xisto Community
kc8yff

Best FTP Client

OUr choices on Mac are somewhat less. I generally use Cyberduck which is FOSS, but I have a lot of problems with it dropping the connection mid stream if I'm uploading say a directory. So I went back and paid for the latest version of FETCH FTP. It's a great program for the Mac. Back in my PC days I used WS_FTP_LE/95 which was simple, clean, and effective. Still one of the better FTP clients on the market.

FileZilla for me. It's pretty well known, and it does everything I need it to do. Combine that with the fact that MediaWiki has installation instructions that suggest using FileZilla and I'm happy that it's a reliable bit of software. :blink:

It's free, open source and I've yet to find any problems with it. Saying that, I haven't actually tried any other FTP clients, so I've little to compare it to. Anyone know if there's any other free FTPs out there that are better than FileZilla?

I use WS_FTP Home and its a very good ftp but some files is not allowed after you install it so you need to change on some things in options, when you start it you get a 3 creens there you can see ftp, hard drive and transfer manger, itsnot free but you can get a 30 days trail on it on Ipswitch.
Is CuteFTP free? on CuteFTP site it cost some cash but many say its free, is it? If its free i going to use it but if it cost i use WS_FTP Home. Smart FTP is not free and i dont like the style on it. FTP Surfer is not the best but its free:D

The Best Client I Used Is FileZilla Because It Has Support For Many Things! Such As CHMOD, Inject RAW Codes. etc.It's Also Free! Unlike SmartFTP, They Give You A Free Trail, It Annoys Me After 6 Days! So Then I Found A Web Client net2ftp, didn't like it so I did another Google Search And Found Lots Of Great Comments On FileZilla!If You Want To Download FileZilla Google It! :blink:

Edited by Steven9088 (see edit history)

I am using file-zilla from six-seven months.It is one of the best FTP client softwares which i had used. It is very simple to use.The best thing about FileZilla is that it is a free software.It is not a propreitary software, its an open source FTP client for Windows. It supports FTP, SFTP, and FTPS (FTP over SSL/TLS).

Some of the main features of filezilla-client are the site manager, message log, file and folder view, and the transfer queue.The site manager of filezilla-client allows a user to create a list of FTP sites along with their connection data, such as the port number to use, the protocol to use, and whether to use anonymous or normal logon. For normal logon, the username is saved and optionally the password.

When we try to connect to a ftp site or link the message log is displayed along the top of the window. It displays the console-type output showing the commands sent by FileZilla and the remote server's responses.

Filezilla-clients file and folder view, displayed under the message log, provides a graphical interface for FTP. Due to this graphical user interface Users can navigate folders and view and alter their contents on both the local and remote machines using an Explorer-style tree interface. Which helps the users to drag and drop files between the local and remote computers.

The transfer queue in filezilla-client displayed along the bottom of the window, shows the real-time status of each queued or active file transfer.

There is a FileZilla Server FTP server also with the help of which we can convert our personal computer into an FTP server also.

Homepage for the filezilla client and Server is Filezilla Homepage

Recently found a new File Manager with FTP in it. Servant Salamder offers quite a good set of functionality. Its a file manager in main, so of course you are able to copy, move, organize ... etc with this software. But the good things about this is it can be use to upload your files to any FTP server. That's a plus point since normally after dealing all the files in the file manager, you will tend to use a FTP client to upload those files. I personally feel that its really convenience to be able to organize and upload the files at the same time.

Go google it and there are quite a few good reviews on it. Cheers

Recently found a new File Manager with FTP in it. Servant Salamder offers quite a good set of functionality. Its a file manager in main, so of course you are able to copy, move, organize ... etc with this software. But the good things about this is it can be use to upload your files to any FTP server. That's a plus point since normally after dealing all the files in the file manager, you will tend to use a FTP client to upload those files. I personally feel that its really convenience to be able to organize and upload the files at the same time.

Go google it and there are quite a few good reviews on it. Cheers

I am not exactly sure I get how this is different from something else such as Filezilla?

I have to say I use two popular FTP programs. smartFTP and Filezilla. Filezilla is nice, lightweight, easy to use and has a great GUI. But I often experience time-outs with uploads that has a folder with lots of files in it. Even if they're small or large. I used to think it was due to my FTP account not liking being spammed with small uploads. I then got my hands on filezilla and use it for such tasks. I usually run both programs. SmartFTP to chmod and change around/edit files, and filezilla to upload hardcore. Another feature of filezilla that I really like is that I can run multiple instances and upload two things at the same time. Almost never times out on me, and even IF it does, it usually instantly reconnects and picks up from where it left off.

Few months ago I started using Filezille and I gotta say I love it. In addition to all it's greatness it is open source. ;)

I was using filezilla for long times, recently switched to cuteftp.
Filezilla is good and free, but cute ftp has one adventages which filezilla can not offer; if you have miltiple sites and you work at the same times with many sites you can do it with cuteftp, and can switch to diffirent sites very easily, but filezilla can work for one site only in one time.