xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LuKrAsHa

Windows or Linux

I heard that windows puts all sorts o f spyware on your computer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Windows dosen't actually put the spyware on your computer it's just that when Microsoft made it (and the programs it comes with [iE in particular]) they cut corners on the programming quite badly, creating a massive security flaw that they call an OS. As if that wasn't enough, because so many people have been ripped off by Microsoft there are alot of virus's, spyware etc. which specifically target their software.

The clear answer is to get a mac. It can run xfree86 and linux software, run mac software(duh) and run windows software with virtualPC(from microsoft, so it works). Maximum software choice, plus a very nice and stable OS with a simple, elegant and easy to use interface.Then again I am an artist so whatever.

from microsoft, so it works

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The fact that Microsoft makes it is certainly no garantee that it works. In fact I would prefer another more reliable open source one. Either way I hate macs so it dosen't matter to me.

my point was that, as bad as windows is, Microsoft is the only person with access to the source. Open source attempts to run windows as an emulator have only been so-so in terms of success. I am sorry you hate macs, I wonder why. Pre OSX I would understand, because back then they were terrible. I hated them too, but they have improved a ton the last year or so.

Perhaps I should re-test them and pass judgment once again :P , admittedly it has been about eight months since I really used one. I will try to find someone with an up to date mac and ask if i can try it.

well thats cool. Personally, I think the only good deal on a mac is the ibook, which is what I bought. In terms of power/performance for price it was about equal to equally priced PCs, but it wouldn't give me any crap, and got tons of battery life. The powerbooks on the other hand are at least 400 dollars overpriced, IMHO. I use a PC for my desktop, for gaming and things that just need pure power thrown at them. For situations other than that, I use my mac.

I've now got Fedora Core 3 and M$ Win XP as dualboot.there are only 2 things that keep me away from entering the almighty FORMAT C:- Games still don't work nicely under Linux, and i happen to play a lot of them.- My mum's watching web TV from it, using some windows media player protocol.Off topic, you can't imagine how nice it is to run a virus under a windows simulator (WINE) under linux, see how it fails in loading :P:o:P

Some games are coming out for linux, but the words 'a lot' is rather strong. Most of the games that are 'released' for linux are actually just game servers because so many servers run linux. So, you can serve the game, but you can't play it. Its a lot easier to port serving code than it is to redo graphics entirely without directx. I so wish apple would open up OS X more than they have, and allow linux people to use their graphics. If that were ported to linux then suddenly linux and OSX could combine for getting games, and that would be fantastic.

Yeah, but SoF2 won't run properly without having Punkbuster anti cheat installed and the only way you can RUN sof is to delete punkbuster, so you can't play on 99% of all servers which have it enabled.