xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

How Do You Define The Natural Resources (Sun, Moon, Cloud...) As She Or He?

"she's"
Sun, Earth, Clouds and Stars I would say

"He's"
by process of elimination Wind, Rain, Sky, Moon are he's

great kobra, you are the first one here who considered the sun as female and moon as male, just like me. happy for not being alone in the world who thinks so  :).

great kobra, you are the first one here who considered the sun as female and moon as male, just like me. happy for not being alone in the world who thinks so  :).

actually, that is not true. hurt4love responded first in agreement with what you originally posted. don't know why. again, putting genders to nature is usually through certain religions. it's an interesting point though that certain languages put genders to nature and objects. spanish is one of those languages i studied that does this. i really don't have a clue to the history of languages to know why they do that, but i can assume it probably has something to with their culture. the spanish language also distiguishes between formal and informal.....depending on who you are talking to or who you are talking about.

actually, that is not true. hurt4love responded first in agreement with what you originally posted. don't know why. again, putting genders to nature is usually through certain religions. it's an interesting point though that certain languages put genders to nature and objects. spanish is one of those languages i studied that does this. i really don't have a clue to the history of languages to know why they do that, but i can assume it probably has something to with their culture. the spanish language also distiguishes between formal and informal.....depending on who you are talking to or who you are talking about.

well, maybe she said that between us but i can't remember, anyway i will ask her to post her though.

and i think that original languages like French, Spanish, germen..ect. add a genders to nature to differ them from objects. because nature resources like sun, moon, rain, wind....ect do an action unlike the objects which do nothing.

and you could find this in languages other than English because English is not an original language but it is a hybrid language that originally had been invented long time ago when the need for communicate between different people that speak different languages appeared. therefor, English been invented to make all the world understand one language other than their mother language to communicate better and understand each other better. and this is why you can find a similarity between words in French or Spanish and words in English.   

i always admire the one who came up with this idea, and implemented it, i can't remember who is he, but maybe i will do more research about that  :).

I refer to all of the above as "it." I do not really see inanimate objects as being males or females. As others have pointed out though, some people use the Greek genders for them -- such as Shiva would be the Goddess of Ice, so they might refer to ice as being a "she."

i think most people will refer to them as "it". i think the real question here though is if you were to personally assign a gender to those things, what would the genders be. "it" is a very general word so i think the point of the thread was to be more specific. heck, i've referred to a baby as an "it" before :) i.e. "it's getting hungry" or "it's getting tired", etc...so let's start out simple. if you had to, would you say the sun is a HE or a SHE? :)

i think most people will refer to them as "it". i think the real question here though is if you were to personally assign a gender to those things, what would the genders be. "it" is a very general word so i think the point of the thread was to be more specific. heck, i've referred to a baby as an "it" before i.e. "it's getting hungry" or "it's getting tired", etc...
so let's start out simple. if you had to, would you say the sun is a HE or a SHE?

i said that before anwiii, most of other languages give them a gender. only english and maybe a few more language don't. 

and never mind calling a baby by "it". they deserve it, they are naughty most of the time  :). and i still say, i call the sun as "SHE" and the moon as "HE".

I would refer to things relating to storms or destruction as being "he's" then (the sun, the moon, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.) and I would refer to those that reflect more of the nurturing things as being "she's" (such as water, snow, the sky, foods, etc.).

how you define our natural resources as SHE or HE??

I would rather call them all IT.
But then it would make speech very dull. <_<

As other people have said, I think that gender of such things depends on the culture and religion and native language.

so what do you think or how do you name ( SUN, MOON, CLOUD, WIND, STAR, SKY, RAIN, earth )??

Sun: He
Moon: He. But moonlight is a she.
Cloud: He
Wind: She
Star: He
Rain: She
Earth: She

Because they are referred to this way in Urdu, my native language.

I would refer to things relating to storms or destruction as being "he's" then (the sun, the moon, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.) and I would refer to those that reflect more of the nurturing things as being "she's" (such as water, snow, the sky, foods, etc.).

Hey! Thats unfair. Men can be pretty nurturing too. And women can be destructive too.
Edited by Shahrukh (see edit history)

i like your way of thinking rpgsearcherz :) even it is not always correct, like Shahrukh said, men could also be nurturing and tenderness just like women. and especially for someone i know who thinks that women are destructive more than men ;).

and Shahrukh, it is nice to think that MOONLIGHT is a she, i definitely think that too :) .
Edited by web_designer (see edit history)

it is nice to think that MOONLIGHT is a she, i definitely think that too :) .

the moon is a he and moonlight is a she? what is this supposed to mean? the moon is gay and giving off feminine qualities? i would also have to say that that is one ugly "she" to be hiding in the dark!

the moon is a he and moonlight is a she? what is this supposed to mean? the moon is gay and giving off feminine qualities? i would also have to say that that is one ugly "she" to be hiding in the dark!

nooo anwiii, i think it is nice to think that the moonlight is a SHE even whereas the moon is a HE. because moonlights is more soft and kind to be a HE, and don't messed things up in here, it is not about the absolute meaning of he or she, but how you look and feel of the gender of anything in the nature.

and Shahrukh, it is nice to think that MOONLIGHT is a she, i definitely think that too :) .

I am glad we agree over that. :)

Well...light is a 'she', so moonlight is a she too. But moon is a satellite, ought to be a 'he'.

to me, SUN is she, MOON is he, CLOUD is she, WIND is he, STAR is she, SKY is he, RAIN is he, and EARTH is she.

In my country language, the word can be feminine or masculine..

so to me, SUN is she, MOON is he, CLOUD is he, WIND is he, STAR is she, SKY is he, RAIN is he and EARTH is she.

So the difference is only in CLOUD, in my country different books and etc., clouds are usually male faced :D

Moonlight for me is is also she, but only because the word LIGHT is she, but the MOON is he, so it's his light and light is she :D

About moonlight, in my mother tongue, it's separate words moon light, in English it seems to be not separate, even though I just thought, that we have one word which is a synonym for moonlight, it's also a she though :P
Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

Here in this part of the world we have following way to note the things. Sun: HeMoon: HeAir: HeWind: HeEarth: SheRiver: SheOcean: HeElectricity: SheMeteors: SheCold/winter: SheThere is more but i managed to remember this much.

Earth: SheRiver: She
Ocean: He

Electricity: She
Meteors: She
Cold/winter: She

There is more but i managed to remember this much.

good mahesh, you added new things to give them genders, i will tell you how i call these new natural resources ;)

Earth: is a she.
River: is a he.
Ocean: is a he.

Electricity: is a she.
Meteors: is a she.
Cold/winter: is a he.
hot/summer: is a he.
spring: is a he.
autumn: is a he.

and i will wait for you mahesh to remember more and post in here ;) .