xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
networker

This New Forum Is Terrible!

This new forum is a joke. The pages take forever to load, never quite loading properly. It's as though there is a constant script running, as when you try to type something,the page keeps jumping around all over the place. Most times it's impossible to post something. I think they should fix it quick or Xisto users will beleaving en masse.Not only that, but Mycents seems to be taking ages to update as well.Also, one can only now view several of ones past posts. Just greatfor helping with a discussion right?It doesn't look good at all. Talking about making a mess of things.

well, networker. i don't know why you feel like that, you know that the whole forum is under update so consider yourself you are testing the forum and cheer up. for me i like it a lot, the color and features are great but need more work of course but anything good takes time to be good. so we should be more patient and wait for the best. in fact i think the number of new visitors increased the last three days in spite of all the errors and bugs here, also a lot of members have been much more active than before. although i agree with you that pages load so slow but i remember that buffalohelp said it is just a matter of time until the upgrade completes. about posting, maybe you should check your browser. because right now i use three browsers (firefox, internet explorer and opera) and i have no problem when writing a post at all. nothing jumping or moving, and you can see that from the number of posts here in one day.

Please take the time to read through this topic, it mentions about myCENTs not updating.

Concerning performance, perhaps it is the browser you are using. I'm using Opera and the majority of the forum seems to be working faster than it did with the previous version. Some pages may take a bit longer to load, but now visiting the pages that took me a while to load, they are now loading at decent speeds, so you may want to check them out again.

Overall, i like this version better than the previous one as it contains more features, though i do find the posts requiring slightly more effort to follow visually.

The forum was loading very slow for me for past 4 days. I'm using FF. And I know your frustration.But today, it's loading very fast and better than v2.x, in my opinion. And it's because OpaQue had to disable a lot of unnecessary codes such as unused ajax features, turn off unwanted php optimizers etc. And while he was adding and upgrading additional features, he had to disable or put the server on the slow mode. Otherwise every time he wanted to upload a file to make it work he would have to wait for server to respond back. And it's not easy when 100 or more users are refreshing/loading the page and causing the server to become busy.You get the idea.

As I replied in another post, I just got frustrated for being unable to post properly,and for not being able to read about updates because the pages were loading really,really slowly. I just think email notification before hand to members about important upgrades might be a good thing.

The mycent is ofcourse having slow response as of now. I have gone through the post related to mycent concept and working but am still not satisfied with the result and performance so far, but things will be better soon as I know the scripts are being modified and features added and or removed to optimize the performance. Not withstanding with the testing phase will be a harsh statement and so I wait patiently for my mycents to update soon.

I have no problem with this forum at all!! The old one took almost 3 minutes to load with a cable modem on FF, and now it loads in seconds, much better than before >.< I don't understand your quarrel, but I hope that you do continue to post with us!!

Personally i've always been against IPB 3, it's not exactly what I would call a forum and imo it was a mistake to upgrade.and as for the increase in "members" it's actually an increase in "guests" which I can't really understand cause the upgrade wouldn't have anything to do how the pages are indexed, other then that, member wise.. the forums have sorta died imo... just look at the contest I have running... great prizes and no ones really paying attention to it? yea i'd say the forums have pretty much died.

Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)

I'm beginning to regret my last post. I love the new forum don't get me wrong, and I know it takes a while to get everything just right, I know, I'm a coder, but this is a premade script, there's not much that has to be added!! I don't understand why there is so many issues, and the amount of time it is taking, I referred a few of my friends over to the site, one day before the change, and they have already called me moaning about how it is a scam!! I mean I know it's not, but ya know, my site is down until the myCent feature is working again.. which will be... who knows when!! I mean I just don't understand... can someone explain what is taking him so long!!

well kira, i agree with you things getting bad here. but it is all a matter of time as you said before. also, completing the upgrade is so difficult process to be done. especially for a forum like Xisto with a huge database, and more than 64.ooo members. therefore, upgrading needs a lot of work since the forum already had been optimized many times before, that means a lot of scripts had been added by the admins to gave a special look for the forums. therefore, absolutely it will take time to make everything work as usual. and to get everything work and compatible with the new theme. add to all that the new scripts are being added to the forum.

It would have been a good idea to notify the members about the upgrade so that they could prepare themselves for the change. Since the upgrade was sprung upon us so suddenly, I guess some of us have not gotten used to it in the positive way. For me the forum loading time is about average and I haven't noticed much change over the past few days. But I think after the cleanup it will be much faster for everyone. As for the myCENTs, they've had a history of being down and up again. So let's just keep our fingers crossed that they come up soon again :) @Soviet Rathe: I don't agree that the forums have died. The members just need some time to get used to the change. And as for your contest, if I remember right, the prizes were for US citizens only? I guess that took off the enthusiasm from a lot of members, which explains the low response. But still, I wouldn't let my hopes down. Just think of this as a bad phase for the place. Soon it'll be back up and running again. @kira423 : It must have been frustrating to see your friends being let down. But I hope you win them back to the forum as soon as the myCENTs system starts working again.

@ designer, I understand what your saying, but you know out of the 64,000 members that are actually on the site get online? If it were me I would do a massive cleanup, and delete the members that haven't been online for like over a year! @ simpleton, yes a warning would have been nice, I mean I was on one second, I went to town got back on and BOOM upgrade, I was still needing to make 1 more dollar for my hosting, and bam mycents are delayed, it has been almost a week, so I hope they at least hold strong to having the mycents updated!!

This new forum is a joke. The pages take forever to load, never quite loading properly. It's as though there is a constant script running, as when you try to type something,
the page keeps jumping around all over the place. Most times it's impossible to post something.

Well its not a joke as they do what it says 'Post-2-Host' I think you will find the page loading time has decreased from when we was on 2.3.6 this is therefore because the HTML in IPB 3.0 is flattened.

I think they should fix it quick or Xisto users will beleaving en masse.

Incorrect. So far after the change I have seen more activity in one day than a week when we was on IPB 2.3.6

Not only that, but Mycents seems to be taking ages to update as well.Also, one can only now view several of ones past posts. Just great
for helping with a discussion right?
It doesn't look good at all. Talking about making a mess of things.

If you look at announcements you will see there is one called Mycents Offline this is because they are updating the script after upgrading to IPB 3.0
You seem the only member to complain and silly little things about this.

MyCents have always taken a while to update, this is nothing new. Secondly, I don't have any problems loading the pages on this forum in Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, if you're still on Microsoft Internet Explorer, you should really consider joining the rest of the world and getting a new browser:Mozilla Firefox:https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ Google Chrome:https://www.google.com/chrome/
Personally, I rather like the new forums; they look more professional, and have plenty of new features. There is something I don't like, though:First off, this may seem petty, but on the new toolbar at the bottom of the browser, there is a button that says "Setup ur own Website." I find it extremely unprofessional to be using texting-speak on a button that we all see in the middle of the page. I know some businesses are hopping onto the "u" bandwagon and abandoning "you," but such businesses usually have a product that targets pre-teen age customers. Most of us are adults here, please change it to "Setup your own Website.

@ designer, I understand what your saying, but you know out of the 64,000 members that are actually on the site get online? If it were me I would do a massive cleanup, and delete the members that haven't been online for like over a year!

what would be the reason to delete members who haven't logged in for a year? they are still members. have an account here and some of them are on the mycent plan. i think even those people who haven't logged in in a while deserve their mycents to be here if they ever come back to the forums. so i am curious what your reasons would be to delete those members. i hope it's a really good reason or maybe you should put some thought in to what you post.