xisto Community
rvalkass

Do Not Buy An Intel Core I7 920...

...because what you'll end up with is a block of epoxy shaped like a heatsink, and some solder slapped on a blank PCB.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/636484-Reported-fake-Intel-CPU-sold-at-Newegg-(first-build-ever-i7-920)
http://news.google.com/news?cf=all&hl=en&pz=1&ned=us&q&js=0

It seems that Newegg in the US received a shipment of 300 fake i7 920 processors, and never checked that what they received was genuine. They've then been shipped out to people wanting to build their own PCs, who're now going through the process of returning their "processors" for real ones. The effort gone into designing the box, packaging, moulding the heatsinks, getting the weight right, makes this look like a very high-value and organised criminal operation. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other crates of these fake CPUs lying in retailers' warehouses around the world waiting to be shipped to consumers.

Looking at the pictures is fascinating - everyone who has received one of these has said how they can't tell the difference between a genuine one and a fake until they've opened the box and got the horrible fake heatsink in front of them. How would you feel if this happened to you? Any theories of how this is happening?

Wow, too bad. Good job I don't use Newegg for stuff. :angel: I can't believe someone would do such a thing though...

This is truly shocking -I can't imagine criminals are interested in doing such things as well. Most people simply buy a ready-to-take-home PC and very few assemble it themselves and so this is going to affect only those few people, but still it's nasty to do such a thing. When you think about it, it's also funny in a sort of way! No one would imagine getting cheated while buying such a small thing as a processor! Ok so lets hope this gets covered soon and such a thing doesn't happen again

It's kind of weird for Newegg to have let such a thing happen. I can't imagine it was due to people returning a product, given their return policy—they even check for manuals (which not many read). I don't think a business would miss out on an opportunity to not refund a person. 300 fake Intel processors, that's too many to be just random people returning things. Rather, it seems more like it is something bigger. I don't purchase Intel processors anyway, but this seems like it can happen for any product, not just processors, and for any business.

Hi!Creating fake iPhones does make sense because there are a lot of people out there who would want to get something that looks like the iPhone but is actually a whole lot cheaper. I doubt anyone would willingly want to buy a fake Intel Core i7 processor, whether or not it looks like a Core i7 or not because it's not really something that they can show around telling people that they have an Intel Core i7. Counterfeit Nokia look-alikes would probably sell too.There are other cheap goods that aren't really copies of anything, and they are really great. There are cell phones that can display television channels that are free-to-air and have pretty good reception too. Most channels are digital but there still are a couple of channels, perhaps national televsision channels, that aren't digital yet or are available with a regular old-fashioned television antenna.It actually makes more business sense to come up with a genuine product, such as a laptop or a desktop computer with lots of case mods to look like an alienware, or perhaps something that's been worked on even more. Would anyone settle for a glowing dragon LED logo on the back of the display panel? How about a choice between the dragon, a tribal pattern like those in tattoos, logos of popular games, and a whole lot of other things to customize? Those would definitely sell better than counterfeit processors that are packaged in boxes that look like they came from Intel.If people directed their efforts in the right direction, they would be able to come up with something successful, something that consumers would want to buy.

Any theories of how this is happening?

I can't believe I was just about to order one from newegg!!! Oh man I'm so glad Xisto members are on top of these kinds of scams!

I have an idea where the "swap" might have happened--at the shipping yards. While containers are waiting to be check for shipping procedures, possibly counterfeits were swapped out without anyone's knowing.

Or, perhaps the delivery truck driver made a quick cash by turning away while counterfeits were placed instead of the original ones.

Good post and I'm glad I check it out before making my next purchase.

Lol, i wonder how many fake processors shipped to branded desktop makers. hmm, like dell, HP and so on. If they get something like this then how come they'll manage it ? Newegg is reputed company when it comes to selling wonder how they didn't see through the distributor who is selling them those things. Chances could be delivery people made some plan or distributor sent the defective pieces. by the way, is it just newegg or any other online vendor got hit with it ?

This is the single most fantastic, flamboyant act of computer hardware fraud I've ever heard of. There are so many ways to make money legitimately, it makes me wonder how something such as carefully creating mock processor units is managed -- and where? They must have some tools at their disposal to create such convincing look-a-like boxes and manufacturer so MANY of them. Wow. I bet it did make some criminals a lot of money -- and at the expense of every honest person who bought into them. A shame. :angel:

That is fascinating, luckily I don't have enough money to be able to even be ripped off like that :angel:Was the fake cpu like a trashed old cpu or is it just.. fake. period. like won't even work at all?

Was the fake cpu like a trashed old cpu or is it just.. fake. period. like won't even work at all?

According to reports from people who actually received them these fake CPUs are an offcut square of PCB with a heatspreader glued on one side, and fake pads made from solder. It looks like the forgers have taken a cast of a genuine PCB, then used that to form fake pads on the PCB from solder. There are no cores or anything - they're totally useless :angel:

Thats awesome haha, I think its great how somebody was able to stick an order in like that. But that makes me think.. Where does Newegg order from? Did they order from somebody random, or do you think these people stuck there fakes inside the intel warehouse, or what?It is kind of confusing.. Because me, myself, would rather Newegg be buying straight from the manufacturer, instead of through other people.

Normally you'd expect people to rush to log in to Newegg and give the product one egg for receiving a fake Intel CPU (perhaps even with a complaint that states they couldn't give the product 0 eggs). However, unless this one is not the one, none of the bad reviews mention anything about receiving a fake CPU. So, as i would expect from any company, it appears like the problem should have already been taken care of—though, in either case, you could always request for a replacement.