xisto Community
wannabeeaweak

where can i get a messages board

if you want full control over your Forum , I recommend finding a free host that supports PHP and host your own PHPbb2 .. installation is Fairly simple and straight forward .. I've never ever tried PHP before , Yet I installed PHPbb2 in a matter of minutes ..

Lol, might've know Trekkie would put SMF down, but I would have to agree, SMF is a great forum, apparently it is very secure as well, in case you have problems with hackers. You can download SMF and then upload it to your host if you have one, or you can also check out SMF Host if you need to have it remotely hosted. Just register, read the appropriate stuff and then post in the hosting requests board. The main SMF Host page is SMF, so if you wanted to see it in action, you can there :( .

SMF is a pinical of security and I do premote it here a lot, youll see a lot of people actually listened and tried it, fell in love and now spread it far and wide, SMF is the forum system of the future and we should all bow down to it.

I suggest using http://www.forumotion.com/Lots of features and easy to use smile.gif
Even a 13 year old (like me) could make one using forumotion

Forummotion is not for those who want to have commercial interest out of it. People on asta not just want to use web hosting but they want customization as well. If forum-motion allows customization then there was no need for people to grab paid hosting just to host their forum. Basically forum-motion offers phpbb2, phpbb3, IPB and PunBB. Though people do get attracted to their offer of IPB hosting for free. But infact it is not free and your forum content is on their servers. With free hosting you can't object if they lose your data. You can't claim your ownership of the content hosted on their server.

So when to choose forum-motion ? You can use forum-motion before setting up your own forum with any paid webhosting company. With which you are going to work for long time as you've long term plans with your forum site. If you're choosing forumjump with long term plan and thinking about profit out of it. Then it is better not to sign up with them. Forumer is also famous for phpbb, IPB hosting for free, and it is alive for longer time. If you want to set up forum with no profit intention and can't afford paid hosting as well in that case you can choose forumer and forum-motion.

Forums are run by members, more active the members more busier the forum becomes. Forums are generally created in an already existing website which gets quite a lot of visitors who are already posting comments to the articles, reviews etc. In that case the member base may build up quickly. So having a dedicated, owned forum is more appropriate than creating on one of the free forum creation services being offered around.And considering the other case, where a forum has no user base or any other traffic sources for quick development of the forums, then it would be appropriate to test it out on a free forum service first. There is actually no problem in hosting with the free forums, they run popular forum softwares. But the thing is that not many or almost none of them offer backup feature to backup the databases. Well, it would be great if such services offered 'anytime backup' feature, so that the forum creator can backup the database from time to time. This way he could rest in peace knowing that all the data is safe and if the something odd happens with the free forums service, the owner can easily restore the data on another/own hosting.And when there sites like Xisto which offer 'free paid hosting' with all the features which even a paid hosting wouldn't offer then there is nothing more to look about.

Yeah, Spencer, Xisto and Xisto forums are licensed IP.Boards. OpaQue obviously purchased 2 licenses, maybe 2 Perpetual or lifetime licenses. However, IPS don't do Lifetime licenses anymore, only Business, Standard and Perpetual licenses. Reasons to why FREE forum hosts don't provide IPB 2.x hosting is because they wouldn't want to pay for like...millions of licenses for each free forum. :D Yeah, they probably use IPB v1.3, IPS don't give a damn about that version at all, even if it was nullified and used, since it doesnt require a license, besides, users could just use a fake license for it, though IPS wouldn't act on.

Edited by -Sky- (see edit history)