xisto Community
wasi

Quitting School... did you quit school?

There is never any good reason to quit school. For one thing, you'll most likely never get a job higher than a position flipping burgers at McDonald's, especially if you quit in 5th grade. A GED (General Equivalency Diploma) is supposed to be about the same as a high school diploma, but there's nothing like the real thing. You'll have a much easier time getting into college if you graduate from an actual high school instead of just taking an "equal" test.

If you want to go back (which you really should), then you'll have to work really hard to catch up, but graduating late is still much better than not at all.

I can't really think of much else to prod you with, but you'll find a lot of benefits of finishing school if you Google something like "stay in school"

143217[/snapback]

I beg to differ. I'm a highschool drop out. I had some VERY good reasons to do so. I'm assuming I'm not the only one to have my reasons. And I'm doing just fine with my life, even though I never actually 'graduated' where/when I was supposed to.

I went into correspondance courses... which were much different than school. The people there weren't helpful at all. The course work they gave me was so outdated, and photocopies of photocopies that half of the time were outdated.

But you know what? I stuck through it all. And I grew as a person. I grew up much faster than most of the people around me. I had no choice. So, I entered college a few years late. Not a big deal. I'm not the oldest in my class. There is one person ahead of me age-wise because she's onto her second degree.

As for me having a much easier time getting into college from going to and finishing high school. I don't think so. I got in perfectly fine, and am well adjusted to the course load and actually got myself a scholarship for being top in my course. Pretty good for a drop-out, eh?

Anyway, I think you are very courageous for wanting to finish your schooling, and I congratulate you on that. Wanting to go back is the first step. Obviously there are going to be some bumps along the way, but if you stick with it... you can do anything!

The best of luck to you and your studies :lol:

Quit school once you graduate from college. That's what I'm planning to do XD Once I get my 2 year degree... theres no good reason to drop out of school in high school. If you don't mind being a loser, that is. And expect to make money off the internet. People who drop out of school clearly don't care about their lives and think they have "better" buisness to do. Geez...

For the education, it's never too late for learning.. i share you, one of my brother who about 23, after drop out from 2th year of degree, just went for working and now he back track to study (now the age is about 30) ..of course study never be late for those who want to learn..you know, i just came out from my country,my home,my family for "study"!!life is the learning... go wasi :lol:

Midnightvamp, may I inquire as to your reasons? It seems like you did very well, but the vast majority of people who drop out don't.

145928[/snapback]

Not so much , i can name 10 succesful drop-outs, starting with my father :rolleyes:

( oh and i only know about 10 highschool dropouts )

I beg to differ. I'm a highschool drop out. I had some VERY good reasons to do so.

So, I entered college a few years late. Not a big deal. I'm not the oldest in my class.

As for me having a much easier time getting into college from going to and finishing high school. I don't think so. I got in perfectly fine, and am well adjusted to the course load and actually got myself a scholarship for being top in my course. Pretty good for a drop-out, eh?

143234[/snapback]

I do know of some people myself with very good reasons to drop out of High School. High School is *one* system of learning and to assume that *everyone* will fit and learn well in that one system is just illogical.

a person can be completly off the game (cos the school system is like a jumping through hoops game) in High School and be perfectly succesful in college because college is very diferent than High school. or some can be star students in High school and be completly lost in college (i know some of those too).

the only thing you need to be succesfull is self motivation.

I am getting a bit old too, I am 23 and still a Jr. in college. its just taking me long. no big deal. had a couple years off. had some slow semesters. etc. nobody cares how old you are in college...

I would drop out but here is ten reasons I can'tGrounded for lifeeh nothing to doget yelled atall my crap is taken awaynothing to do but sleepbordomjust wait till I graduate from collegegonna work for the militaryim going off topicrightohwell.-mechvegita-

I'm just wondering. I've quite school (In the 5th grade, about 4-5 years ago) and I haven't been back. And now I'm starting to want to. Not just because of the future, but because I think it would be good for me. But where do I start?

First of all, why do you want to go back to school? It defies the purpose of quitting! I'm not saying that you're wrong for quitting, nor am I suggesting that you shouldn't learn any more than your current knowledge capacity holds. Though, you really don't need schooling to learn.

As for GEDs, they're not so hot at all. Sure, they're alright, but you're better off going with another program--getting a CDG (or something like that, I can't remember what it's called off-hand). You take some work home from a school, do it, bring it back, get tested there, occasionally, and should you pass everything, you get an actual high school diploma from whatever school you do this testing in (certain schools don't hold this program). My mother has done this and has a diplome in the West Islip High School and she wasn't even in that district.

And for my curiousity, how did you get out of school so early?

