xisto Community
d-and-d

Play Anything?

i play guitar, bass and drums. i always wanted to learn piano too but i have no such extra time for that. wonder if i'm still going to learn. lol

I used to play piano but I quite. Now I play trombone/basstrombone, and electric guitar. I'm just starting guitar but I'm liking it a ton. I play trombone in my highschool's symphony band and marching band, i know im wicked cool. I used to play in the jazz band until I got a job.

Yeah. When I was little my parents tried to force the piano on me. Later I played the alto and tenor sax in the school band. It really wasn't that fun. The tenor sax never really has any interesting parts, except in jazz band, and that's only sometimes.Now I tried to learn some classical guitar. I'm lazy, so I can't really play anything. Heh.Also I play around with Garage Band program sometimes.

I play Jazz. I play mostly rock type stuff now but occassionally I get together with some people who can really play jazz and we jam. I play the guitar, bass, drums, violin, keys, etc.. If anyone wants to talk music let's do it. This could be a much bigger forum for that. Also if anyone has any music to share please do that would be cool. Doesn't anyone out there have a band or a website or anything?? I am working on one right now for my band at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ if anyone cares to check it out. If anyone out there has a band/site and cares to exchange some ideas and trade some original music or something let me know.

i play the piano, trumpet, clarinet, and voilin. was in a youth symphony four years too long and played a lot of classical, jazz, & baroque music. I'd like to play more jazz, tho

I was wondering - do any of you guys play an instrument yourself, or do you only listen to other artist's stuff.

Personally I play guitar, piano and trombone.  I think it great to be able to be creative myself.  Does anybody else play anything, have an opinion etc?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes! I have been playing guitar for about 8 years now, piano for about 10 months, and i want to learn how to play the violin. Im 17 but ill be turning 18 in 21 days and hopefully purchasing another guitar to add to my collection. I like playing piano, however, i think guitar is a lot better, i just love the sound of a guitar, and the fact that you can pretty much take it anywhere. I like playing my accoustics more often then my electrics, i guess thats a personal preference though. But now i want to learn the violin, i love the sound of it and the skill that is needed to play it. Nowadays, many songs that have the violin add more power to the music, an aspect that i think is valuable in music today. How about you, what do you prefer?

I've been playing the Viola for about 6-7 years, I also can play the harmonica and the recorder.That's pretty much it, I wish I new how to play piano or base guitar. Oh well. I personally love the viola, the sound is perfect, lower than a violin and higher than a cello. Priceless.

I have been playing guitar for about 3 years now and I love it. I really want to learn to play the drums as well but I doubt I will be able to afford it!! Im really into hardcore and metalcore stuff so I play mostly that!! Cant beat a good old classic tune once in a while though :P

i play bass :blink: there a good sound effects program for your pc to play your gutiar through , its called guitarfx

guitar software enables you to turn your computer into a guitar effects processor. Simply plug your guitar into the microphone or line input of your sound card, run this software, then press "Start" button. To stop playbacking pre-recorded guitar sounds click once on a picture of a small red lamp placed left to fx-slot with "Playback wav" title. Enjoy real-time crazy distortion smoothed by power filters and shaped by multi-band equalizers!

the sounds a bit crackly for me but it might just be my pc or dodgey leeds :mellow:
but is still worth a go :huh:

Cheers
Ben2005

Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, EEb Contra Alto ClarinetOkay, yeah, yeah, I know they are the same thing only bigger with a deeper sound, but I made All-state and a college scholarship back in the day on the Contra Alto Clarinet. 1500 a semester to play in 2 college concert bands wasn't a bad gig. Beat having to work. Although I havn't picked up my clarinet in nearly 5 years and my bass clarinet in over 3. I never owned the Contra Alto, better the school owned the $7,000 intrument. I really should think about joining a community band or something just to get back into practice.

I play guitar bass t-sax and piano.  Anybody here play with a band at all?  Whats the best resources for unsigned bands?  Maybe this would be better in a topic of its own but it seems like there's a big demand out there for better ways for an unsigned band to get noticed.  Personal experiences anybody?

1064283048[/snapback]

Well, for unsigned bands your job is really to get word of mouth and 'buzz' going. Anything that does that is good. This is why some 'shock' acts work. The shock creates buzz.

First, cut some tracks and mix them using mastering software and put up MP3s.

https://www.scene.org/ is a place that will take them, there are many others as well.

Play a lot of clubs, and be professional.

Learn to play a crowd. Leave the audience captivated so all they can do is talk about you.

Learn about contracts. This keeps you paid, and it keeps you out of trouble.

Learn about marketing. SERIOUSLY. Good marketing will go a long way. Its part of the 'buzz' thing.

Be distinctive. I realize that this may be counter intuitive given the manufacture crap on the radio, but being distinctive is what makes people remember you.

Know your market. Know what type of people like your type of music, and get them samples. If you have a good market, and good buzz, and some 'cred' in whatever scene you are in, you are a lot more likely to get signed. Labels want to make money, if you can show that you have a market that will pay money for your work, they are a LOT more likely to take you on.

While I'm not proud (:)) of it, I can play the recorder like nothing you've ever seen before... hehe...

Well, truthfullly, I could play recorder, when I was younger. I've still got the skill, but it probably requires some refining now.

Also, I tried guitar for a bit; if I strum fast enough, I can make, well, noise...

Oh, and I can do this piece; I'm not sure of the exact song/etc of it, so I'm going to SPELL out the beat for you guys, and you see what you can make of it:

Dum, duem, dam, dume, dum, due - DAM... dume dume, dam - DAM DAM...
Haha! There is just no way anyone will really get what that is; still, IF someone does, good job, because I can barely make out what I put.

Thanks,

HTML_Guru