xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcguy

Best Background Colour?

noooo.... i hate background pictures, those things take up bandwidth, they make the text hard to read.And about background colors, white is byfar the most comfortable background color for your eyes ( I think)

White background against dark texts and blue links, will always do the trick. It connotes simplicity and professionalism. Most sucessful website applies this principle, like Yahoo and Google. If you want usersto read your contents, white is the best color to use. Nuetral colors are the safest colors to use too.

This is stupid in my opinon. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Someone will think that hot pink and lime green mix well and are dull. And some say Black and White is like mixing your sofa with George Bush with a sombrero on. I'd suggest you get a color wheel and/or learn complementary colors and stuff like that.

It might be interesting to note that green was found to be the easiest colour on the eyes in some recent research, however i personally use a matted gray.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not so.

Green is actually the harshest color on the eyes, purple is the easiest. This is because the eye sees more shades of green in the spectrum than those of a purple-ish hue.

Personally, i think the answear to the question at hand is more of personal choice. it dosen't matter what the background color of the site is as long as it's an integral part of the whole layout. This can vary from white to black and anywhere inbetween. That's what i think

White background and dark texts usually do the trick for professional sites. But, if they are going to be doing a lot of reading, I recommend a light gray or beige against dark texts.I've seen a lot of companies with a black background and green/white/etc. texts, and that usually gives me a low impression, specially because it hurts the eyes. Much worse than simple white bg and dark text. Anyway, I recommend the first style for your index and maybe the second for some others. It would also be nice to provide some themes. Look at Yahoo and MSN.

I like black with some neat design on it. I also like a very light yellow or green. To me that looks 'professional'. Since my sites are not meant to look 'professional', I choose black because it looks 'coolest'.

Personally, I have always prefered the darker colors. I like black the most, or a dark blue or purple. I also tend to like silver, not too bright. I really dislike the 'professional' style. If it's on websites other than my own then I don't mind, but I am not the serious, professional type and in my eyes it always looks to..ehm 'old' :P for my own website. I think a white background might be okay if you put a cool design on it.

The best thing to do - I think - when trying to find a good color for the background is

1st - brainstorm what you want the site as a whole to look like.  You want to create a consistent appearance for your website in order to project contiguous image for your site.  If you skip this planning phase you'll likely end up with a website that looks like several pages that don't really fit together.

The overall idea is when choosing a background for a site is to find something that looks nice and pleasing to you (and someone else) while conciously making the color passive.  It also shouldn't interfere with the text on the page either. 

Your best bet is to plan your site.  Start building.  Then reference other sites you feel have a professional look and use them as a reference.  Don't just copy one but look at several and get an overall feel for what they are doing with the colour layout.

Best of luck

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree. The choice of background (whether color or image) depends on the website's target viewers. Will the site be aimed at professionals, gamers, comsumers, forum users, hobbyists, anime enthusiasts, the website owners family, etc.? What looks "professional" to one group will look drab, boring and "old" to another group. As evidenced by everyone's responses here, you can't please everybody. One other thing...if you use images for your background, its best to make them small so that they tile across and down your page--it will load quicker. Any dial-up users out there ever run out of patience waiting for a large image to download? Always make sure there's plenty of contrast between the text and the background. Do the same for visited/unvisited/mouseover text links, too.