xisto Community
Charly1405241472

Gmail Dangerous?

I put all my trust into Google's Gmail. Their ad technology is the same that they use on websites in the Google Adsense program. It simply looks for keywords (such as "music") and displays ads for those keywords, just like it does with the websites.Google says no one will read your email and I trust them. I have talked to people who work at Google and they hire really nice employees. Nothing is wrong with Gmail.I put my full trust into Google because why would they be reading OUR emails? They know that emails are private and will keep them that way. The thing you just have to be worried about is reading email at work or in a public place. Some places install software that sends screen shots over the network to the admin's computer (my school does this). That's what you need to be worried about... not some ad server.I'll continue to use Gmail no matter what. Just because Google is more advanced then Yahoo! or Hotmail, I know they would NOT invade a person's privacy without permission or unless the FBI contacts them about an account. THEN they'll open your account to the FBI....[N]F

It is simple, just encrypt your email. Or send your messages in a jpg that your friends have a key to unlock discarding the jpg and reading the content. It is hard to decode a picture or image.

I put all my trust into Google's Gmail. Their ad technology is the same that they use on websites in the Google Adsense program. It simply looks for keywords (such as "music") and displays ads for those keywords, just like it does with the websites.

Google says no one will read your email and I trust them. I have talked to people who work at Google and they hire really nice employees. Nothing is wrong with Gmail.

I put my full trust into Google because why would they be reading OUR emails? They know that emails are private and will keep them that way. The thing you just have to be worried about is reading email at work or in a public place. Some places install software that sends screen shots over the network to the admin's computer (my school does this). That's what you need to be worried about... not some ad server.

I'll continue to use Gmail no matter what. Just because Google is more advanced then Yahoo! or Hotmail, I know they would NOT invade a person's privacy without permission or unless the FBI contacts them about an account. THEN they'll open your account to the FBI....

[N]F

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only thing I don't like is that you can't send .exe files. Hotmail which allows these files and scansis better, but of cource offers barely any favourable features. Gmail is good for keeping backups etc of your emails. Thats what I do anyway :D

gmail does scan ur mails but only for the targeted ads.atleast thats what they claim :D .

Even if it does scan ur mail ?wots wrong?DOes ur mail contain military secrets or something? :D does is contain a code to unlock a Nuclear Missile?Still if u wanna be really safe encrypt ur message here cypherixhttp://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and send them as text files :D .

According to me google is thee best.I dont have any Top Secret codes for any missile.

I use the 2 Gb space for storing files and sending it to my friends and father.Its super fast.

Sending a attachment couldnt have been faster!IF u send one from one gmail account to another it reaches within about 10 mins :P !.I have 5 accounts already.

If u need a gmail id go to Gmail Spoolerisnoop.net/gmail/ U can get gmail ids from here.

My opinion about gmail ;) is very short ,it had a huge space , lighting fast speeds,so in all It Simply Rocks! :D .

U if avent got one yet get it now!!

I do think... its all because gmail is on the rise and soon will be one of the mostly used webmail... but i love gmail and its capability... though i think its because the information its all keeping about the user it is turning malicious... but it is fine with me

I really don't understand what all this hue is about!!! Before making such an issue about it, we should see the technology behind it. Google just "scans" e-mails, picks out some keywords, and shows some ads about it!!! all this is quite automated with no human interference, and the keywords aren't stored in any log files either - the minute you close the browser window - it's gone. and besides, this is a very clean way of ads, they give us exactly what we want and not some ****.

Oh COME ON! Citizens of the Earth! Has anyone thought how IF gmail is dangerous and may pose a threat to our confidential e-mails, they most DEFINITELY be sued or jailed for not conforming into the rights of their company. Google is a company which is looked-up to by many. It has developed and is still develping. We all know that Google's gmail is scanning our emails for detecting scams or junk of the sort, but they are doing it for our own use. Its free, big, and fast. Why waste it? Besides, if gmail is still in closed Beta with unknown bugs and errors, will YOU use it for important e-mails?  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True that! I totaly agree. If your jealouse or you don't like the way google does things, don't use it! Nobody's being forced to do anything.

aside from when they switched their domain from http to https, i've had no trouble with their mail service. its the fastest i've seen, and the ads aren't annoying, as opposed to other mail services like yahoo. if i want to send an .exe file, all you have to do is rename the extension to something else, and just write a note saying what to change it back to. like give it a .jpg extension. or zip it. i think all the hullabaloo over gmail's snooping is highly overrated. no, i don't think that they're angels and not sticking their noses into everyone's mail, but at the same time they let you know that they'll do that. you're not forced to sign up for an account with them. whereas others like yahoo, hotmail and probably every other service, they don't make these announcement that they're scanning and filing your mail, but i'll bet my laptop that they do. why wouldn't they? this kind of information nowadays especially is valuable. and i think this makes it worse because you think you're safe in your bubble, and no one is reading your mail. So encrypt it, whatever your service.

I have to make my point accross again. Here, I'll put it in capitol letters for everyone to read (I'm not shouting when I say it either.)

GMAIL IS NO DIFFERENT THAN THE MAIL SERVER FOR YOUR COMPANY EMAIL ADDRESS!

Nothing is stopping the IT guys from checking out the email that is going through the server. Now of course they shouldn't do this without prior permission.

And to quote myself:

Their ad technology is the same that they use on websites in the Google Adsense program. It simply looks for keywords (such as "music") and displays ads for those keywords, just like it does with the websites.

Do you really think they hire 100+ employees getting paid 30-50 bucks an hour to read email and match up ads to it???? If that was the case, they would need 5,000+ employees to match up ads for websites in the Ad-Sense program. And Google doesn't have that many employees either.... If that were the case, they would have about 10,000 or so employees on their payroll, which they don't.
Your email is SAFE. Unless you get a notice from Google that they are turning over your entire Gmail inbox to the FBI which we all hope will never happen. And plus, would you want to read all of that email? I hate to read my 20+ messages per day.... let alone over a million and match ads up to them. :)

[N]F

I just thought I'd throw in my two cents to this thread and say that I have no problem with what Gmail does. I have an account there and have sent multiple invites to friends for them to join the service. As a result, I find it safe for my general purpose. But the biggest thing is to just use some common sense when using the service. It's obviously not suggested to put personal identifying information such as a Social Security number or credit card info.

I agreed with all the posts above in praise of Gmail. I've tried out many other free email providers such as Hotmail and yahoo! Mail, and Gmail is by far the best.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about here. The whole "Ad Program" idea is entirely automated, it's not like some person reads your messages. Actually, it's all done by computer, and as we all know, computers can use data, but they don't understand it, so what's the risk?Let me put it this way. The whole idea is done by computers and not people. To say that you didn't trust the idea would mean you were, in effect, saying that you don't trust computers. And how can that be true? :)

A few years ago people were saying the same thing when Microsoft bought Hotmail. They were worried about information being passes along.Gmail is google. Google has bots. I have a Googlebot that has been scanning my forum for the past week. It is part of the online life.If you read the fine print at Gmail or any place where you receive/send emails, there are rules. Rules are meant to protect the company providing the service. Look at your internet service provider's terms of service. Nothing is absolutely private.Cell phone companies save text messages for quite a few years and keep them in storage in case someone wants them. Sure, let me know what I was supposed to bring home from the store June 23, 2001.Gmail is good and I don't have to pay for it. It is no more "evil" than anything else on the web.Only someone with something to hide would worry.In this electronic age, there is a lot of information out there floating about, easily grabbed. Why worry?Just enjoy the features that Gmail offers and be glad it has an overly generous storage.