xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
HoustonGuy

What Car Are You Driving?

Hi!@HoustonGuyI've still got an old 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS from the time I got into university for my Bachelor's degree. It's all-stock parts, including the floor mats that came with the vehicle! Apparently, the vehicle registration authority here does not renew vehicle registrations if any modifications have been made to the vehicle, including the installation of rear spoilers and custom steering wheels. However, we can install an additional knob to an existing steering wheel and accessorize the interiors.The 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS comes with a 3.0 liter V6 engine (unlike the 2009/2010 Toyota Avalon that has a 3.5 liter V6 engine instead).The 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS does not have parking sensors (neither rear nor front), comes with a rather modest CD player, and air dam. The 2009 Toyota Avalon has a set of parktronic sensors, and has a 6-CD changer while having more adjustments for the front seats. Although the 2009 Toyota Avalon is pretty good for what you get as a part of the package, the body of the vehicle matches that of a Toyota Camry for the most part - a Camry is the standard taxi cab vehicle in this part of the world so you wouldn't want to have something that even remotely resembles a taxi, would you?The Toyota Aurion was introduced here recently and seems to have similar specification to that of the Toyota Avalon, with minor changes to the body styling and a slightly weaker engine (though the engine does have the same liter-capacity).

We have a Volvo v40 (2003) Mercedes R350 (2008) and an Audi A4 1.8t quattro (2000)My brother and I crashed the VW Passat just recently though, was totaled. It was a VW station wagon passat (2002)

What car are you driving?
I am driving a 97 honda civic 4 cynlinder custom header, 18" enko wheels, jdm bodykit

i am a b.tech student and my papa gifted me a Maruti wagonR car on my birth day.its a good car.braking to mileage its good ,no jurk,i got a very good quality music stereo inside with built in Air conditioner.
Better fuel economy, Good Driver position, Powerful and yet silent engine, Big electrically operated left and right mirrors, Powerful A/C, Easy to drive.
but.........
The major drawbacks of WagonR are poor rear visibility, Lack of width of the backseat, The gear shift takes time to get used to, Interior is not charming.

but overall i love my wagonr..

Hi!@onkarnath2001The WagonR is quite spacious and that pretty much makes up for the drawbacks. You might want to get a rear view parktronic sensors for a cheap solution to your problem, though you would want to get a rear view camera for parking in 'tight' spaces. Also, you can get the factory-fitted music player with a Sony Xplod or any other player that has an auxillary-in socket for plugging in your laptop or an MP3 player. Apart from good fuel economy compared to larger vehicles, you can also get a WagonR factory-fitted with a CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) kit that lets you run on cheaper CNG instead of petrol. The WagonR does not have a diesel variant, which makes it a less attractive option for some buyers who are concerned about the safety of CNG.BTW, doesn't the WagonR have three rows of seating? I would imagine that it seats seven people. Or is it five people plus a stationwagon-style luggage space.

Hi!@getubeThe Maruti 800 vintage models almost look very retro and if you could find one and give it a good paint job, it would look rather pretty. The 800cc engine is too small to run with air conditioning though. The WagonR is good as a full-sized vehicle to carry passengers and shopping bags, but if you do want something more fuel efficient, you should take the Maruti A-Star for a test drive. The A-Star is sold internationally as the Suzuki Celerio and comes with a 1.0 litre engine, which works much better than the 800cc of a Maruti 800 if you want to have air conditioning.Apart from manufacturing small cars, Suzuki also manufactures cross-over / minivans. The Suzuki XL7, which isn't available in India, comes with a 3.6 litre engine and provides a four wheel drive. Fuel economy definitely takes a hit, but it can carry seven passengers and the four wheel drive offers better stability on the highways and when driving through sand.@StrikeeI always figured the Vauxhall was something you would drive to get away on the weekends and didn't really see it as a car you would drive to work everyday. What kind of reliability problems did you have with it?@LailaMercedes S-340? The closest I've seen was a Mercedes S-350, so I'm guessing it's a region-specific model sold by Mercedes. The number usually indicates the engine capacity, but it is by no means a precise indicator. The Mercedes S-400 is a hybrid, but since none of the cars in the Mercedes S-class have a 4.0 litre engine, I'm assuming that it's a 3.5 litre engine i.e. a Mercedes S-350 with an electric motor. Hybrid cars come in a lot of different varieties so it's hard to tell by just looking up a car listed as a hybrid.

We have a Volvo v40 (2003) Mercedes R350 (2008) and an Audi A4 1.8t quattro (2000)
My brother and I crashed the VW Passat just recently though, was totaled. It was a VW station wagon passat (2002)

DUDE! Your family is LOADED! You must be really, really rich... and seems like everybody in your family has a luxury car.. and who drives the Mercedes? I rarely see one of these here... most luxury cars are from Ferrari and Porsche.

Hi!
@getube

The Maruti 800 vintage models almost look very retro and if you could find one and give it a good paint job, it would look rather pretty. The 800cc engine is too small to run with air conditioning though. The WagonR is good as a full-sized vehicle to carry passengers and shopping bags, but if you do want something more fuel efficient, you should take the Maruti A-Star for a test drive. The A-Star is sold internationally as the Suzuki Celerio and comes with a 1.0 litre engine, which works much better than the 800cc of a Maruti 800 if you want to have air conditioning.

