Compact Digital Cameras

Newspaper Subscriptions

CDs

New College Textbooks

Gas-Guzzling Cars

Energy-Inefficient Homes and Appliances

*link*

Here are my view about this:

DVDs - not surprising, their going to be replaced by Blue-Ray, but Blue-Ray is HD, does that mean they will be getting rid of the standard TV soon? they haven't they would, but the only way anyone benefits from Blue-Ray is if they have an HD television. so in my opinion if they plan to keep the standard television, what's the point of switching to Blue-Ray?

Home Telephone Service - Getting rid of landlines? I highly doubt that! there are so many things that rely on landlines, Businesses, it would be hard in my opinion to run a business from a cell phone. and another example is parole, when someone is issued an ankle bracelet they must have a landline to communicate with the station, what are they going to do about this? use a cell phone?! I think not. plus the country-living people who relay on dial-up internet (me) will have to switch to more expensive satellite internet, and for some (me) the price of such internet will have to go down before they can afford it.

External Hard Drives - Ok this one I find highly stupid, External Hard Drives are not a big thing that they should stop making them, they are a simple tool for storage, the article claims online-storage is a better alternative... what if you run out of space on your computer and need an external to expand your space and run programs from? you can't do that with online-storage. External Hard Drives are used for more then storage so I don't see these going away anytime soon.

Smartphone Also-Rans - Not surprising, the iPhone and Blackberry will be replacing older models.. what's the big deal here?

Compact Digital Cameras - Same as the above statement, a newer technology is replacing the old, no big-deal. although the newer models will be $500+ isn't that what the Polaroids first costs?

Newspaper Subscriptions - Also not surprising, almost everyone uses the internet or a cell phone as a source for news, and now that the Kindle has been introduced I imagine this is what will be replacing newspapers.

CDs - Sales of CD's are dropping, everyone knows this, I myself never buys a CD, it's so much easier to download and burn music, but even with this said, it's not clear what will be replacing them.. MP3 players? IPod's? or maybe something new that their not telling us about? sure they say downloading music is more convenient, but in my opinion that will promote piracy, and what will we play the music on besides MP3 players and IPod's? I suppose there are stereos that play audio files from a USB, but again, they are not clear on this.

New College Textbooks - This is a good idea, I don't think a bran-new book should be issued to everyone, most used books are like-new, this will be good for the environment, but that does not mean they should stop printing them all together, because sometimes books get outdated.

Gas-Guzzling Cars - This is the best turn-around they can do! the would needs to go green and stop destroying the earth!, not much more to say about this, but it's unclear about what will happen to the owners of these Gas-Guzzling Cars, will they be able to trade them in for fuel-efficient cars for free? I doubt it.

Energy-Inefficient Homes and Appliances - Just like the cars, this is good for the environment, not much more to say about this.

So what's your views?

DVDs

I can't see why they'd be scrapped. Blu-rayTM doesn't work with Linux and causes all sorts of headaches with the ludicrous limits they place on what you can do with your content. Also, I've got loads of DVDs, and there's no reason for me to go out and buy everything again on a different disc.

Landlines

I've got a landline. I use it every day. It's cheaper than a mobile. It's better quality than a mobile. I receive my broadband connection down it. I see no reason to scrap it.

External HDDs

They may well move to using solid state drives rather than traditional hard disc drives, but external storage certainly isn't going away. Online storage is useless for backup purposes in the event you lose your Internet connection, and is torturous to use with a slow Internet connection. Plus, consider what happens if your login details are stolen/released/guessed...

Smartphone Also-Rans

Not bothered about smartphones. Haven't got one, don't intend to get one. I use my mobile for making emergency phone calls; I don't need access to FacebookTM or whatever when I'm on the beach or out shopping (or at all for that matter).

Compact Digital Cameras

Digital SLRs are still very expensive for the average consumer, so I don't see compact cameras disappearing any time soon. For most people a compact camera provides good enough quality and is a lot less hassle and easier to use than an SLR, at a fraction of the cost.

Newspaper Subscriptions

I still see plenty of people getting newspapers delivered in the mornings, and going out to buy newspapers each day. The news online tends to be of lower quality (with regards to error checking) and somewhat less in depth than a printed paper. Also, you can read a printed paper wherever you want without a WiFi connection or DRM issues.

