xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LuKrAsHa

Windows or Linux

As a server, Windows Server 2003 and the latest version of Linux are better in some aspects although in my own opinion, Linux works better, as a server that is. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, choose what would be good in the server that you will be running.

i recomond linux redhat 8.0 or higher or mandrake 8.1 or higher...

Question was about system for server. I think that Mandrake and Redhat aren't good systems for server. If you want secured and stable server choose FreeBSD, SuSe or Unix (it's not free, but Windows neither).

I'm not really good at using linux so I choose Windows XP. It is more user-friendly than Linux and I like the interface better. Also, installing and configuring programs are a lot easier than Linux. Linux is good if you will use your system as a server, otherwise, I recommend using Windows XP.  :) It is all about using the thing with ease.

Forgot to say that if you want a "virus free" system then Linux is for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Linux is now user friendly too. Install Mandrake and you will see. It has RPM's, easy installation and almost all applications you need in installation discs.

Some peple say that installing programs is hard but I'm asking why?

You just type ./configure

make

make install and in most cases it works.

It's easy, just try...

Linux is definatly more user friendly....get a pre-installed linux computer and you are sorted for life...get a pre-installed windows computer, and you have to learn how to re-install things when they stop working, update virus scanners, defrag the hard disk, and then after a year or so.. totally re-install the whole system.when you say you dont like linux's user interface... well.... which one ?GNOME, KDE, iceWM, fmv, looking glass... what ?

Unix isnt an operating system... more of a collection of operating systems...Solaris... (by SUN)*BSD's from calafornia UNIversity..IBM's unix..and loads more.. i forget all the names.FreeBSD is a pree UNIX, and the most secure, stable and widely used, and a great server.but if you want a server / desktop then linux is a good solution.

windows is NOT based on Unix.... windows couldnt have been less Unix like even if they tried.

Who knows?  :)  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol.. i do... and it isnt.

it should be !... but it isnt..

I have never tryed linux

i dont relly want 2 buy somthing that has the same kind of stuff that win xp has

i mean i no every tells me its better but am not relly up on paying 200 on somthing that may not even be as good as win

i would like to see a demo of some kind on it if any 1 has a site on that i will see it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol.. is this a joke or are you seriouse ???

Linux, is FREE... free in every sence of the word. Free as in money, Free as in Free Speach, Free as in Freedom to change, Freedom to see and modify the source code.

Linux is far more advanced than windowsXP. WIndows XP is still a of a monolithic design.

Linux (and all other operating systems) long ago left the monolithic world and entered the modular world.

Linux is Virus Free (unless your an idiot)

Linux is Stable.

Linux follows the standards.

All the Best Operating Systems are Free.....

NetBSD FreeBSD OpenBSD Linux, and most parts of Mac OSX !!!!!!!

Linux can do far more than windowsXP.

and as for a demo... See Knoppix

Knoppix is a live linux distro, you burn it onto a Cd, boot it, and you get a working Linux Operating System that runs entirely off the CD.

there is nothing you can do in windows XP that you cannot do in linux.

and there is loads you can do in linux that you cannot do in windowsXP.

thats why everyone is raving about Linux..

Its Free.... its stable, its Virus Free, and you NEVER have to defragment the hard dive because linux doesnt butcher your hard disk the way windows does.