xisto Community
ultrasmad

Java editor

Just as 2091, I use Eclipse. Sometimes, when I need to understand exactly what I'm doing I use BlueJ - http://www.bluej.org/ - it's for beginners and is easy to use, though sometimes it's highly annoying. I also use Smultron - smultron.sourceforge.net - sometimes for editing Java, PHP, etc - it's the fastest I've come across for the Mac.

Just as 2091, I use Eclipse. Sometimes, when I need to understand exactly what I'm doing I use BlueJ - http://www.bluej.org/ - it's for beginners and is easy to use, though sometimes it's highly annoying. I also use Smultron - smultron.sourceforge.net - sometimes for editing Java, PHP, etc - it's the fastest I've come across for the Mac.

BlueJ is for beginners but you have to say that it depicts objects nicely and if you are working on some large project then it might become really handy as you could see what have you connected and done so far.

EmEditor is the best for programming so it supports many programming languages with there own colors ... but for compiling Java programs I use J++ Compiler

EmEditor is the best for programming so it supports many programming languages with there own colors ... but for compiling Java programs I use J++ Compiler

If you are using sun's java then I would really suggest using javac that is original jdk because programs build with these compailers you mentioned tend to lose compatibility with other operating systems java enabled. Or if you would just connect you compiler to the original bin and lib files it should work properly.

There is also a program called bluej which I found and downloaded before, when I was trying to learn Java. It was very good, easy to use and didn't take too long to download, install and run. You should be able to find this program by doing a quick search on google.The problem with developing in Java, is that because it's such a technical language, you will find that all the compilers/ide's will need to be fairly big in size in order to be able to include descriptions of all the various functions and items that can be found in the Java programming language.I have used JCreator, BlueJ and Eclipse before and out of the three, I feel the one I've got on with the best would have to be BlueJ. This one seems to be the ide which is the most user friendly, for me anyway. Some other people disagree with me and say Eclipse is better.I guess the best Java ide to use varies from person to person. What I'd suggest you do, would be to download all of the Java editors listed on this topic and try each one out, maybe try the hello world script. You will then be able to decide which one you prefer and the one which you find makes the coding and compiling a lot easier.

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)

There is also a program called bluej which I found and downloaded before, when I was trying to learn Java. It was very good, easy to use and didn't take too long to download, install and run. You should be able to find this program by doing a quick search on google.
The problem with developing in Java, is that because it's such a technical language, you will find that all the compilers/ide's will need to be fairly big in size in order to be able to include descriptions of all the various functions and items that can be found in the Java programming language.

I have used JCreator, BlueJ and Eclipse before and out of the three, I feel the one I've got on with the best would have to be BlueJ. This one seems to be the ide which is the most user friendly, for me anyway. Some other people disagree with me and say Eclipse is better.

I guess the best Java ide to use varies from person to person. What I'd suggest you do, would be to download all of the Java editors listed on this topic and try each one out, maybe try the hello world script. You will then be able to decide which one you prefer and the one which you find makes the coding and compiling a lot easier.

Well the ide you decide to use it really depends on what do you intend to do with java. So if you are about a lot of graphical user interface I would suggest to everyone to use netbeans it is robust and to osme extent massive but it makes graphical user interface really a play. And if you are about overall programing and let's say networking or all the other things you can imagine I would suggest you to use eclipse.

And bluej is more for the beginners it helps them a lot to understand principles of the object oriented programing and the basic java structure.

I just started learning Java a couple days ago, and I started out with Netbeans, but it didn't really work for me. I just made a simple little applet, but when I moved the class file, it didn't work anymore.My brother that programs in Java for his job showed me Eclipse.It's the best thing I've found so far. I had already tried blueJ and NetBeans, but they didn't really work for me(I'd only tried each one for a day, though).Once you figure out how to configure Eclipse, it's the best thing you could use.

I just started learning Java a couple days ago, and I started out with Netbeans, but it didn't really work for me. I just made a simple little applet, but when I moved the class file, it didn't work anymore.
My brother that programs in Java for his job showed me Eclipse.
It's the best thing I've found so far. I had already tried blueJ and NetBeans, but they didn't really work for me(I'd only tried each one for a day, though).

Once you figure out how to configure Eclipse, it's the best thing you could use.

As you are beginner you said it yourself I would encourage you to use bluej if you are not accustomed to the object orainted programming. Though netbeans is really powerful tool and when you learn it it is really profesional and to some extent and in certain areas more powerful then eclipse.

Also I would like to say to you that you should start first with some other concepts of java rather then applets at the very beggining because they include many conecpt to if you are which new you will be completly lost like inheritence then implementations and maybe the most importnat real object orainted programming.

Yeah eclipse is really useful, i haven't used Netbeans much yet but it looks like it could be just as good.

yeah i vote for eclipse.i currently use it for work. it has several features that can be very productive.not to mention it not only can use as java editor, also c++, python once you install plugin.