xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
AzureMusique

The Page Stops Loading, And You Lose Your Post

As the title describes, it is that one thing that annoys me the most. You spend so much time typing up your post, you click send, and the page stops loading. You refresh the page many times because it keeps failing to load. Finally, the page loads, but instead of viewing the post you just made, you are redirected to the parent page. You wanted to make some edits to your post because you just realized you had stuff to add, however, you cannot find your post or thread. After searching for a couple of minutes, you realize, what the freak, you had just lost your post and it didn't go through! You knew you should have just copied the whole post, but you forgot or because the internet or the forum had been working so well that you felt secured. Too secured. Or you were used to having that auto-save feature that you have in your email account.Or worse. You had decided to grab a quick bite to eat or drink. When you came back, your pet, a cat, had decided sleeping on your keyboard was a good place to take a nap. Or you had a family member that made no notions of creating a new tab or page and decided to surf the net. You were in the middle of typing a very good argument and in both cases, they are lost! You navigate back a page and in the typing box, everything is blank, all blank! Your reaction? Of course you get mad.

As the title describes, it is that one thing that annoys me the most. You spend so much time typing up your post, you click send, and the page stops loading. You refresh the page many times because it keeps failing to load. Finally, the page loads, but instead of viewing the post you just made, you are redirected to the parent page. You wanted to make some edits to your post because you just realized you had stuff to add, however, you cannot find your post or thread. After searching for a couple of minutes, you realize, what the freak, you had just lost your post and it didn't go through! You knew you should have just copied the whole post, but you forgot or because the internet or the forum had been working so well that you felt secured. Too secured. Or you were used to having that auto-save feature that you have in your email account.
Or worse. You had decided to grab a quick bite to eat or drink. When you came back, your pet, a cat, had decided sleeping on your keyboard was a good place to take a nap. Or you had a family member that made no notions of creating a new tab or page and decided to surf the net. You were in the middle of typing a very good argument and in both cases, they are lost! You navigate back a page and in the typing box, everything is blank, all blank! Your reaction? Of course you get mad.

If you use Firefox, you will like this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/

I hardly use Firefox these days. I use Chrome now, for my PC. If I was on the family Mac, it woul be either Firefox or Safari. I think I use Firefox less these days is because it either crashes or loads really slow. But now that I have been on Chrome for a while now, it is a bit better, but there really isn't much difference.

I forgot to add one thing. Has anything, anything similar to this happened to you?

On this forum plenty of time. Other than this it happens with most of the online forums. I guess this happens because session that our connection maintains. Those who are still using low speed connection or dialup knows how many times they see this. I usually use notepad++ or similar before i post longer replies. For typical 2-3 lines we can easily repeat our posts. It is annoying a lot especially if you're into blogging.Not sure which plugin to use in such case for chrome. I'll see if i can get any to save content of form so that crash doesn't affect.

yea, this has happened on the forum before where i would write out a big long post only to find out that it wont post my post. i wouldn't say it happens a lot, but 2-3 occassions, it was common for everyone to experience this problem. nothing is full proof so you just have to go with the flow and not get too upset over the things you can't control.the best way i have found to avoid this problem is to copy your post to the clipboard before you post it. this saved a couple of my posts when this bug was a common occurance 2-3 times in the past. normally though, especially right now, you shouldn't be running in to that problem here. at least i have seen no signs of a post not posting.happy posting! :)

Yeah it used to happen to me all the time. I copy and paste out of paranoia/habit now. What I really hate is when you write a huge post, copy to clipboard, send the post, and it it fails. You accept that inconvenience, seeing as how in your infinite wisdom you saved it to your clipboard. No big deal. Then when you paste it in, it's the wrong clip - normally replaced by something tiny like a URL or something. Ugh!

There are several solutions to solve this problem.1. Accept it, because this happens probably to everybody.2. Type the post again.3. Type the post in OpenOffice or Word, save the file in a map, copy the post and paste it in the post window of the forum.4. Copy the post by selecting the text with the mouse and press Control C before sending it to the forum website.5. Save the post every two lines by pressing Add Reply every 10 seconds.

