xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Soviet Rathe

Review Of ESET Nod32 Antivirus4

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok heres my complete review of EST NOD32 Antivirus
NOD32 isn't that well known, it's pretty new and I had to do my research before choosing to test it out, after reviewing all of the other AV's Norton,Kaspersky, etc.. I decided to give NOD32 a try. because it had very few negative reviews and many good reviews.

before going any further I must warn you, this is the kind of AV that the geeks at the computer store will recommend, there are ALOT of settings so to fully customize it, you will need to have moderate knowledge of computers.

The 30MB package installed in about 1/2minutes. after entering my username and password for the premium upgrade, it began to download another 30MB file to upgrade it (since I had the premium version).

Posted Image

User Friendliness: The first thing I did was look at the list of settings, as stated above, there are a TON of settings to customize (don't worry though if you don't know what most of these mean, the default values should be fine for the normal user). NOD32's settings are quite unique to other antivirus softwares, you can completely customize and automate every aspect of how it runs, (scans before or after certain events, updates, actions, etc..)
When it has something to tell you, a discreet little bubble will appear on the system tray saying "NOD32 requites your attention" I find that pretty human like XD

Posted Image

After configuring NOD32 I restarted my computer (It didn't ask me to, but I went ahead and did it anyway). once my computer restarted, I checked my system tray and discovered it was doing a startup scan, as soon as I realized this, I opened task manager, while doing the "startup scan" it uses about 45-50MB which isn't too bad considering McAfee uses more then that when it's idle! basically what the startup scan does is scan your computer's memory and system files for infections (not your whole computer) and it takes less then 2 minutes to complete.

Ok let's get to it's virus detecting ability, the way it handles suspicious files is also unique then that which other AV softwares do while doing a full system scan it detected some suspicious files, some of them it identified the threat they carried, others (this is the unique part) it identify's as "Probably a variant of a ----"
This is what the company calls "Smart Scan" which are new threats it can't identify, but potently dangerous, and it found a few threats that my old AV (Avast!) couldn't. also, while doing a full scan, it uses 40-50MB of memory, now there is a slight system slow down, but not too bad, and they can still work on things where alot of other AV softwares would use so much RAM you have to walk away because your computer is useless at that time. (NOD32 system scan took 55minutes)

Posted Image

It updates about twice a day and the file sizes are usually around 200-400 KB, and by default, it does a startup scan after every update.

Tested on:
Dell E310
Windows XP
512MB RAM

Summary

Pros:

• Uses 30-35MB of memory when idle.
  • Scanning uses 40-50MB of memory.
  • Virus detection ability is excellent.
  • Runs on any system smoothly.

Cons:

• None!

My rating:

• 10/10 in speed and recourses.
  • 9/10 in User Friendliness.
  • 9/10 Virus Detection ability.

Overall: 10/10

I highly recommend it to anyone!

Never heard of it (you said yourself it's not that known.) l like the interface, it looks really clean and organized. The only thing that kind of worries me is that you need moderate computer knowledge. Problem is that I don't know how much that is, so I probably wouldn't touch something like this and then realize that I am unable to use it due to lack of knowledge. Another thing is I use Norton, so I most likely will not be switching to anything else, but it's always good to see that there are other feasible ant-virus software just in case something happens I have other options :angel:

I am an IT administrator for an organization and we have been using Nod for the last 4 years. Personally i think nod is one of the best anti virus packages out there. We have a license for 25 computers and i installed the NOD administrator on my xp computer and I let all the other computers point to my computer for updates and dumping of their log files. So from my computer i able to see which computers are being attacked by what malware and if they are up to date with patches etc. The administrator package allows you to do remote installs of any software you want so you can use this tool to deploy other software to your network. The nod client also has the ability to block removable media or only allow a certain usb device and not the rest. This exact feature is very useful if you want to disable flash drive virus's or stop employees from stealing company information via the usb port. Even though nod is very good there are sometimes malware that can get through just like all the other av's out there. There is just no AV that will protect 100% against everything. But I will say nod is certainly worth it's price.

