incident where I came across a web-hosting company on a .tk domain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what you mean. I can't see why anyone would want to buy a .tk domain. Because so many people have free ones, buying one and using it for something looks crappy, espically when you could buy a better, more professional one for the same (or a lower) price.

Any website I see with a .tk domain, I assume is a free, and rather rubbish site (that the was probably made in less time than took me to look at it) probably hosted on Geocities or some other low quality host.

I have a .tk redirection domain, youlikejava.tk. I hated their frame redirection, which made my forum not work, so I pointed their redirection to a page with a simple javascript redirection script (parent frame redirection to escape DOT TK's frame redirection) that pointed to teh real website.SOme peopel have had trouble to access .tk domains I ahve heard, especially those using Road Runner (ISP). I didn't see anyone having troble with it hre, but if anyone does, you can simple chagne your DNS server (on Windows it's in Internet Options) to 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3, or 4.2.2.4 (I ahve no information about these servers, but I use them and they work perfectly).

.tk are an awesome choice if you don't have money or a credit card to buy a regular domain. They are quite popular in my country (Bolivia). My old website was .tk untill I figured out a .com domain costs only 8$ per year :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got mine at less than $3, dot tk removed my redirect just bcoz I shutdown my site for a month due to debugging of my scripts..

after that, they never heard of me ever again.. I just setup my a no IP domain and host my own website.

that was a few years ago when windows exploits can't be read on a "general discussions" section on forum boards.

Now I buy my own domain at a cheaper price..

"Also isnt it true your .tk can get shutdown or someone else can have it if it isnt used much"Yes that is true, there is some quota, some numebr of users using the .tk domain. It shouldn't be a problem, the quota is not very high, and, unless you have a domain name that is highly sought for, it won't be a problem.