Edited by Eza (see edit history)

There's nothing more than an irritating...loss. If it was maybe like, two to three lines, I won't mind writing it again, whether I had forgotten to copy it or something somehow replaced that copied text. Half a page or more? Probably not, unless I could remember it all. Instead, I'll just keep fuming until I forget about it a couple of hours later.Saving every few lines can backfire, though. If you're at a high-impacted forum, someone could respond or quote your post before you can actually finish. Besides, it's just amazing how some people just simply don't read simple directions. It maybe not happen here, but I've had that kind of experience before.

Edited by AzureMusique (see edit history)

As i said in earlier thread i was in search for chrome extension of lazarus. Lazarus is the software that saves form data on various softwares and browsers in event of crashes. I wasn't sure of any extension for chrome but i finally found it after little bit of googling.

I hope this helps to solve your text when chrome or firefox crashes. It worked for me so i guess it'll work for you as well.

I used to have this problem too, browser textarea field used to be very bad on all the browsers, now on most it's much more better and offers much more features, you can stretch it, use undo or redo, use check spelling and select different dictionaries by default, at least on Opera. Years before I used to use OpenOffice to write my posts :D it had check spelling and you could undo or redo and you knew that you could loose your post when pushing submit and going back used to make your text disappear..When I push submit and it doesn't seem to work, it lets say gives a 404 or 503 error or something like that, I just push back button and can see the post I wrote, I avoid using refresh/reload just because I used to loose my posts like that, when it doesn't seem to post, I push back button, Opera doesn't seem to refresh the page and I can see my text in the textarea field and copy the text into the clipboard and try again, if it still doesn't work, I just paste the clipboard to a text file on the desktop or in the Swap, doesn't matter and for some time I don't use Open Office for such things. :)I think Opera by default could integrate some tool which could show history or something you wrote in the textarea field, that would be convenient for most people and would require any addons as other browsers like to use, of course the setting could be disabled or enabled, due to privacy settings, or it could be removed every time the browsers quits, a lot of options. :)My method wouldn't work on the forum, when pushing the submit button it sends the POST data and refreshes my page? But usually it doesn't refresh the page, but tries to submit the POST data and direct you to your written post, in this case you can push the back button without problems. :P

Hi!I have lost my posts tons of times. Sure, it frustrates me enough to want to go blow up some cars in Twisted Metal 2, or hunt down some terrorists in Counter Strike, but then I'm back and there I am writing another post.Most of the time, when I spend too long writing a post, the session times out and I lose the entire post, but it happens less often on Xisto because when the session does time it, it often displays a page that says you can copy-paste your post and try again. That is a lot better than having your entire post disappear into thin air without even a warning. If anyone has used Xisto, you probably know what I mean.BTW, another common problem that I experience on most online forums is that despite checking the "Remember me" checkbox, the forum asks one for his or her username and password each time he or she closes the browser and visits the forum again... or sometimes, all it takes is a bit of a wait and then forum displays the prompt for the username and password. Any Xisto users out here who have had that happen to them?@AzureMusique: I use Mozilla Firefox and it hasn't crashed or hung on me since over a year. Perhaps you happened to try the earlier releases in the 3.x series. They were terrible and were quite unlike the 2.x series and when Google Chrome came along, people switched to it in the blink of an eye! Firefox is so much better now and I like the large selection of Add-Ons that Firefox has to offer. Download Helper is one of the best of the Add-Ons if you are on a slow connection because you would then be able to download the videos and watch then instead of having the video play for a second, pause for a second, play for a second, pause for a second, play for a second, and... all along while displaying that annoying buffering message. I have the quickest mobile broadband connection in the city and it never reaches the advertised bandwidths, so it's pretty much all the bandwidth I've got till another telecommunications provider comes along and decides to make its mark as the best Internet Service Provider.Anyway, take a chill pill and get started with typing your post all over again.... or join me in a game of Twisted Metal 2 :-)