ok, i think i will give it a try either, my trend micro is about to expire so i will need a new one. as, figure it out from reviews that is not very accurate. because most of the reviews i saw last year are putting kaspersky antivirus in the first or second top level but, from my experience as my os had been infected three times last year, kaspersky is not that good because my os had been infected each time when i was using kaspersky antivirus. in the other hand, i installed trend micro twice and my system still working with no error, no threat and no virus completely until it expires. so, don't trust reviews, they are not that good. therefore i will try this new antivirus, can you give me a download link.

I have used Nod32 before, but I wouldn't really say it's that much better then Kaspersky Internet Security. In my opinion Kaspersky is better. :angel:

ok, i think i will give it a try either, my trend micro is about to expire so i will need a new one. as, figure it out from reviews that is not very accurate. because most of the reviews i saw last year are putting kaspersky antivirus in the first or second top level but, from my experience as my os had been infected three times last year, kaspersky is not that good because my os had been infected each time when i was using kaspersky antivirus. in the other hand, i installed trend micro twice and my system still working with no error, no threat and no virus completely until it expires.
so, don't trust reviews, they are not that good. therefore i will try this new antivirus, can you give me a download link.

Sure! https://www.eset.com/us/home/antivirus/ You can try it for 30 days, I don't think there's any limitations to the trial, then if you like it it's only $39.99 for one user. Pretty cheap if ya ask me :angel:

Never heard of it (you said yourself it's not that known.) l like the interface, it looks really clean and organized. The only thing that kind of worries me is that you need moderate computer knowledge. Problem is that I don't know how much that is, so I probably wouldn't touch something like this and then realize that I am unable to use it due to lack of knowledge. Another thing is I use Norton, so I most likely will not be switching to anything else, but it's always good to see that there are other feasible ant-virus software just in case something happens I have other options

Although it's a good idea to have moderate knowledge, default values should be fine, that list of settings is only on the advanced settings view, the simple view should be easy.

can you please give us reasons why kaspersky is better? i am trying to get some decent information here and if you know that your antivirus program is better, i would like to know why unless it's just a childesh "my parents are better than your parents" comment.

peronally, i have never heard of this program. something has to be wrong when you haven't heard of a program and people are claiming it's the best out there. if it was better than the rest, i would imagine it would be a lot more popular and well known and people would have been talking about it more. again, i have never even heard of this program. not saying it's not good, but sounds to me that it's just like any other good antivirus program out there with nothing special about it.

I have used Nod32 before, but I wouldn't really say it's that much better then Kaspersky Internet Security. In my opinion Kaspersky is better. :angel:

From what I know, this is top-notch software. The reason you may not have heard of this might be because it's rare in personal use. It has advanced settings for business usage, such as the administrating settings & configurations, like someone here already mentioned. And sometimes, you just don't hear about things, like I thought JSP meant javascript for a year :P
I use avira and avast(on linux, mostly for checking if I have any windows viruses in my downloads).

Even so, I've been around many business settings/environments and still have not heard of NOD so maybe it's just not common in my area. But I do agree with the face that just b/c you haven't heard of something, doesn't mean it's bad. I remember it took me a while to finally discover MyBB and I still think that it's one of the best free web software out there. Just because I didn't hear about, didn't mean it was terrible software or anything :angel:

peronally, i have never heard of this program. something has to be wrong when you haven't heard of a program and people are claiming it's the best out there. if it was better than the rest, i would imagine it would be a lot more popular and well known and people would have been talking about it more. again, i have never even heard of this program. not saying it's not good, but sounds to me that it's just like any other good antivirus program out there with nothing special about it.

