xisto Community
prolifik

P2P programs(merged) What P2P program are you using?

I use bearshare i have tried other ones but i definitly prefere this one than the other ones, i can always find what i am looking for on bearshare when i can't find it anywhere else-chris

giFT all the way !!!it runs as a daemon (like all network services should !)you can controll it with a great number of GUI's,You can leave it running at home, and tell it what to download / get info on porgress from work / university.and it is able to use all 3 major p2p networks.. Gnutella, FastTrack(the kazaa network) and OpenFT.Its Open source, (so no adware / spyware / or any other little nasties)and it will run on just about anything.

I've tried kazaa, bearshare, limewire and stuff like edonkey but didn't really like any of them - too much stuff bundled in and too many viruses. I use winmx and bitlord at the mo.

yeah...p2p...interesting...i dont like most of them because of the trojans and junk that theyll put onto your computer mainly kazaa...but i do use bitcomet and azerus and i have found them to be great, i can leave them running while im away for days and they will get everything that i need without problems, they have few trojans and they are easy to get rid of, finds users quickly and able to download large files quicker than youd think (3.4gig in 1 hour at 80kbs-which is slow for me)

Ive used Kazza but I dont like it, I use WinMX and Limeware now...also does mIRC count as P2P? - in my opinion its the best place for full albums etc although you are at risk a little, or so im told.

Imesh is definately the best, it includes not only the imesh network, but also overnet and kazaa..so you get everthing in one - also if you dont like all the spyware and adware, theres a lite version (same as the original, just not by the same company and without the junk) there web site is now http://www.im-l.com/

I've tried kazaa, bearshare, limewire and stuff like edonkey but didn't really like any of them - too much stuff bundled in and too many viruses. I use winmx and bitlord at the mo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There aren't any virus in Limewire! Its also completely open source.

You can minimize it to the system tray so that your downloads/uploads aren't disturbed whilst you do something else.

I liked Kazaa until 1) the ad-ware became unbearable. 2) Got a virus that my Anti-virus couldn't do anything with and I had to manually go in and trace the junk down to remove it from my computer.. Then I started going the Bit-Torrent route and haven't had any troubles with anything since then.

I tried Shareaza before, after reading of the many positive reviews on Download.com. But it has spyware - it tries to add a obscure program called Giftopen.exe to your windows startup. apparently, it acts as a trojan horse.I think the best p2p program is Limewire - fast, have the files i want, and is adware/spyware-free.

My best experiance with p2p is with Limewire, you can download it here. After installing it try to search for the pro version. after installing the pro you´ll get faster searches and downloads. It´s adware and spyware free and simple to install...

Being at a major university I have had the great pleasure of using DC++ over the Internet2 through i2hub's hub. I never have any downloads under 1 MB/s. If you have a internet connection through a university or other educational institution you may have access to an Internet2 hook up and may be able to enjoy this as well. If you would like to see if you can use this go to http://www.waynechang.com/ and check their list of supported universities and colleges. Also be sure to check out Peer Guardian, google it. It is a piece of software that acts a specialized firewall that can block all known RIAA, MPAA, Government, Educational, and some other IP's from establishing connections with your computer...It could save you from getting a sub-poena.

I used Kazaa when it first came out and morpheus. Then as I got more into the P2P realm I started using bit torrent then moved out of kazza and morpheus to emule. Then when i found Warze P2P I move to it and now dont even use it. I'm stricktly bit torrent now and use the latest version of Azureus as of this post.