Apart from manufacturing small cars, Suzuki also manufactures cross-over / minivans. The Suzuki XL7, which isn't available in India, comes with a 3.6 litre engine and provides a four wheel drive. Fuel economy definitely takes a hit, but it can carry seven passengers and the four wheel drive offers better stability on the highways and when driving through sand.

@Strikee

I always figured the Vauxhall was something you would drive to get away on the weekends and didn't really see it as a car you would drive to work everyday. What kind of reliability problems did you have with it?

@Laila

Mercedes S-340? The closest I've seen was a Mercedes S-350, so I'm guessing it's a region-specific model sold by Mercedes. The number usually indicates the engine capacity, but it is by no means a precise indicator. The Mercedes S-400 is a hybrid, but since none of the cars in the Mercedes S-class have a 4.0 litre engine, I'm assuming that it's a 3.5 litre engine i.e. a Mercedes S-350 with an electric motor. Hybrid cars come in a lot of different varieties so it's hard to tell by just looking up a car listed as a hybrid.

You seem to know a awful lot about cars, are you a engineer or something? or just a car enthusiast?

But I have noticed that hybrid cars are usually small and most are stylish but they all look the same. It's great what they do but I don't want one.. they are too much of a pain to be driving with.

I drive a 1993 Miata (it's actually my third one -- the other two were totaled, none my fault).As for why I chose '93, it's because I like the pop-up headlights it has. I can't stand all the cars with normal headlights; they're too dim and really just don't work very well.

Hi!@deadmad7I'm a software engineer and a car enthusiast. I do know about different models on sale, but I don't get my hands dirty under the hood - I've never had a car have a breakdown except for the battery going dead or a filter getting clogged (totally not my fault - somebody forgot to send it in for a scheduled service).@rpgsearcherzA Mazda Miata is a pretty good car. I don't really know what you mean when you say that the normal headlights are dimmer than the pop-up headlights. Perhaps the cars come fitted with dimmer lights? Different bulbs are rated for different brightness and you can get a fitting to directly hook up the lights with an after-market cut-out for extra-bright lights, but if not done correctly, you could melt the light bulb holders - it's happened and it was not a pretty sight after having lost a headlight on an un-lit highway with oncoming traffic and unmarked turns. BTW, how did you wreck the two other Miatas? Miatas are fuel efficient, but don't expect to match the fuel economy of a Toyota Corolla, which is pretty much the epitome of fuel efficiency among cars with decent engines (1.6-1.8L... anything below 1.6L is underpowered)

Hi!
@deadmad7

I'm a software engineer and a car enthusiast. I do know about different models on sale, but I don't get my hands dirty under the hood - I've never had a car have a breakdown except for the battery going dead or a filter getting clogged (totally not my fault - somebody forgot to send it in for a scheduled service).

@rpgsearcherz

A Mazda Miata is a pretty good car. I don't really know what you mean when you say that the normal headlights are dimmer than the pop-up headlights. Perhaps the cars come fitted with dimmer lights? Different bulbs are rated for different brightness and you can get a fitting to directly hook up the lights with an after-market cut-out for extra-bright lights, but if not done correctly, you could melt the light bulb holders - it's happened and it was not a pretty sight after having lost a headlight on an un-lit highway with oncoming traffic and unmarked turns. BTW, how did you wreck the two other Miatas? Miatas are fuel efficient, but don't expect to match the fuel economy of a Toyota Corolla, which is pretty much the epitome of fuel efficiency among cars with decent engines (1.6-1.8L... anything below 1.6L is underpowered)

The lights on pop up are greater because their bulbs are huge compared to normal lights. It's hard to explain but if you've ever driven a car at night that has pop-up lights (pre-'97 miata, some Corvettes, etc.) there's absolutely no way you would want to drop back to the other inferior ones. Mine light up the entire highway both in front and to the side of the car.

As for the wrecking -- people don't stop at red lights. One person "didn't see" me turning in a turn lane, another person wasn't paying attention at all (he said he was sorry and he was so busy thinking that he never even looked at the road), and another backed into me on the highway (there was a wreck in front of me -- I'm a safe driver so even though the car in front of me because part of the wreck, I wasn't. He demolished the car in front of him so he backed up... On top of my car).

And the fuel efficiency... Hard to really compare. On the highway I get an average of 45-52 MPG with the top down. Residential it's around 38 MPG.

Even against hybrids that's a very good ratio.

DUDE! Your family is LOADED! You must be really, really rich... and seems like everybody in your family has a luxury car.. and who drives the Mercedes? I rarely see one of these here... most luxury cars are from Ferrari and Porsche.

Eh we aren't really loaded. My sister just got a 2006 VW Passat, but it got wrecked a few days ago (not her fault) So we are still looking for cars.

My mom drives the mercedes.

We have three cars but only use two.My mum drives a 1996 Subaru Impreza Auto. I have driven it a few times- easy to park as it has good visibility and generally easy to drive (well it is an auto :)).My dad drives a 2007 Mazda 6 diesel stationwagen Manual. The clutch is very hard to use at times and it has waaaay better acceleration than my mum's. Gearbox is a real pain as it is very easy to get gear positions mixed up and then stall the car.