xisto Community
karlo

A Good Offline Antivirus recommend me some...

What kind of antivirus is available where i can update it's virus definitions manually? because i'm planning to put an antivirus in an computer that dosen't have any internet access.

What kind of antivirus is available where i can update it's virus definitions manually? because i'm planning to put an antivirus in an computer that dosen't have any internet access.

53476[/snapback]

Everyone has a different opinion about their AV of choice. I've tried hundreds of them including a very good freeware named AVG Antivirus. Google for it and you'll find the download link. It's quite decent and catches most of the stuff - but just not good enough for me. After trying almost all of them out there in the market - I've decided to settle down for BitDefender Pro 8 Plus - a damned good one. The suite includes a pretty good firewall & antispam module too. Plus their auto update feature is really nifty - resumes broken updates without a hitch - which was a big problem with NortonAV. They even have a freeware virus eliminator for Linux called LinuxDefender. The paid version for Windows isn't expensive either - $29. Antivirus is something that I don't feel like compromising with and so I went ahead and got myself the paid copy of this - and I haven't been disappointed in any way. I'm online almost 24/7 and get flooded with viruses & worms - and this one has caught every single one of them. I haven't been infected in any way over past 5 months.. I highly recommend this one.. Get the trial version and give it a try: http://www.bitdefender.de/

If you want a nice comparative review of the features available in all the leading anti-virus software, check out this site: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - Go through this and am sure it'll help you make your mind up which one to go for...

All the best ;)

Everyone has a different opinion about their AV of choice. I've tried hundreds of them including a very good freeware named AVG Antivirus. Google for it and you'll find the download link. It's quite decent and catches most of the stuff - but just not good enough for me. After trying almost all of them out there in the market - I've decided to settle down for BitDefender Pro 8 Plus - a damned good one. The suite includes a pretty good firewall & antispam module too. Plus their auto update feature is really nifty - resumes broken updates without a hitch - which was a big problem with NortonAV. They even have a freeware virus eliminator for Linux called LinuxDefender. The paid version for Windows isn't expensive either - $29. Antivirus is something that I don't feel like compromising with and so I went ahead and got myself the paid copy of this - and I haven't been disappointed in any way. I'm online almost 24/7 and get flooded with viruses & worms - and this one has caught every single one of them. I haven't been infected in any way over past 5 months.. I highly recommend this one.. Get the trial version and give it a try: http://www.bitdefender.de/

If you want a nice comparative review of the features available in all the leading anti-virus software, check out this site: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - Go through this and am sure it'll help you make your mind up which one to go for...

All the best :P

53499[/snapback]

Thank you very much... please PM me, how can I download the full version fo bitdefender for free? ;) i have no money!

For me i would say Norton Antivirus though it is system resource voracious and the second option i would say is the panda antivirus. And If i was to say about the free and the one which uses less system resources i would say AVG. It rocks in free cata.

For me i would say Norton Antivirus though it is system resource voracious and the second option i would say is the panda antivirus. And If i was to say about the free and the one which uses less system resources i would say AVG. It rocks in free cata.

53584[/snapback]

Norton Antivirus is being overprotective. And it really consumes big system resources. AVG, it dosen't detect all viruses. Check out Virus Bulletin.

This may help...A Good Offline Antivirus

Since you are planning to check your computer which is offline... It would be a bit foolish to have a permanent virus scanner running.. It will just waste considerable systems resources almost all the time.. You can't get a virus if you're not connected to a source!!Obviously, you will still need to check the machine from time to time, after use of media containing files from untrusted sources.  Consider something like Dr. Web liveCD (it's a bootable virus scanner)... You can make a copy of it, changing the URL its' update script uses to point to  a drive on the machine (say, USB...) where you have pre-downloaded the files it looks for...Then if you feel like you need to check the machine for the latest infestations, just download the latest definitions and provide them to the LiveCD, since you shouldn't need to do this very often at all (being offline) you would end up working more efficiently (you can have is scan and then shutdown overnight) since your computer won't be unnecesarily sluggish.

try aviria or avast and these two are the best offline antivirus but again not that effective you should keep symentec and get its offline update.as i think it would be the possible way to solve your virus problem without any internet.

You can get AVG, Not the best out there but good enough. It's updatable really easily through a USB and you can download the files on the site. You can shedule scans and cleans too. If the computer is going to be offline all the time don't buy an antivirus, get AVG Free, it doensn't come with a firewall, and since you won't use the internet you won't need the extra protection. Not best heuristics.Avira has update files too. It has good detection but horrible UI. Good Heuristics.MSE SUCKS and probably and also has defenition files.Slowish. Good Heuristics.Avast might have this too but I'm not sure. ESET DOESN'T. Good Heuristics. Only updatable online.You will probably find many that do have definition update files but It's no worth spending to much time on an offline computer, just make a backup of your important files, maybe your OS, get any AVG Free (Or Avira) and forget about the license expiration, hacks, trial period reseters, and all that crap. After all your not going to update it EVERYDAY, just like once a month or stuff like that. In any case, MSE and AVIRA have REALLY GOOD Scores on Heuristics, better than AVG. Tell me what you chose.

Try clamwin (free open source) or if you got some money, get Kaspersky or ESET. Check their website first which one will allow you to have an offline update. Kaspersky Internet Suite gives you the option to dump update files into a folder, copy that folder and use it as an update source for the computer that don't have an internet. I have no idea on the other versions. AVG is no longer a good antivirus. Avira is loosing its battle but it still depends on what sites you visit or what devices you attached to your computer. Remember that all items inserted via USB are being seeked with the file autorun.ini which in turn runs all programs listed in it including viruses. In fact autorun is being exploited a lot by viruses. Between AVG and Avira, pick Avira. Between symantec and Avira, pick Avira. This is base on experience on viral strands and actual exploits.There are still hundreds of antivirus that is free and have manual updates but half of them are fake, try to consult security websites specially those that focus on antivirus.

clamwin and komodo can be a good choice for offline antivirus. If you do a lot of USB data transfer on your system then you can get malware or other security specific software if they offer downloadable updates.You can take updates from cafe to clamwin and komodo. Same applies to malware softwares like spybot search & destroy. Adaware seems to be in issue with money and free version so not sure if they have free updates. Have to check that.

most of the antiviruses that are not free need internet connection for license approval so if you computer can not connect to internet at all so you should try free ware antiviruses. in freewares as the other said clamwin is very nice and you can find update files to download and transfer very easily. here you can see a list of antiviruses available but for freewares you haven't much choices : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antivirus_software