xisto Community
cryptonx

I Support Microsoft ! i really do .. i dont care about you

when we buy computers straight from the shop its already installed a windows operating so we have no choice to use it. thats why everyone uses it. because of that everything is run under windows so if we want to run "that" program we need windows. thats the problem with linux some games will work on it, but no "most" games

Duuh. Windows is an Operating System and Linux is a kernel.

I know what you meant, but hey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uurrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!! God whats this world coming to ?? Lol... dude, linux is NOT a KERNEL !! The core files of ANY Operating System constitute IT'S OWN KERNEL... draw an analogy to the biological term kernel which refers to the

the inner and usually edible part of a seed or grain or nut or fruit stone; "black walnut kernels are difficult to get out of the shell"

-- http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Similarly a Kernel when referring to Operating systems is:

The kernel is a program that constitutes the central core of a computer operating system. It has complete control over everything that occurs in the system.

A kernel can be contrasted with a shell (such as bash, csh or ksh in Unix-like operating systems), which is the outermost part of an operating system and a program that interacts with user commands. The kernel itself does not interact directly with the user, but rather interacts with the shell and other programs as well as with the hardware devices on the system, including the processor (also called the central processing unit or CPU), memory and disk drives.

-- http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

There you go... If you claim, Windows doesn't have a kernel then all you are left with is the GUI part, which like X-Windows, is completely incapable of doing anything on its own. Imagine, old Win 98 without the underlying MS-DOS files (IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS) - would the GUI itself run at all without help from these so called "Kernel" Files ??? Your system wouldn't even startup dude !! Even the command prompt would refuse to load - the GUI is a distant thought ;)

they are not platforms , they are CROSS platforms , why would you try to make ur linux look like Windows if you hate Windows ..

good luck with you all , use what you have to use .... I am NOT flaming or hating Linux , I am just supporting my WINDOWS :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First: The people who wrote linux never intended it to look like windows. People who use linux for what it is are happy enough with a dark command line console - coz thats where you get most of your work done. The GUI was created with somewhat close to a windows look coz it'll give prospective users a far shorter learning curve - being already familiar with the windows interface... Did you ever hear of the fact that the whole idea of windows came from trying to copy the Mac interface for PC Users ??? Who's copying whom ?? If you are so in love with the GUI - beat that of Mac !!!

Second: Over 90% of the mission critical systems around the world are running on some flavor of *NIX. Now, THAT ITSELF says a FAT lot ;) I don't need to elaborate any further, I believe. Whatever Microsoft comes up with - they cannot ever think of matching this kind of a feat - unless they tear the whole OS apart and re-program it from ground up. Admit it, Windows was never meant to handle a networked environment with thousands of users under extremely well designed security system. It built upon by applying subsequent patches on the old MS-DOS system - till they thought of adding a little more stability around the NT period. Hell, Windows still doesn't have a DECENT enough File System - not to mention the plethora of viruses that it's plagued with !!!! How come we don't face such problems under Linux ???

Buggy Coding I tell you, giving rise to an unstable platform for viruses to run on ;)

Thank you, someone needed to point this out, and of the other 10% probally 60% of that is macintosh, which is prety much Unix. Windows is ok for the average user, but if you want performance and security Linix is your best bet.

@ microscopic^earthling I was talking on Windows as User Friendly Desktop OS , I don't care for servers ... I dont sit on them ... The other hosting account I have with some Dutch website is using OpenBSD which I think is linux .. And it's a great service .. I have unlimited features there but the only thing that i hate is they are using SFTP ( secure ftp ) which is FOR ME very very slow ..I know that Windows is oringialy a MAC os .. MACs OS existed long ago before Windows and bill did literally copy the OS to PC .But then again If MACs were as popular as PCS ( in terms of software compatability ) I Woul've never bought a pc .. I just love it when JUST ONE EXCELLENT COMPANY (Macintosh ) controlls all its market .. ie fully branded pcs not like PCs that are mostly locally assembled ..so you I know OSX is hella better than Windows but looking at ALL THE FEATURES ARROUND NOW ( including software comptability ) Windows XP SP2 is still the most friendly desktop OS .

@ microscopic^earthling

I was talking on Windows as User Friendly Desktop OS , I don't care for servers ... I dont sit on them ... The other hosting account I have with some Dutch website is using OpenBSD which I think is linux .. And it's a great service .. I have unlimited features there but the only thing that i hate is they are using SFTP ( secure ftp ) which is FOR ME very very slow ..

I know that Windows is oringialy a MAC os .. MACs OS existed long ago before Windows and bill did literally copy the OS to PC .

But then again If MACs were as popular as PCS ( in terms of software compatability ) I Woul've never bought a pc .. I just love it when JUST ONE EXCELLENT COMPANY (Macintosh ) controlls all its market .. ie fully branded pcs not like PCs that are mostly locally assembled ..

so you I know OSX is hella better than Windows but looking at ALL THE FEATURES ARROUND NOW ( including software comptability ) Windows XP SP2 is still the most friendly desktop OS .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Windows was not originally a mac OS. Bill didn't copy macOS other than how it looked. If you have ever used the old windows and mac OS's then you would know that they are miles apart in terms of what they could do and how well they did it.

