xisto Community
dissipate

C first? or Java first?

Which do you think should be learnt first? C or Java?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Does it really matter which is learnt first, and is there really a need to learn both. I guess an advantage of knowing both is that JAVA gives you a good guide to using OO prgramming where as C doesn't do this and instead introduces you to different methods and logic patterns.As a programmer i feel that people tend to find a language that they feel comfortable with fairley quickly and raley leave that language when working on projects, someone who has learnt JAVA can do anything that someone working in C can do to a similar extent for most projects. this devalues the need to learn multipul languages very greatley as being very adept in one language is conciderabley better and more productive than being good in several that acomplish similar objectives.Learning a language to satisfy a need is a good thing to do, for instance driver programming would be very very difficult (if at all possible) in JAVA where as a C programmer will find it far easier therefore a JAVA programmer who has a good understanding of programming methods should not find it to chalenging to shift to C and covering the project in the other language. This is how i learnt, working with a new language as a need arose. Not just picking up the 'JAVA for dummies' book and reading it from cover to cover.

also we do not need to install new package such as jdk or j2sdk for getting it working,

even the default compiler for C & C++ comes built in your Linux Shell.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If someone is learning to program with *nix then i think they will probably be ok installing the required JAVA packages :)

Take C first if you have time to take both. It makes you appreciate the computer both in the software and hardware regard. If you have time for only one, I think you should take Java. its simpler, object oriented although slower.

The universities around Australia start with Java and then switch over to C++. Because of their similarities you do not have to relearn everything.I just finished learning Java and now I am trying to start C++ before Uni starts again.

I personaly started with C , cuz I was using a third party 3D engine ( game development ) built in C and requires C for scripting , I didn't goso deep in it , but it suited my needs as an Artist not a coder ..Then I had to dive in for some JAVA for some Web Development needs , but mainly it was applets or just simple effects ..The most prefered language for me is BASIC , I am using Blitz3D ( a highly popular 3D Game Engine , and it's using it's own version of basic which is very very simple to learn )for example :;Loading a car model and rotating it Car=Loadmesh("c:\car.x")CarTex=LoadTexture("c:\car.jpg")RotateEntity car,0,90,0-------------------and so on ...

If you know C or C++, you already know a lot of Java. The Java language is based mostly on C and C++. You'll see that a lot of the basic language elements, for example, the primitive types, operators, and statements of Java are taken directly from C.

In my opinion c ---> c++ ---> java is a good order. I found java the most fun language of the three. Easier to learn and absence of pointers, automatic garbage collection and cool object-oriented features were excellent features. However, the speed of c, c++ code is unmatched. What is usually do is to do the "core" number crunching in c/c++ and the eyecandy stuff in java. Get the best of both worlds.But some scripting languages are too cool to be ignored. OCaml and Ruby ... boy those are cool languages. I recomment them to anyone anytime to handle most jobs.++++++++++++++++++CobaltChloride

Java was taught first in school and I learnt C about three years later. I reckon it was quite tough switching from Java to C and it'd have been better if I learnt C first then Java. Was discussing this with a couple of my friends at that time and those that had learnt Java before C agreed. Would like to know your opinions about this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you are talking about switching to just vanilla "C" from Java then yeah - you got some biiiig problems lying ahead.. but if it is "C++" following the OOP model, then I think Java is far easier to get a grasp of the OOP concept, coz you CANNOT write your programs otherwise... Everything starts and ends with a "Class"... switching to OOP in C++ is a lot easier after that - just a little variation in syntax.

my openion is C++ Always....before any language as once you have made the concept of C++ than its never tough to learn java or anyother language.....the thing is that you must havve memory concepts of C++ and now u can go for any kind of laguage as well as programing type.....

C++ is the first to be read

if you want to be goood in programing then start with C++ and then JAVA, java will be very easy for you then, but if goood programing is not your objective then start JAva az it is easy in first sight,.my recomendation in both cases is C++

Personally, I learned C first, then C++, end then much more others. As the guy before, I haven´t go to a school or institute or nothing like that to learn, only tutorials in the web. It is not too good do it like me (I think) if you want to be a good programmer, but, is possible. My personal opinion is that C gives you the base to follow learning other languages.