xisto Community
ramankumar

Xp And 7

I currently use XP. I was going to get a different computer here awhile back, and was actually looking forward to Windows 7, but when I got it on the new computer I was very annoyed when none of my older programs worked. I hate it when you have to spend a ton of money getting programs to work, not to mention learning how to use them and then all of a sudden you have to go spend more money for more programs and then learn all over again.

Sheepdog, that should not be the case.

From what you write I assume you have been using Windows XP for quite some time, and have been running the same programs for a while too.

It depends on what kind of programs you use, but some companies keep updating their programs and provide the updates to their users free of charge, while some charge users for major upgrades.

You then also have the companies that go out of business, or stop producing certain programs, so, as a result, they offer no further updates.

However, even in the last case, all is not lost.

Windows has got a trick called "Compatibility Mode" up its sleeve.

When a program does not work with your current version of Windows, and you are, for whatever reason, unable (or unwilling) to get any updates, try the following:

Right click on the program icon

Select "Properties"

In the window that opens, select "Compatibility"

Read the instructions by clicking "Help me choose the seettings" or

Tick the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

After ticking that box, you will have access to a drop-down menu listing the various OSes.

Select the OS you used before upgrading to Windows 7 and try to run the program you just adjusted.

If that does not work, go down the list one OS until the program runs.

Do the same for all programs which are not running under Windows 7.

It might be a bit time consuming (especially if you have a lot of programs that do not work) but the method does work.

Good luck.

i had XP on my pc That time I did folder encryption wich is on D driveand upgraded OS to Win7 & forgot about this encrypted folderNow am unable to decrypt/read any of the files in that folder it has critical info. so somehow want to fix it is there anyway to break the encryption key?

I am using Windows XP and it can be installed quite easy, in my opinion Windows 7 installation is even more easy, you usually don't even need to worry about drivers as it has a lot of drivers to offer and usually it offers the right driver for you and with your permission it can update them.But it depends on the computer, XP windows can also offer a lot of drivers and can also update them through windows update, but usually it can be dangerous and it can ruin your windows environment :)I use XP at work and 7 at home :)

yes i agree too, installation of windows 7 is a lot easier than windows xp, on newer computers it is hard to install XP because you sometimes face the bootable disk doesn't recognizing the sata drive and so you can not find any drive to install windows on it. currently with windows 8 on its way then we all have to migrate to win 7 at least because win xp will sooner or later stop getting support and updates and this means everyone that continue using win xp will be in danger of getting hacked because no update and security fix will be available for it. but win 7 is not that bad, it is true that it has problem with some win xp apps but it has many plus sides, better looking and aero are two things that i like them in 7, visualizing problems and trying to solve some problems on itself and many other things.

@ ram245545 : windows xp has mouse usage ability in its installation too, it only hadn't it in its first stage but in next stage like when you can set date and time you can use mouse. win 7 installation has more comfortable partition choosing procedure and smaller fonts (higher resolutions of installation screen) during installation. it even takes less time to install win 7 rather than windows xp, on my laptop it takes around 40 minutes to install windows xp but for win 7 it takes 20 minutes for a full installation now if you count the minutes you have to spent on installing every driver in win xp which win 7 have them by default like graphic driver, sound card and many other drivers then you will find out that installation of win xp can take more than 2 hours and this is when minimality of time in installation becomes a plus side for windows 7.

now after more than 1 and a half years past from when i bought the first win 7 installation media, i should say that i found this windows to be a lot more stable than windows xp, much less hangs and better responsivity when a program hangs. i can say that i only restarted my laptop two times in this 1.5 years. i have both xp and seven in my desktop and i haven't count of my restarts in win xp of it but i know that i have restarted it more than 100 times in past two years when i was in windows xp of it. so i want to say that windows 7 now is a complete successor of windows xp and everyone can easily go for it and i think it worth the price you have to pay for getting it.

and if you are a gamer then you have no other choice than win 7 with its dx11, i think microsoft has done this one purpose because i think they can release dx11 for xp but they don't do it because they know that by keeping dx11 specific for win7 they can sell lots of their win 7 medias because when first win 7 came, gamers were not satisfied with the performance of it for games, you need twice more ram in win 7 for running a game compared to win xp and so microsoft went for dx11 and this was the plan for bringing gamers to win7 , so win7 doesn't give the performance of win xp for games but if you want to get dx11 features then you need win 7 too.

soon i think we should see topics with the title of win 7 or win 8 and i think it is now the time to say goodbye to windows xp and the great days we had with it and say hello to windows 8 which needs a lot of time to get into our computers.

soon i think we should see topics with the title of win 7 or win 8 and i think it is now the time to say goodbye to windows xp and the great days we had with it and say hello to windows 8 which needs a lot of time to get into our computers.