This is still the case, mac OS and windows are both GUI based Desktop os's. However, after looks, the OS on the mac is still far ahead of windows. And software compatibility is just fine. You simply are not aware of the software for mac because you don't use one. For instance, Windows is completely incompatible with a program called quicksilver for OSX. Not only that, but as far as I know there is NO peice of software for windows that can do what it does.

It all depends on which peices of software you need things to be compatible with. If its games, go with windows. If its major software packages(especially graphics) then either win or mac is fine. If its high end graphics work, mac. If its extremely slick utilities like quicksilver, mac. If its server software, mac or linux/unix. If its software for education, mac. If its random **** off the net, windows.

well as usual you're responding to a total diffrent issue I am talking about games , and almost 90% of freeware software for windows and most of MY used applications ... that includes HTML editors / FTP clients / Graphics Packages and more as for the Bill copying Mac part , I was told so by a represnetive from Apple themselves at CairoICT ( a communication exhibit at cairo ) when I told asked about why would i want a mac and that PCs are good enough , he told me that the basics of the PC belonged orginaly to the Apple , when it started to enhance the PowerPC ( I think ) with ibm and toshiba ... so was Macs OS .. he told me that Windows tho it's based on MSDOS ( Windows 98 back then ) it's very inspired by Apples Os , and even to some core levels ,, that was his exact words .

well as usual you're responding to a total diffrent issue

I am talking about games , and almost 90% of freeware software for windows and most of MY used applications ... that includes HTML editors / FTP clients / Graphics Packages and more

as for the Bill copying Mac part , I was told so by a represnetive from Apple  themselves at CairoICT ( a communication exhibit at cairo ) when I told asked about why would i want a mac and that PCs are good enough , he told me that the basics of the PC belonged orginaly to the Apple , when it started to enhance the PowerPC ( I think ) with ibm and toshiba ... so was Macs OS .. he told me that Windows tho it's based on MSDOS ( Windows 98 back then ) it's very inspired by Apples Os , and even to some core levels ,, that was his exact words .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, inspired is different from 'copy'. Bill definitely did exactly what you said. And for a long time, windows continued to badly rip off macOS. Then mac OS stopped growing, and around windows2k they were about the same. Then, OSX came out, and things were back to normal.

As for the 90% of free software you use being for windows, chances are there are equal if not better things for mac that you don't know about because you don't use one.

as I said I would love to use a mac .. but even for the cheapest Imini i still think spending as much on upgrading my pc will make me forget about any weakness PCs might have .I mean using Linux might be risky ,but its free and ur only installing an OS and the worse that could happen is that u destroy your Windows installation , so yeah I might try linux ..but paying money for something I NEVER EVER used or tried before is completely risky .. especialy when there's no way back !btw while ur here frog after all these posts about me loving windows and you ppl hating it .. I want to try Linux myself to finaly judge for my own .my system specs : P3 1.0 ghz - 256 SDR - Geforce2MX 32 - 40 GB hard disk ( 2 partitions one for windows 10 gb and 30 gb for storage )I can't make another partition , but Can i use the 30 gb storage one ? ( it's FAT32 ) and even if i created another partion and went onI currently have a " Fedore Core " thing ( 2 or 3 cds i think ) is this a good linux distrubition ? for a beginner i mean ?thanks

as I said I would love to use a mac .. but even for the cheapest Imini i still think spending as much on upgrading my pc will make me forget about any weakness PCs might have .

I mean using Linux might be risky ,but its free and ur only installing an OS and the worse that could happen is that u destroy your Windows installation , so yeah I might try linux ..

but paying money for something I NEVER EVER used or tried before is completely risky .. especialy when there's no way back !

btw while ur here frog

after all these posts about me loving windows and you ppl hating it .. I want to try Linux myself to finaly judge for my own .

my system specs :

P3 1.0 ghz - 256 SDR - Geforce2MX 32 - 40 GB hard disk ( 2 partitions one for windows 10 gb and 30 gb for storage )

I can't make another partition , but Can i use the 30 gb storage one ? ( it's FAT32 )

and even if i created another partion and went on

I currently have a " Fedore Core " thing ( 2 or 3 cds i think ) is this a good linux distrubition ? for a beginner i mean ?

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fedora is more for serious linux users. The normal 'beginner' linux's are Mandrake and Knoppix and Ubuntu. Ubuntu in particular is pushing for userfriendliness. I can't say too much more because I stopped caring about linux after getting a Mac. But I suggest those. Ubuntu in particular will ship you CDs of thier distro for free.

Wow. This topic has really hit the forum big time. Regarding the Mac and windows topic, I still agree on windows being a better OS. I like the newest version of the Mac OS theme though and for the dock, anybody heard of Yz Dock? Haven't tried it out yet but i just downloaded it. Seems innocent though (No hacks or anything if thats what u think :P )

Wow. This topic has really hit the forum big time. Regarding the Mac and windows topic, I still agree on windows being a better OS. I like the newest version of the Mac OS theme though and for the dock, anybody heard of Yz Dock? Haven't tried it out yet but i just downloaded it. Seems innocent though (No hacks or anything if thats what u think  :P )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you ever used OSX for any length of time? There is a lot more to an OS than the 'theme' as you put it, or even the existence of the dock.