From what I know, this is top-notch software. The reason you may not have heard of this might be because it's rare in personal use. It has advanced settings for business usage, such as the administrating settings & configurations, like someone here already mentioned. And sometimes, you just don't hear about things, like I thought JSP meant javascript for a year :angel:
I use avira and avast(on linux, mostly for checking if I have any windows viruses in my downloads).

can you please give us reasons why kaspersky is better? i am trying to get some decent information here and if you know that your antivirus program is better, i would like to know why unless it's just a childesh "my parents are better than your parents" comment.

I said in my own opinion...doesn't have to be others opinions of Kaspersky being better. I just like it's features, style and it's little alert feature :angel:

I would put Kaspersky at the top as well, security wise. My reason does not include third-party reviews; rather, my judgment comes from this one website i came across a long time ago. The website for some reason was really hard to find, and i doubt i'd be able to find it again, but the website was some random, unofficial, online virus scanner. It only allowed a maximum file size but it would scan the file with at least 7 different popular virus scanners, Kaspersky being one of them. On the front page (or upload page) it would list the recent upload and the results of the scan. I would refresh the page every now and then to see new results. Out of all the ones i saw, Kaspersky had picked up the most out of all of them. Some of the free virus scanners listed on there did pretty good too.

Performance wise, i would not put Kaspersky on the top, maybe the bottom or near it. Therefore if one is looking for a decent virus scanner that takes up less resources, they should consider other ones. Nod32 probably doesn't waste much resources, at least perhaps not as much as Kaspersky—though the ones with a high price tag tend to use a significant amount of resources, along with those you might find pre-installed on your system.

I would put Kaspersky at the top as well, security wise. My reason does not include third-party reviews; rather, my judgment comes from this one website i came across a long time ago. The website for some reason was really hard to find, and i doubt i'd be able to find it again, but the website was some random, unofficial, online virus scanner. It only allowed a maximum file size but it would scan the file with at least 7 different popular virus scanners, Kaspersky being one of them. On the front page (or upload page) it would list the recent upload and the results of the scan. I would refresh the page every now and then to see new results. Out of all the ones i saw, Kaspersky had picked up the most out of all of them. Some of the free virus scanners listed on there did pretty good too.

Performance wise, i would not put Kaspersky on the top, maybe the bottom or near it. Therefore if one is looking for a decent virus scanner that takes up less resources, they should consider other ones. Nod32 probably doesn't waste much resources, at least perhaps not as much as Kasperskythough the ones with a high price tag tend to use a significant amount of resources, along with those you might find pre-installed on your system.

That seems like a trend with many different anti-virus packages. Mcafee was good, do not get me wrong, but just like Kaspersky it was resource intensive. That's the problem with most anti-virus software, it takes up way too much resources, but sometimes the more resources the better.

When it comes to heuristics and better malware detection, I give kaspersky the edge over NOD32. The good thing about NOD32 is that it's light on system resources and has an above average detection rate. If you're a long time Kaspersky user and you switch to NOD, you tend to get paranoid because NOD doesn't seem to be doing anything in the background, that's how light this AV is. But it does good job at blocking malware infections.

Have to agree on the point of NOD32 being light and bit less on heuristics in comparison to other AV. But it does good job of detecting malware and rootkits. And it's worth it if you're going to pay for the anti-virus. Kaspersky AV is good but i found a bit resource hungry and annoying with those messages even after disabling in settings. So if going for paid then NOD32 is good and if you want to go with free software then komodo AV is good software.

ESET's NOD32 is hands down the best antivirus program that i have ever used, while using this program i was not only able to eliminate all the existing viruses on my computer but i was able to prevent myself from suffering further infection. I also found that the rate of protection versus the slowdown of the computer was alot better compared to norton antivirus. the speed is however, comparable to avast! antivirus ( i've only tried the home one thats free not the full paid version ).Also, a while ago when trying to remove a virus from my computer that was messing everything up no other antivirus could detect the virus, but as soon as i installed NOD32 it came up as infected.