xisto Community
dissipate

C first? or Java first?

Which do you think should be learnt first? C or Java?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thing that you should learn C first because it was really hard learning C after knowing Java. C is kinda like Java just with more advanced features. If you compare the codes to each other, you will see that they are similair to each other. (In stucture) Im still learning C but it seems like it would be easier learning it first. It can be confusing changing codes for the same concept.

I think C is first. Java is not easy because it has more functions. I can not remember all function of Java but C is easier.After i'v learned C, i think i must learn another language but i'v not finished C and Java is my target!!

I, personally, have learnt C first.To be honest, I have never learnt any programming language "properly" like in school or anything, only by online tutorials and other code.Here's my languages in the order I learnt them:C ---> C++ ---> PHP ---> JavaC++ is pratically the same as C, there's just the addition of more strict typing, a new comment type (which was added to C after C++ came (the // type)), OOP and built-in memory allocation functions (new and delete statements).

I'd say elementary C first then C++, then ADT-type C (for the sake of comparison with the benefits of having OOP paradigm) then Java. C is quite a primitive language that it helps concretize the rudimentary aspectsof coding. It makes nothing too easy so once you know the basics of C, you pretty much just need to learn the equivalents in the other languages. When C++ or Java follows C, it builds on what was once known as intractile and error-prone. This thus makes the programmer appreciate the fact that the newer language takes away some of the mindless stuff that the programmer had to keep in mind when coding in the more primitive C. Furtehrmore, it is easier, at least for me to learn an easier way to do something after knowing a harder way to do it than to learn the easier one first before the excessively less friendlier one.If you are however going to teach someone who does not have enough much time to learn the two/three languages, I'd say then just go with Java to spare them the agony of learning a programmer-unfriendly language and not knowing when to cut corners with more friendlier tools or worse, not knowing what these tools are.

I originally learned on C. However, I didn't master it enough to actually write usable code. Then I attempted to learn C++, which confused me beyond belief as my instructor didn't know the first thing about Objects and OOP. However, in college, we were forced to learn Java, and I'll say that it's a very nice approach to OOP if you have no idea what it is. Granted, Java itself isn't exactly the best language to use (for many different reasons), it is a perfect springboard to other languages. That's why CalPoly taught Java, as they knew that we could eventually practically teach ourselves new languages with the basis of Java.So, learn Java first. The entire Computer Science department at CalPoly does it, so why not?

If you have experience of one language, you are easily in learning others. Don't waste your time in arguing which language is the best, the most of all is what can you do with the language you have learned. The language that meets your need is a good language. C is so classic that it can be used to do many things. Unix, Linux and other OSs are developed by C. To learn C is never a mistake.

My first programming language is not C. But I think C will better as your foundation in programming. Because java is harder to understand. If you have learned and understand C language then it will be easier for you to switch to other programming languages.

If the goal is to learn good object oriented programming java by far is the best to learn first. The sytanx isn't that far from c++ to make the transistion difficult. If you are taking c then there is no comparison because c is not object oriented. That is my opinion on the matter.

i think people should learn java first. It's simpler...and well...easier to understand. Java is pretty straightforward. C++ is abit more complex in my opinion...but then again i learned java first myself ^_^

Well, seems like everyone has their own viewpoint, I'd agree with some but mainly I'd say theres really no who comes first.Personally I think a good programmer would go for both java n C neways juz to get a feel of what/how each works. Of course, eventually one will have to major in one language I suppose...and to be good in both probly aint gonna be easy.C and JAVA in tandem baby.

Actually learning java first shall be tiresome as it has lot of concepts and so, but when U go for C u shall better go for easy statments like scanf and printfthan using System.Out.PrintLn("this is output Instance ");System.In.Readln("this is output Instance and ");so learning c at First is the best

also we can use c as it compiles faster that java, also we do not need to install new package such as jdk or j2sdk for getting it working,even the default compiler for C & C++ comes built in your Linux Shell.