xisto Community
inea

Giving Out Personal Information To do or not to do, that is the question.

Personal information on knowledgesutra  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the introduction section people can introduce themselves.

This can be very nice.

When somebody reveals too much information this can lead to annoying situations.

It still happens that people visit the location of other internet surfers.

It happens too that people try to ruin other peoples life.

And it happens that people use all sort of means to try to control what another person does.

And personal information can help a person with bad intentions to get grip on the life of somebody else.

When names of other personal websites and social network pages are given out it is possible for other people to combine the information in the different profiles.

This can make it possible for other people to find a lot of information about somebody else on the internet.

It seems that a lot of people don't realize that other people can read profiles.

The combination of information in different profiles on different websites and on several network pages can lead to a lot of detailed information.

This means that a person is not as anonymous as the person might think and wish.

The question might be raised wether or not this is a problem.

However, this is not the first question to address.

Another question is if the person who posts on a forum like Xisto is aware of the risks and the possibilities other people use to find personal information.

If somebody is more or less completely aware of the possibilities the internet offers and of the risks that are involved by being a surfer on the internet the risks might be under control.

Supposing somebody is not aware of the risks the internet exposes and the risks of posting on a forum like Xisto it seems an act of social behaviour to warn this person.

This can be seen like frightening people without reason.

It can as well be regarded as the task of somebody with experience and knowledge of internet activities to warn other people.

So like everything else in life it is probably a thing about callibrating the arguments pro and contra a certain action to see if it is needed to warn somebody else.

On the other hand some people only realize the problems the internet can cause in the life of somebody when it is too late.

This means that already something happened that the person doesn't like.

So even when a warning seems overdone and without reason it can still be necessary and helpfull to tell other surfers and other members of a forum like Xisto about the risks that are involved with posting.

This is a personal opinion.

Edited by inea (see edit history)

If people post their details then they will soon learn when someone stalks them. I have *very* little sympathy or compassion for fools or idiots so what happens happens IMHO!

Edited by shadowx (see edit history)

Meh, I don't think anybody gives out "that much" information in the Introduction section... the most is the Age and the region/city where they live. I don't think you can stalk anybody from there... and I know this because I'm 100% stalk-free (well, nobody will wanna stalk me anyway :D ). Besides, thats why Mods are there, they can edit it if you give out too much info. I seriously don't know how "risk" comes in here...? I can see NO ONE having their address/phone here or any exact place where they live. I'm pretty sure its in the TOS too (idk I never read it but I'm "pretty sure"... prove me wrong :P ).

If people post their details then they will soon learn when someone stalks them. I have *very* little sympathy or compassion for fools or idiots so what happens happens IMHO!

Touche.

With all the information available on the internet, I think it's impossible to avoid being "stalked", unless you give false information everywhere. All you need is someone's full name, and relative location. I don't see the point of being too private because if someone want's to stalk you, they'll find you with little information.

With all the information available on the internet, I think it's impossible to avoid being "stalked", unless you give false information everywhere. All you need is someone's full name, and relative location. I don't see the point of being too private because if someone want's to stalk you, they'll find you with little information.

I think it's mainly a question of the degree of information you reveal on the Internet, and exactly what that information is. For example, I have no problem with people knowing my real name (it's my username!) and rough location. But I'm not about to post my full address and phone number online. I take the assumption that anything posted online, no matter how many passwords it is behind, can be treated as public information. This is why I have no sympathy for the sort of people who post drunken photos of themselves on social networking sites which come back to haunt them.

It is irritating that you try to preach me this in my introduction topic.

Warning.

The bad thing of telling people about other websites is that it can lead to more information about the poster.

And this is not always the best idea.

It can be a bad thing to tell people the name of other websites because some people are that smart with the internet, reading profiles, combining information and using Google, that more information is revealed than the person who posts realizes.

Disclaimer:

There is no wish to be a wannabee moderator of this forum.

There is a wish to warn people not to give out personal information.

Personal information can allow stalkers to find the location where somebody lives.

More information

More ideas about giving out personal information on Xisto are described in another topic.

Now, this is just irritating. The information I gave were harmless and was only given in order to find other people with the same interest, so buzz off, please? There is no harm in telling others your favorite actor is there? And these information are posted in my deviantart account too. What the heck is your problem? I've shared this with others before, and being an Admin in another forum, people in that forum know this and it hasn't done any harm to me or anybody else whatsoever. So stop preaching. =/

Like rvalkass said, I'm not some kind of idiot to post my phone number or home address. The information I had shared in my introduction topic (and a lot of other places) are trivial.

The issue with this statement is that the Internet is not near as "anonymous" as people like to try and make it out to be. I have no issues with sharing personal information on sites because it's just too easy to get anyways -- there's no reason to hide what people can find with about 10 minutes worth of work.

Something related to this is that it seems that some people don't realize how much information about themselves is available on the internet. And clicking on some links on people's facebook, profiles and other social network websites can reveal names and names of schools. And it seems a lot of people don't realize that.In fact it seems that facebook and other websites make it easy for people to publish their names. Because it seems websites ask for names and addresses in the forms that are used for sign in. So it seems that it is okay to type personal information in websites.A discussion is going on about the hide function of Facebook. Some people think that it should be on hide by default.

Something related to this is that it seems that some people don't realize how much information about themselves is available on the internet. And clicking on some links on people's facebook, profiles and other social network websites can reveal names and names of schools. And it seems a lot of people don't realize that.
In fact it seems that facebook and other websites make it easy for people to publish their names. Because it seems websites ask for names and addresses in the forms that are used for sign in. So it seems that it is okay to type personal information in websites.

A discussion is going on about the hide function of Facebook. Some people think that it should be on hide by default.

See, you get the point now... why try to hide all that information if it is so easy to find out?

Something related to this is that it seems that some people don't realize how much information about themselves is available on the internet. And clicking on some links on people's facebook, profiles and other social network websites can reveal names and names of schools. And it seems a lot of people don't realize that.
In fact it seems that facebook and other websites make it easy for people to publish their names. Because it seems websites ask for names and addresses in the forms that are used for sign in. So it seems that it is okay to type personal information in websites.

A discussion is going on about the hide function of Facebook. Some people think that it should be on hide by default.

There's other ways to find peoples' information without using those methods as well. Those do make it significantly easier though.

But yeah, it just doesn't make sense why people are so paranoid. You have the same chances of being kidnapped by a random person walking down your street as you do being attacked or whatever from someone who went out cyber-stalking you. Honestly I'd say the chances are BETTER that the offline person would come after you than the online one -- because online the chances are it's a huge distance.

rpgsearcherz is right. I'd be more afraid to give out even the smallest and most trivial information to people I see in real life because they could actually and physically do something about it. People I'm talking to on the net could be a hundred million miles away from me and even if I give them small information, they can't be able to do much about it.And Facebook is a different thing altogether. You should only add people YOU KNOW on Facebook since its really open and there are privacy settings there, whether you'd like to show whatever you post to friends, friends of friends or to the whole world.