CDs

I still buy CDs for most of my music (the one exception is music from Magnatune). I get something physical for my money that has no DRM restrictions. It works with whatever I try to play it on. And, generally, it actually costs less. Downloads are low quality and lumbered with DRM. When I buy something I expect to actually own it, not be given a licence to listen to it so long as I have an Internet connection to a licence server on one of a limited number of approved PCs or a short list of compatible devices with the possibility of that licence being revoked at any time.

New College Textbooks

Most people sell their books on when they've used them anyway, and new versions need to be printed to correct errors and update the text. PDF versions of books aren't ideal - I don't always have access to a PC when I want to look at my books.

Gas-Guzzling Cars

Unlikely to go away in 2010 all of a sudden. Replacing the national networks of petrol stations with hydrogen filling stations, finding an efficient way of extracting and compressing hydrogen, and replacing all vehicles with hydrogen-fuelled engines could take a while...

Energy-Inefficient Homes and Appliances

Like above, unlikely to suddenly disappear in 2010. Most people now buy A-rated appliances when they replace them, so this has been going on a while already. Give it time and most appliances will have been replaced with A-rated versions. Buildings are somewhat harder to replace, so they could pose a greater challenge. It's generally more economically logical to adapt buildings to be more efficient but for some small businesses it's a cost they just can't afford.

I can definitely see landlines becoming obsolete very soon. Most people I know are switching to cell phones and why not? It's so annoying to call somebody's house phone and see that they are not there. With a cell phone, most people carry that everywhere they go so you really aren't going to miss them too often (of course there will be instances where the particular person will not have the cell phone on them, but the chance of this is less likely then somebody not being at the house as most people are usually outside of their house for most of the day.(For DVDs, I also see this. With things such as Netflix, and On deman television, there is no need for DVDs anymore. People can also rent movies from their houses, so video rental stores are really going to need to find different things to offer consumers to keep up in the market.

10 things that will become absolete in 2010? hahaha when you were shouting about this in the sb, i thought ok....maybe is 5-10 years with some of the stuff. not in 2010 though! it's not that hard to come up with a list like that since most technology DOES go absolete or at least part of the technology. but absolete in 2010? that is a JOKE. someone wrote a list just to get people to visit the website. that's all there is to it. nothing more than hogwash

I have to disagree with DVD and external HDD. I mean DVD is running like hell on third world countries and some developing countries as well. It's not so easy to replace them. External HDD ? Nah, they have their place as well and SMD and some other solution are not so cheap this year even if all the world declared cheap tax on electronic products SMD will not be cheap. So there will be no chance of getting any replacement for external HDD. Textbooks ? Hmm, as if all world uses netbook or macintosh in classroom. they don't use that at all. so i think there is no way textbooks will be replaced. ebooks, pdf all sound good but they are painful when it comes to comfort. unless we switch to ipad or kindle there is no way we can find comfort with ebooks. and buying ipad and kindle is waste of time and money IMO. compact camcorders like kodak zi8 or mino HD series are selling quite well and i don't know why they'll drop suddenly. my point is unless you bring some cheap alternative to any current hot purchase we can't replace them at all. there is not so easy way to do just that in 2010. and many countries are recovering from recession this time and that way it'll take some time to get on budget for electronics. not so easy to replace some cheap products.

in fact, this is very interesting list, but absolutely, they should think not twice but about fifth times before they will do that. because right now there are so many people still depending on land phones, newspapers and the other things like that. although, i love technology and trying the new generations of everything but we can't force the elders to accept that. i think we should respect their desires. in the same time, getting ride of or at least reducing the sources that cause pollution is a high recommended. for the sake of mother earth, to keep our planet green and safe environment for the next generations. text books, although many people now depending on pdf or ebooks (like me). but, i believe, always ans always there is no pleasure compare to reading a book in your hands, especially with a big mug of coffee and milk. this is the ultimate pleasure. i missed that a lot especially now, i am learning a new programming language and i have to do that using pdf. it is so painful for my eyes, i always have a headache also it get me boring.

