xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SingleDaddyof2

Is There Such A Thing As A "paid Moderator" Hear of any forums that pay their staff?

I'm currently a moderator at 2 sites, this one and a sportscard trading forum (over 7000 members, but I think only about 1000 are pretty active). At both sites, I've only became a moderator this year. Its a great learning experience in learning how to manage forums. Both have quite a bit of responsibility and require good decision-making skills. But has anyone ever heard of any forums that pay their staff anything? Just curious...

You're a moderator for your own fun and to help people. If you want to be payd for it they will search for someone else because there are (i think) lots of people who want to be moderator.

You're a moderator for your own fun and to help people...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite right. It is fun and I do like helping people. I find my eyes are especially attracted to the words "Help", "How Do I..." and "Question About".

...If you want to be payd for it they will search for someone else because there are (i think) lots of people who want to be moderator.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you didn't get the impression that I wanted "them" to pay me, especially since nowhere in my initial post did I state that I'm looking to be paid. In the "real world", people are employed if the employer feels an employee can help generate revenue and justify the cost of hiring that person. I don't get the impression that this forum takes in enough revenue to justify paying moderators. That this forum is offering free webhosting is more than generous IMHO. The members and staff here also contribute a wealth of knowledge that is priceless IMHO and I personally benefit from their wisdom and knowledge. Believe me, I don't plan on going anywhere. Especially since, realistically, I'm a newbie moderator. :)

Haha, what do you mean by "paid moderator"? Do they get paid by cash? LOLI am a member of admin group of a forum. I dont think moderators (including me) are working for money even though some of them really deserve it for their huge contributions. As a moderator, it gives you honour and reputation in a forum and some administrative rights as well. If you dont do what a mod should do and demand for money from a community then a lot of people are willing to jump into your position now.There is no employment in a community where people sharing ideas and helping each other. It's like we are volunteers!!!

Oh you mean you're not being paid? hehe jokesI took up this position out of volunteering to help, plus the forums were pretty new then and it seemed like a good idea to be involved in the community as it was becoming quite hard to keep everything in order.The payment out of it, I guess you get respect and someone to look up to, and you get to make (break) the rules! (joking the breaking part)MC

Hmm, I don't think anyone would pay someone to moderate their forums online -maybe except big dumb companies who don't know where to put all their extra money-, because forums don't really require moderators to function properly. But, if it were a real forum (though I can't think of what a real forum would be) with real people talking, moderatorsof that forum might be paid to keep people quite and talk one at a time. OK, that sounded weird. Anyway, there are some people who get paid moderating, I believe, because they work in a support forum where they get paid to answer questions, and they also have to moderate at the same time too. Am I too confusing?

People do get paid, think of webhosts they get paid for being support etc? Well not on free hosts but on huge companys they would be. That wpuld be my ideal job though, although id probably fight for it to become an SMF forum :)

Jup, and I've never heard of any paid modder-eters (dutch joke), I guess it should be considered an honor to be a mod.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOLOL jipman, but I am a moderator, not a modder-eter (am dutch too).

I accepted the moderator position here simple because I thought it would be a nice thing to do. It's fun, at times, yes, it can get annoying. Especially when you've just read through a big part of the forum to delete the random "LOL" posts, you've just checked for copied posts and you go back and see that some dude copied an entire article. That can be frustrating. But that is why we're a team, we can vent about it as well to each other :)

Getting paid to do this?? Well, to some extend we are getting paid to be contributing members here, we get hosting (excellent hosting if I may add that :(). Being a moderator brings forth some responsibilities but also some fun. You get to know the other mods/admins and you probably become friends a lil ;) You learn from eachother etc. You know what I mean (well I hope so LOL)

Maybe I am the only mod that actually feels proud to be a mod, it's an opportunity given to me. A learning experience ;) We may not get paid, but for some of the youngens amongst the mods, we can note our modding experience as extra curricular activity on our resumés ;)

LOLOL jipman, but I am a moderator, not a modder-eter (am dutch too).

Nooo, You're belgian :).

What i do like about this forum is that the mod's arent so strict, so you can post what you think.(of course, you shouldn't over do the freedom-of-speech thingy, but you catch my drift :()

Nooo, You're belgian :(.

What i do like about this forum is that the mod's arent so strict, so you can post what you think.(of course, you shouldn't over do the freedom-of-speech thingy, but you catch my drift ;))

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I am Belgian. Flemish to be exact ;)

Well, we may not be the strictest... and in my case, my strictness also depends on the time (of the month) LOL ;) (*sees all the guys run for cover*) No, serious. If we would be very strict the forum would not flourish as it does. But we do enforce some basic rules, especially the advertising, spamming and copying from sites to get more credits. Because after all, this is a business. Even though here at Xisto.com there is no official payment. But you pay for the hosting nonetheless, in activity, sharing knowledge, helping out,... What better way to get hosting then while having fun :)

Sometimes I've had a lousy day and am in a really bad mood. Then I just browse through the fora, in my mod shoes ;) And go for it, with a vicious strike LOL. But it sure feels good, to know that you've just got an abuser of the board ;)

People do get paid, think of webhosts they get paid for being support etc? Well not on free hosts but on huge companys they would be. That wpuld be my ideal job though, although id probably fight for it to become an SMF forum :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The criteria's pretty hard if you want to get accepted as a paid moderator on very big forums with many many members which is owned by companies. You need to be a recognised expert in that particular area.

LOL...Oh god...Being paid to be a mod...Tell me how that one goes...And you know if you ever find sucha place...You'll pm your old buddy SpaceWaste right ? :)Nah...The people that get paid to work on forums are first of all normaly admins if anything...Cuz a mod's job is normaly just for kicks n such.N secondly rearely are admins paid either...Unless they work on other parts of the website..For example helpdesk or some random thing like that.Besides only companies making vast amounts of money can afford to hire people for things like moderators...And if they did they'd have a stricked requirement sheet...Plus probably only hire people that have been witht he company for a long time.Oh well...Best of luck on your online jobsearch....Some companies do hire just to work online form your comp though...Like nilsc said so himself that even when he's home he's working through his comp :(

People will be one day soon. We have ecommerce, people get paud for working there, it wont be long before working on a forum is like working ourside your home, heck you may goto the office boot up your linux box, open firefox and put down your coffee on some Windows free trials cd's you removed from packets. Then go onto your SMF forum and moderate it :)