xisto Community
dissipate

C first? or Java first?

Which do you think should be learnt first? C or Java?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me, neither of them was my first language. I started out learning Basic and then moved to C++. I just started learning Java this year because it is what the CS department at my university uses in its classes.I voted for Java because I feel that it is a little easier on beginners. All of the built-in classes that Java has makes it easier for a beginner to get a simple program up and running. I do think it is important, though, to eventually learn both of them.

I would recommend that the beginning programmer start with C. C is a relatively simple language at the beginning stages. However, despite its simplicity, it teaches the beginning programmer many ideas that can be used in further studies in different languages. While C itself might not serve the needs of a given programmer in his or her career, C is a good first-step on the path to learning programming in general.

For example, a beginning programmer will probably know little about variables and functions beyond what is taught in a typical mathematics course. C allows the programmer to understand the process of defining variables as a certain type, and it allows the programmer to see the idea of calling a function. Java certainly does make writing simple code just as easy, but the syntax is confusing at first. For example:

int main(void)    // Cpublic static void main(String[] args)    // Java

The knowledge of C need not be very deep. Some brief teaching on variables, functions, if-else statements, and loops is all that is needed. In fact, the C that needs to be taught can be just a few lessons long. However, a programmer who already understands these things will be less intimidated by longer method headers and such things in Java.

Of course, I'm a huge assembly fan, but that's not exactly what this poll is asking =P

I do not yet know C but I will be learning next year. From what I have looked at in C though, I don't think it really matters what order they are learned in, as long as both are learned. Java is very beginner friendly as long as it is TAUGHT to the beginner. It's really easy to teach someone java when you can say "just ignore the public, static, and (String[] args) in public static void main (String[] args), all that matters is main and void for now." Java has the benefit of teaching basic programming and OOP in one language. So I said Java should be learned first...I don't think the order is all that important though.

My opinion is its better to learn C first. C statements is the most commont type of statements. C is also a very powerful high level langauge and it can also be used to do some low level work like the one in assembly. I recommend that one should stick to C for it is a langauge supported by many. Used by many professionals in all kinds computing problems. It is very common too in game progamming.

Should be C++ or Java first.

C and Java have just a few simmilarities. While C++ (or any other Object Oriented language) is more similiar to Java.

Although C++ is OO lang, it still is mix of OO and non OO. While in my opinion Java is pretty tight Object oriented lang.

I'd vote for Java first

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want to learn some languege, then I can be only for java. Java is more claryfied than c++ and more oo of course.

Knowing java is better than c++ when it comes to salary in work:)

I agree with the notion of java first. Its alot easier to get a huge amount of the concept down without much effort, and this allows you to spend your time learning things like common algorithms and data structures and whatnot. With C some of the things actually would take a fair bit of effort to learn on TOP of the other things, so I say for a beginnier programmer java first is the way to go. Always good to be spoon fed for the first little while, no?

In our education system, you first learn the java and the c is second. I think this must be the menaingful one. Because the object oriented programming is perfect for a start to programming...

We had learned C first. Because C compiler is easily avialable and c is also easy to learn. Most of the features of c resembles with java so if u learn c first then it would be very easy to learn java

I am doing Master of Computer Application.Student of 2nd year.My opinion is: If anybody wishes to proceed stepwise,then he/she should learn C first. Then C++,then Java.It is very much easier to learn C++,if the person knows C,and it is not a tough job to learn Java,after learning C++.Coz,among C,C++,Java ----C language was discovered first.Object oriented approach came later,some extra more features were added with C like Inheritance,polymorphism etc.Java was discovered after C++.Java is a very secured,strong,good programming language but convenient to learn after learning C,C++ respectively.

Edited by cinthia (see edit history)

There isn't really any way to make an argumnent that is correct. It's all personal opinion. You can say c++ makes learning java easier, but learning java first makes learning c++ easier as well. c makes java easier but knowing any programming language, such as java, makes learning c easier. Every path you take through learning languages has its benefits and drawbacks but personally I would say as long as you learn with object oriented first it'll make things easier. Just a more logical way to think of things. But still, just my opinion.Honestly, I think personally I would have had a harder time to learn java after c, as opposed to c after java like I did. I'm sure pointers would have been annoying as hell to try and learn while still getting a grasp on basic data structures and programming conventions heh.

I've actually taken to learning C first (not C++ or Visual C++). I wanted to tackle this first, move onto Visual Basic (as per m^e's advice) and then finally move onto the other languages like Java. I'm finding the concepts of C and the way it all works quite simple and logical. I've not actually looked at Java in any detail, so I suppose it doesn't qualify me for saying anything. But the only thing we can truly say is go for the one that you want to do the most. I know there are the issues of concepts and such, but some people have already said that they would have preferred to have learnt C first then Java and vice-versa. So, in all I think it depends on the person and their way of thinking.