xisto Community
dissipate

C first? or Java first?

Which do you think should be learnt first? C or Java?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I believe you should learn C first because when you learn the fundamentals of C, learning Java will seem like a simplified version of C. And since C, is the primary language that evolved into many other similar language its best to learn C first. I learned C first, and even though my knowledge of C may not be that great, when I was taught about java, programming in another launage was a lot easier if I was to learn the other way around. Just that there are many conceptual advantages and disadvantages to the type of languages you learn.

Wow the votes are at 50-50!I learnt Java first, found it hard but you should always have someone to help you as you learn faster!I voted C as I tried it and found it much easier (and regretted learning Java first!)Compuccino

In my opinion, Java has far too much nitpicky details to begin with.

First, every time you want to make a new public class, you have to make a new file with it inside.

This forces you to import loads of files for small projects.

In the other hand, C allows you to declare all the data structures in the same file (not recommended :P) and you don't have to worry if they are or are not in the same file.

In C it's easier to make mistakes, but then again, you learn a LOT with them. It's a bit funny when your first programs start spitting out wierd characters or just seg fault because you moved too far into that array... :)

Has it was said before, after learning C, Java will look like a simplified version of it. Sort of. ;)

If you're just learning the basics, there's no point in going over interoperability, because the standard C libraries are avaliable for every system.

C is also great to learn how some higher level functions work. You can very easily manipulate strings, lists, arrays and trees in Java, but it's not nearly as fun! :P Why? Because you'll WANT to do them all by yourself some day, because that existing tree type doesn't do stuff the way you'd like it to. Up goes the home-made one! :P

Sure you can do all that in Java as well, but let's say Java doesn't encourage that much by having all those things ready to use. ;)

All in all, I (as you may have noticed because, oh I don't know, I didn't talk about anything else this whole post) voted for C. :P

i learned c then c++ yet java yo learnhow much time it takes to learn java?considering tht i have not completely mastereed c++ yet???

I say better to learn C first. Its not like its a requirement for Java. But its a valuable skill to possess. In my case I learnt C language first then shifted to C++ and right now Im using Java for everything like crazy. But Im glad i have a background in C and C++. Oh and by the way the basics of C, C++ and Java are only slightly similar by the time you get to the object oriented part they are worlds apart. Same logic but worlds apart.

I learned Java first and now I'm trying to learn C++I think this was a HUGE mistake. I got so used to all Java's built in functions, commands, and classes that when I try programming in C++ I get so frustrated because everything is not as straightforward as Java is.I would have definately learned C++ first. Even though its a harder language to start out with and learn, it is better for you in the long run.