xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LuKrAsHa

Windows or Linux

OK, in a thread called Windows or Linux you have to accept that not everyone will agree with your choice.

Right, what you say is there will be as many virusses for linux as there are for windows now, should everybody use linux.

I did not imply that this would happen to linux, I was simply stating the point that because so many people use Windows that there are that many viruses. I hope people do switch to linux because that would reduce the volume of viruses and also would force Microsoft to step up and improve Windows XP (which in MY opinion is unrivalled in user-friendliness)

Proving things with something you don't and can't know, very thoughtful. But nevertheless, not enough. Are you trying to deny the fact that Linux is far more secure than Windows?

where?

Are you saying that windows and Linux have the same security issues?

where

Then I advice you to do some research first before you start ranting.
Before you try ranting,
get a clue.

Is using Linux in IT classes for 3 years enough of a clue? Or do I have to read the source code and learn how to program it.

There is a limited amount in games in Windows as well, I think... Solitaire, Minelayer, and a few more; if you're lucky, you have about 10. In Linux, depending on the distro you use, you have a few thousand. If you didn't know that, then I can only say one thing to you: "Get a clue."

my favourite game is Championship Manager which is not avaliable on Linux. Most of the newest games don't compat with linux.

Your favorite applications aren't compatible? What bull? Your favorite applications were written for Windows. They do not run in other OSes. In a way, since you're a windows user, that does make sense..... Somehow. Think about it.

GIMP is OK but surely you don't think it's better than photoshop. iTunes is perfect in my opinion and it is the only thing I would use to update my iPod with, that would be lost through Linux. Firefox and Opera ARE compattable with Linux but hardware like my bluetooth dongle etc aren't.

Its True that not all games are compatably with Linux... HOWEVER games on linux are cathing up.UnrealTournament2003 and 2004 both shipped with a linux installer !Also, ID software released a Free Doom3 engine for Linux.. (which basically means the binaries are free, but you need to buy the windows CD for the game content)And they released the Linux Version Months ago, and they only recently announced that they are starting work on a MacOSX version.Games companies are starting to realise the number of ocnsumers using Linux, and they are rating them higher than the Mac.Anyways.. ahh yes. user friendlynes... we could argue this point till the cows came home (one of my fave expressions) and would never reach a conclusion.my arguemt for my opinion (that KDE is more user friendly) is as follows.I have 2 computers... only One is connected to the internet, and dual boots , Linux for me, Windows for the family. t connects to the cable modem through a network card.for reasons ill not go into, i needde to have both computers connected to the internet at the same time.i connected the main computer to the second computer via the network cable, and connected the main computer to the cable modem via USB.with the new network settup i booted both windows and linux... who both auto detected that the network card was nolonger connected to the internet, just a small lan, and the USB port was the new internet connection. it was also easy to set them both to share the interne ocnnection across the local area network.the problem arised when a week later, i rewired the network again to its origonal state.The first time i rewired the network, the operating systems detected that the netowrk card was nolonger on the internet by the fact that there was no DHCP anymore. (there usually is) so they gave the card a static IP.when i rewired again, i wanted the cards tobe configured by dhcp again.. i had to tell them this, since there was no way for the cards to realsise there now was DHCP again...in linux, this was as simple as changing a line from "ifconfig_eth0=192.168.0.1" to "ifconfig_eth0="dhcp"in windows....... well, it took all day.windowsXP is fluffy, it doesnt want to scare users with words like "DHCP" so there was no Use DHCP clickbox.the wizzards were just spawning error messages about my internet connection though USB being gone.. and itt kept listing the network card as local area connection.so i couldnt use the wizzards, and there was no way of forcing dhcp to be used.i eventually had to uninstall the netwokr card, re-boot, re-install the network card, just to trick XP into scanning for DHCP.annoying !

I have got a home network, with an ISDN modem on my USB, and all I do is set the internet connection to internet connection sharing and away I go. Any PC I connect to the network I just set it to use DHCP (Right click the local area network chose properties, double click TCP and set use DHCP) and away I go. Now with SP2, I even have a firewall for my home network.

You don't understand qwijibow. He said that he had that as well, but only after it having switched to static, it didn't switch back.qwijibow, you should've gone Network Connections, rightclicked your connection, gone to properties, clicked Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Properties, and there selected to have the ip & dns settings been detected automatically. You're right, it doesn't mention DHCP unless if you press Alternate or Advanced config or something.

Windows OS is quite user friendly than UNIX or LINUX OS many people round the world use windows....Gamers mostly ( or let me say all) use Windows. Almost all games are created for windows.but windows is too expensive. Linux users are classified as System Administrators, Coders, programmers, hackers.Linux are much more stable than windows in terms of Security,.most viruses are created for Windowsnot much viruses are created for linuxwindows deals with moneywhilelinux deals with human knowledge belongs to the world

I agree that windows deals with money, but I see the near future that windows will make it available free for non profit use. i.e If you are a home (or non profit organisation) user that is not profeting from using windows, it will be free, while if you use windows to derive an income then you will pay for the license. I beleave this to be fair. Coders spend a lot of time writing the code and also deserve some remunatration. ISo if you make money from an OS you should also be paying for the use of the software.If you look at some linux OS's now like RedHat this is what they are starting to do aswell.