**Sobs** I never want to say goodbye to XP, after having had almost all versions of Windows.. I work between one Windows 7 machine and a XP professional machine.. Quite honestly, I don't see any difficulty during the installation of either versions. XP is pretty straightforward while Windows 7 does come with the advantage of not losing your data even if you format the hard disk. A few "problems" I find in Windows 7 is that it is sometimes a bit too flashy in the navigation so quite often getting from point A to point B is pretty confusing.. Though the search feature K.O's every O.S there is :lol:

I have always found XP to be much more sturdy and oriented towards the serious working bee with the no nonsense interface but Windows 7 isn't half bad either.. Reminiscing about the features, I would say the feature most missed by all us old school tech junkies is the "repair" option in the network section... I mean the old days when I spent many of my valuable minutes clicking "repair" to get my connection working :P

But yes, I too wonder how Windows 8 will settle into our lives now that Windows has gotten its niche again with Windows 7, remember the fiasco known as "vista"? :blush:

I have been running Windows XP, but have been using other operating systems including Windows XP, and Ubuntu Linux 10.x and recently Ubuntu Linux 11.x. My primary operating system is still Windows XP and I decided not to upgrade because Windows 7 is more demanding on the hardware. I can afford more memory, a better processor, and even the integrated graphics processor from the Santa Bridge platform of the second generation of Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processors, but with the frequent disk access, it can still get quite slow because getting a 7,500rpm hard disk drive would mean that the battery life would be lower and the computer would have more heat and more likely to shut down in the summers (we have temperatures of about 40C here and my laptop occasionally shuts down for overheating). A solid state disk is not really something that I would want to pay for till their prices go lower or till I get a higher income to pay for it.I do intend to upgrade to Windows 8 because I see Windows 7 as a patched version of Windows Vista so I expect many of the problems of Windows Vista to re-surface in Windows 7 as well. Skipping a version after Windows Vista seems like a rather good choice from my perspective. I would consider moving to Ubuntu Linux or even Linux Mint but the problem I have is with opening MS Office documents, particular Powerpoint slides and MS Word documents. Sure, there is OpenOffice and there is LibreOffice too, but both are not quite accurate in the positioning of elements in the documents and in displaying the text formatting in the exact same way as it does in MS Office - the deliverables I have to hand over for class do have to match a publication standard for formatting of the document and there are significant points to be lost of the document formatting does not meet the requirements of the publication standard.

I agree that installation of Windows 7 is much,much easier and faster then Windows xp,You need like a hour for a full install (windows,drivers,software) of Windows 7 and about 2,3 hours for a windows xp,this could be different on beter pc-s.I also fell that Windows 7 is faster and it's easyer to fix errors.But i still stick to windows xp pro. sp2. because my pc i an 8 years old recycle bin. :)

I have already work on both on them Operating systems.XP is much easier to work on as compare to Window 7, Window 7 has better user graphical interface but that is complicated to work on and new user can not easily work on Window 7.Where as XP has Better Computer support as it takes less space on HDD. XP is much user friendly as new users can easily start working on that.

Edited by moderator (see edit history)

I have already work on both on them Operating systems.XP is much easier to work on as compare to Window 7, Window 7 has better user graphical interface but that is complicated to work on and new user can not easily work on Window 7.
Where as XP has Better Computer support as it takes less space on HDD. XP is much user friendly as new users can easily start working on that.

I agree, as for some time I am using Control panel of Windows 7 and XP, and it seems that they're quite similar, but on Windows 7 some things seems to be much easier, but the control panel is quite complex, you can get lost there, in XP it's much more in place. So to conclude, XP control panel navigation is a bit simpler, I think that on Windows 7 the control panel could also be a little more user friendly, as from one place you can go to another from which you can go to the same place, but sometimes when you want to go to a specific option, you need to navigate to find it, even though the better solution is not to navigate at all, but use the Windows 7 feature to use the search box, you'll find everything you need fast in the control panel with the search item, but you need to know what you're searching for :)