I'm 16. I quit school when I was 14. Like you said, I just "slipped through the cracks." Now it's something I regret and I'm going to try to go back. Graduating a year or two behind my original class is better than not graduating at all.As for you, you might be too advanced to go back, but it's something that you'd have to talk to your local board of education about. If you are too advanced, you could go for a GED or a correspondence program. I'm sure there are other options too. Take care, and don't give up!!! <_<

I'm just wondering. I've quite school (In the 5th grade, about 4-5 years ago) and I haven't been back. And now I'm starting to want to. Not just because of the future, but because I think it would be good for me. But where do I start?

Um, where are your parents? Why hasnt anyone asked this? My mother may have not been the best to me, but I went to elementary school, and she made sure of it. High school, maybe even Junior High i can understand how they would let someone fall through, but 5th grade?

I stopped going regurely in Junior high, just life was more fun for me i preferred the party life to the school life, and i had a lot of problems with my home life and i just wanted to be out of the house, and away from people at school. The thing i hate is that they let me do it, i mean i didnt start going back regurely until probably my sophmore year. They should have held me back each year, because i never did work and I hardly ever went to school. But I live in SoCal and is over populated, they tend to just let kids go, because they have others to worry about. But i never actually quit school.

I dont know, how you will be able to get back onto school. Im guessing home schooling, or ILP...but you have to learn stuff from junior high im sure, not just highschool so that might be difficult.

As for the statement above about there never being a good reason to leave school - 1. Im sick, and sometimes i cant even get to school i hurt so bad, but i still go- but if i didnt would you really hold it against me? I can think of many other reasons why one wouldn't finish school, and it not be bad. And, its a lie that you cant get a good paying job without school, sure its hard to advance at jobs, but money is money.

If you wanted to go back you would have to take a knowledge test to see what grade you should be placed in and then you will have to start again wherever the test results show you would be able to start. I'm sure you wouldn't start again in the 5th grade but probably higher up than that. I am not really sure how it works exactly though.

I am almost certain you have to be at least sixteen years old to drop out or quit school.At least that is what I thought I may very well be wrong though.
How exactly does one drop out or quit?

yes in Germany you have to be 16
i didnt drop school but when i had my examen i didnt continue school but i could have done a better examen so maybe iam continue school
i know many people who droped school i even know 2 persons who dropped at the age of 16 i think dropping school isnt good except you know what your job will be but most times school is much more fun than working in germany you can go to afterwork school when you have a job and want to have a better education so you theoreticly could drop school go to work and when you want to continue school you coold go to "afterwork school" and than you can go to a univerity because i think making a exam at after work school is much easier than making a exam in a regular school

i left my high school nearly year before last year what happen was school couldnt offer what i wanted so i decided to finish that year off after my exam.Last Year i went and did a course in webdevelopment in town which i passed later so i do most of my website work and work from home as well as my part-time job.

That is a very sad stroy because without school how is anybody going to get a slodi education and geet a good job. Tell me this, what job s somebody who quit school very young going to get is he going to be a doctor, an atrounaout, a teacher, no they are those people you see at Mcdonals's those sa re the people that work in the garaba place,t hose are the people who are homless. Those are the people who drug deal as well. Really, what will you do. Without a solid education you cannot do anything in your life!

NCES publishes an annual report that allows readers to compare dropout rates over time (McMillen et.al., 1994). Nationwide, dropout rates have declined during the last decade:
* The status dropout rate for 16- to 24-year-olds declined from 14.6 percent in 1972 to 11.0 percent in 1992 and 1993;

* The event dropout rate for ages 15 through 24 in grades 10 through 12 has fallen from 6.1 percent in 1972 to 4.5 percent in 1993; and

* The cohort rate [3] for students who were sophomores in 1980 and dropped out between grades 10 and 12 was 11.4 percent, while the cohort rate for a comparable group of 1990 sophomores was 6.2 percent.

Even though the rates are declining, they still represent a large number of people. In 1993, approximately 381,000 students in grades 10 through 12 dropped out of school, and approximately 3.4 million persons in the United States ages 16 through 24 were high school dropouts.

Dropout rates are about the same for males and females, but the rates are not the same for students from different ethnic groups or different income levels. In general, rates are higher for minority students and students from disadvantaged backgrounds. The 1993 status dropout rate was:

* 7.9 percent for white students, compared to 13.6 percent for black students and 27.5 percent for Hispanic students; and

* 2.7 percent for students with a high family income level, compared to 23.9 percent for students with a low family income level.

Rates for American Indians and Alaska Natives are quite high, while those for Asian-American students are quite low. The dropout rate is greater in cities than in other localities, and is highest in the West and South (OERI 1993).

Those are the statitics in 1992 and 1993 in high school drop out statitics. As you can see there is a 7.9 percent for whites, a 13.6 for blacks and 27.5 for hispanics. This is really heartbreaking because in my mind anybody who puts their mind to it can graduate and succede in life. Now where do you think these people are right now? I know some probably do have a job, a stable one, a good family and mayb have a wonderful life, but I know most of these people do dont and probably regret dropping out of school. So in cnoclusion, people no only need to take school seriously, but at least try and stay in school and not just quit cause it got to hard!