10 things that will become absolete in 2010? hahaha when you were shouting about this in the sb, i thought ok....maybe is 5-10 years with some of the stuff. not in 2010 though! it's not that hard to come up with a list like that since most technology DOES go absolete or at least part of the technology. but absolete in 2010? that is a JOKE. someone wrote a list just to get people to visit the website. that's all there is to it. nothing more than hogwash

errr.... "Saw on the news"? It's not just a web article, it was on tv..

imo, some of these are a good start to going green, but unless the prices drop, things will get only worse because of the recession, no one will be able to afford those things.. especially the hybrids and fuel-effeciant cars.

Getting the truckers off the streets OR making the semi's put out less emissions would be one of the biggest parts of our problems, resolved.

and of course... stop burning fossil fuel! that's the worst one of our problems, with all of our technology we don't need that...

Wow I just realized that as well :angel:

I do agree with my previous post that these things will become obsolete, but like anwii has described there is no way that in 10 months these things will be gone. I mean, people still use VHS tapes, those aren't completely obsolete so there is really no way that DVD's will be.

it was actually on a t.v. news station? i am SO glad you pointed that out. so the news station is reporting the news and came up with a list huh? please...please tell me which one. i want to research this. this just locks the door on an already closed box with the news media in my opinion. i mean, if they are going to make crap up, they might as well make stuff up to report to the national enquirer to make a few bucks on the side.

Hmmm.. I can't seem to find it on their website, but it would ether be on http://www.cbsnews.com/ or http://www.kfvs12.com/ idk maybe you'll have better luck finding it :angel:

my views regarding this matter... i think not yet in 2010, it's 2010already, right? yet, most of the stuff listed, almost all of 'em, we still use today, like maybe 75 percent of the population in the world.

@DVDsI don't think they are going to be replaced yet, most people still cant afford a blu-ray player, even i can't, i just use my PS3 to play it :angel: @Home Telephone ServiceSoon, but not on 2010, its just not going to happen. You can have a cell phone but you still need a lan for your internet and other stuff like dial-up@External Hard DrivesExternal Hd are the best for storing data and retrieving them, its cheap and you can store hundreds of Gb at a time, movies and backups, It would take millions of cds to burn. Also, i have a live cd computer called Linux Mint that runs from my external hard drive.@Smartphone Also-RansWhat!@ I use my iPhone and plan to get the new Google Nexus within a few months. I use my phone for everything from torchlight to email! Iwould never give it up! plus, many people are making money of selling apps and music like itunes to it. Apple will never stop productions...@Compact Digital CamerasThis one is ridiculous, there is no way i can take pictures without one of these...I take them for every vacation? why is this on the lest anyway?@Newspaper SubscriptionsYeah, i think this is gonna go out in the US soon, but not anywhere else. I use by iPhone and Pc to read the news (reuters, yahoo, ap) but i think many people still like the idea of a newspaper that you can TOUCH.@CDsElectronic buying of music cds and stuff like Limwire thats illegal and iTunes , even though its legal and you have to pay as much as a CD, they are gonna take up the market soon, if they hadn't already. I have never bought a real cd, i just buy from the net. @New College Textbooks Most people use old textbooks or print them out or copy them, but eventually everyone will have to buy one of these. ;P@Gas-Guzzling CarsOf course, all the oil is gonna be dried up soon...@Energy-Inefficient Homes and AppliancesNot yet, i think never. These things are cheap, and cheap means good, and good means i can buy it and not waste any money :P

@DVDs
I don't think they are going to be replaced yet, most people still cant afford a blu-ray player, even i can't, i just use my PS3 to play it :angel:

I totally forgot about the whole blu-ray aspect of this all. For some reason, the concept of Blu Ray really hasn't hit me yet, as I do not use it nor will I for a while. I know the quality is supposed to be much better, but from the prices of Blu Ray, it's really just not worth it at the moment. The thing that I was referring to in my post was that the creation of services like Netflix where you know can stream movies and DVD's from your computer is really going to hurt both the DVD and Blu ray market because now not only do people not need to purchase the actual DVD's, but there will not be a need for video rental stores anymore.