xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcguy

Best Background Colour?

Color is totally subjective. What you need to consider is what mood/message you are trying to convey. Strong colors create strong impressions. Subdued colors create milder impressions. Always ensure though that your color scheme follows some simple rules...1: Your colors should be complimentary. Most everything goes with black or white. Other colors can cause visual conflicts. There's lots of goodies out there for generating color schemes.2: Ensure you have enough contrast in your website!!!! This is REALLY important!!! Studies show that websites with lots of color but no real contrast can be difficult to read, especially for the segement of the population that suffers from color-blindness to one degree or another. Black on white is boring, but you can't go wrong, lol. Red on green is VERY visible, but to someone with a certain type of color-blindness, they will see all one shade. Make your values far enough apart to create good contrast!!!3: If you want your site to appear in certain search engines, MAKE DOUBLE SURE none of your foreground text is EVER the same color as the background. Examples of this may include tables where you reverse the color scheme. Innocent enough mistake, I've done it myself. What happens is that some "spiders" will crawl the code on your site and see identical text and background colors, regardless of the position on the page. Some illigitimate designers will pump their pages full of keywords that appear invisible with this trick to generate traffic. That's a serious no-no and should be avoided at all costs. Hopefully this helps you a bit more!!!Cheers,Phoenix :)

Well, I personally like Silver or a dark-colored background, but white is the easiest. It is the easiest because when you make pictures and stuff, the extra space next to the picture is usually white so it makes it look bad when you have a white-boxed picture on a black background. If you have a white background, it won't look like a box.

What do you think is the best colour to use on your website's background? Personally, I prefer white because it gives the impression that my site is very professional and it's always easier to read on white background.

I've seen other colours like black, green, blue, and so on. Which background colour do you think is the best to use on a website?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want a "pro" look you can use white... But you can use any other light colors. In fact, you can use any color you like just make it very light, almost white but not white... that way still looks pro. It fits to rest of your web's colors and it's not still white like milion of other sites...

I always use a dark color on my background; usually black, dark grey, dark blues. I avoid reds as I just don't care for that much red in a design. From there, I build up, layering on progressivly lighter and lighter shades of blue, and stop brightening the design once I reach that level that every design gets to where you just go "I like that."On the whites/almost-whites. I don't feel they are any more professional than the rest of the pages design. No matter what, if your pages are just poorly laid out, it really does not matter what color your background is. As long as the pages are designed cleanly, and are easy on the eyes to read and navigate, you have achieved success.

Well it would depend on the website's design, wouldnt it? lol :( But if you're asking me which I think is better, I prefer white to black. Or, like, the whites/silvers/grays as opposed to the balcks and other dark colors. It's easier on the eyes, i think, and there are so much more colour scheme/design possibilities with lighter colours to dark colors. Black on a white background works for me, i love the classic contrast.

Well, if we want to start talking about background color, we must first know what type of website we wnat to build. Generally for corporate website they chose white (#FFFFFF), soft blue, or even silver (not #C0C0C0... but #EFEFEF). You must believe me that your color will give effects on how long people stay at your website... Calm, cool color will keep your visitor longer.

I also prefer to use white as the background color for my site. I may use a different background color for the <divs> or something like that to give my site some contrast, but I've previously used white as the background of my <divs> and it makes things very easy to read and notice. But, you've got to go with your own personal preferences.

I think the best colors for sites are the ones who suits the site best, according to its theme. If it is a site about Heavy Metal, it would be something dark, black maybe. You get the idea. However, I think that relaxing colors are great speaking in general. “Smoky” colors too (a color mixed with grey). White is an all time classic, but it’s being used too much. I like seeing other colors in the background. It’s quite original.

well, a light background always gives a clean, professional look... assuming u don't clutter it up with other stuffs.personally i'd say if you want to go for a white look, then pursue it to the fullest by making everything on ur page clean and minimal. this gives a clear identity and advantage...never be neither here nor there. that just appeals to no one.

I prefer to have a very light grid colored background. It brings a professional appeal to your website. A very light silver and very semi-light blue for the lines.

I prefer the color purple because the color purple is not light or dark, unless you want it to be.. and it also goes w/ just about everything. You can have purple and limegreen. or purple and orange , or purple and black and so on.. How can you disagree w/ a color as wonderful as purple? You cant..lol

I think white and blues. They make your site seem proffesional and 'cool' or 'easy'.High Contrast backgrounds are bad. Greens, yellows and similar colours, as well as giving you a migrain, just make you stop and go back. How many times have you came onto a site with big red writing and a bright yellow background? Alsol, textured backgrounds look really bad, unless they are featherd or faded a lot, and are white and greay or, pale blue and white, etc.