Microsoft has done amazing. It's incredible how someone could have made an OS that has changed the world completely. I think Microsoft need to go open-source sooner or later to stop Linux's deveolpment. That is the key to Linux's appeal, and maybe Windows need to go free and open-source to stop it from being taken over.

If you look at some linux OS's now like RedHat this is what they are starting to do aswell.

the vast majority of linux distrp's are free, whatever you intend on using them for.

Microsoft has done amazing. It's incredible how someone could have made an OS that has changed the world completely.

In the old days, when computers werent intended to be used by anyone except scientists, then Microsoft bought an easy to use OS, renames and re-sold it.

I see Microsoft more as a marketing company, they did not write DOS, they paid someone else to make a vheap copy of the Unix shell, then renamed is MS-Dos.

but the Operating System that changed the world was not windows... it was Unix !
without Unix we would not have the internet !

And without BSD's source code, windows would not be able to access the internet.
Windows origonally took its Tcp/IP source code from BSD, but i think IPX is a microsoft invention... but IPX is lame !

That is the key to Linux's appeal, and maybe Windows need to go free and open-source to stop it from being taken over.

And Microsoft can never go Open source!MS have been Fudding (Fear, Uncertanty, and Doubt) Linux for years.
Saying that open source is a "cancer" and "un-american"

MS have very little credability left, if they open sourced windows, they would have lost what little remains.

Win XP is better... Thats probably why they have more users. People CHOOSE to spend money on buyin Win XP rather than to get a FREE linux. Jus shows that Win XP is much better

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WindowsXP is much worse...this is not an opinion, its a fact. its right there with facts and figures.

nobody chooses windowsXP, it comes pre-installed.

anyways, ill not bother post anymore since you post is pretty lame.

you just stated an uninfomed opinion, with no arguments to back it up.

nobody chooses windowsXP, it comes pre-installed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually a lot of prople do choose Win XP. Most of them haven't even heard of Linux let alone tried it, however some people who have thoroughly tested both systems still stick with Win XP. I can't give an opinion on which is better though because i've never even tried Linux. I hope to some time in the near future.

Actually a lot of prople do choose Win XP. Most of them haven't even heard of Linux let alone tried it, however some people who have thoroughly tested both systems still stick with Win XP. I can't give an opinion on which is better though because i've never even tried Linux. I hope to some time in the near future.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there are 2 types of people who try linux... Some Try it after using Windows for years, but find the interface too different, and dont believe the advantages are worth having to re-learn how do use a computer...

then there are people like me...

after years of using windows i give linux a try.. after using linux for a month, i realsie i dont have a virus scanner... do a little reasearch and discover that there are no virii capable of infecting linux...

then a month later, decide its about time i should de-fragment the hard disk, do a little googleing and discover than Linux doesnt have the same Flaw windows file systems have that fragment the disk in the first place.

and are so overwhelmed at how advanced linux is, how everything is free... whereas in windows, if its free, its loaded with spyware / adware.... and they never go back to windows :P

there are 2 types of people who try linux...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is again where you are wrong im afraid. There are also some people (not many I admit) that begin using computers with Linux because of a suggestion from friends and then 6 months later try Windows and use it. It all depends on what you use a computer for as to which system you use. I believe that Linux is considerably more secure than windows (free too :P ). However I have been told that the games and multimedia are best supported on windows. Don't know about multimedia but I would believe that the games would be better.

not too long ago, there were no commercial games for linux... (loooooads of free open source games)but now, there are quite a few... i have the following linux games...Unreal Tournament / Ut2003 / Ut2004Quake 1 / 2 / 3Kingpin: Life of CrimeHalf-Life (using Wine)Counter Strike (using wine)Opposing forces (using wine)Doom 3The SImsand for open source games... Tourcs is a great realistic racing game, and Flight Gear Flight Simulator is a great free replacement to Microsoft's FLight simulator.Linux games are commin to getcha !

Awesome I didn't know that The Sims was available for Linux. Is The Sims 2 available also? I'm a big fan of them, Counter Strike and of course the brilliance of Unreal Tournament 2004.

Microsoft has done amazing. It's incredible how someone could have made an OS that has changed the world completely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see Microsoft more as a marketing company, they did not write DOS, they paid someone else to make a vheap copy of the Unix shell, then renamed is MS-Dos.

but the Operating System that changed the world was not windows... it was Unix !

without Unix we would not have the internet !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree that Microsoft has done an amazing job. Not however by creating world changing software, but rather simply convincing most people that they did.