xisto Community
Ash-Bash

My Biggest And Most Expensive Computer Project

LOL! You predited that I'd reply Ash....yeah, jesus christ, Trap, Ash has the most untidy desktop on in this whole forum. TeamViewer recording can also prove that! :) I was on TeamViewer on Ash's PC when he was on the site buying it...his Dad's credit card will be in debts by the time he's bought it... :o

LOL! You predited that I'd reply Ash....yeah, jesus christ, Trap, Ash has the most untidy desktop on in this whole forum. TeamViewer recording can also prove that! :) I was on TeamViewer on Ash's PC when he was on the site buying it...his Dad's credit card will be in debts by the time he's bought it... :o

I know, I am Psychic (I think thats right O.o). I have been good lately in keeping my desktop down to 93 items :D.

Well here is a tip webishqiptar. Save your money. Instead of upgrading your PC every-time just buy a whole new one like I do. Your waste more money upgrading every time.

you're always dreaming. that's your problem. if you ordered that crap, and i was you're parents, i'd be putting you over my knee right about now and you probably don't even know why....do you. that's a shame

Anwii How can I be dreaming when I have ordered it.

Hi!@mahesh2kYou wouldn't want to get an HD-DVD drive right now because they're pretty much out of the format wars. Get a BlueRay drive and ignore HD-DVD because you will not be seeing much of them in the future. I would have felt awful about having to toss away an HD-DVD drive because they simply stopped making them, but as HD-DVD drives can still be used with regular DVDs and CDs, they can probably be recycled in older PCs.@jlhaslipThat's a nice call on the mouse. Apple's single mouse button mouse could've been cool but with only one button, it doesn't serve the Windows world. It's surprising how the high-end gaming mouse manufacturers go up to 8 buttons, but Apple has been true to it's tradition of having exactly one button on there. If they really wanted simplicity, they could have taken away the mouse and moved to touch screen displays, but I guess it's the Apple tradition that has them still sticking with their single-button mice.@SkyI've heard quite a bit about TeamViewer. How does it compare to LogMeIn.com?@Ash-BashI agree with you on that one. Often when you buy a whole system, the manufacturer passes on the discounts from bulk purchases so you actually end up getting a lower price. Upgrading or building a system does feel exciting though, especially when you get to deal with high-end hardware.BTW, when's your monster rig arriving? Can you post pictures of it with the case opened?I really hope you have a good use (Crysis, perhaps? The SETI guys would kill to have that computational power way back in the early days) for all of that power because if it was idling away all the time, it would be a burden on the environment if you leave it switched on all the time the way I leave my PCs running twenty-four-seven (all day!). I got rid of all of the desktops that I've had in the household and all I have right now are notebook PCs due to the need to minimize energy consumption. The smaller carbon footprint is easier on the environment, both in terms of energy used for processing and the savings on air conditioning during the summer due to the minimal heat generation. I sometimes also wonder if it is worth running old hardware because the efficiency is really low.I've got an old Compaq Presario 2132 that runs on Intel's Pentium IV processor and has a minimal 512 megabytes of memory. I use it to provide network connectivity for a black-and-white laser printer (that way, I can have a notebook PC running on the wireless network and can print without having to hook up the cables) while also providing a network file storage. I occasionally connect to it from over the Internet to start a download, such as for getting OpenOffice. It runs Ubuntu Linux 9.10 so security is not as much of a hassle - the separation of user account data from the shared and system files helps for the most part. The stability enables me to run the system all-day without requiring a reboot for more than a few months at a stretch. It sits on a desk next to the printer and so I can't take it around.I have an IBM-Lenovo Thinkpad T60 that runs throughout the day and I use it for checking my email. It is hooked up to the wired LAN and sits on my table top - the wired LAN helps ensure that it remains connected even when the wireless malfunctions, which has been happening more often than not for me lately (it must be time for me to invest in a new wireless ADSL modem-router or at least get an additional wireless access point to hook up to my existing wireless ADSL modem-router). The IBM-Lenovo Thinkpas has an Intel Core processor at its heart, and has 3 gigabytes of memory. It doesn't really do much software or web development but has a basic PHP editor and Notepad++ for the occasional bit of work I have to do along with FileZilla, which I can use to quickly transfer files across. You might have guessed that I run Windows on this notebook. It is Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3, to be more precise. I have pretty much all of the major browsers on here for diagnosing browser incompatibilities, which I occasionally do from here - there's Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, Mozilla Firefox 3.5, Opera 10, and Google Chrome 3.Both the Compaq Presario 2132 and the IBM-Lenovo Thinkpad T60 run all day and use minimal electricity as they have mobile processors and components built for energy efficiency. I suppose a lot of people out there have retired their old laptops and can run them as web servers, printer servers, or file servers. I did feel guilty about running notebooks as though they were netbook PCs powered by the energy-efficient Intel Atom processors but after reading about your rig, I can't really sense the guilt any more. I might get a super-efficient multi-core ARM-powered netbook as soon as they're available though. They may run only Linux at this point but I don't intend to run games on a netbook.

That's the best reply I have ever seen you do Nittin.

BTW, when's your monster rig arriving? Can you post pictures of it with the case opened?

I did fast Fedex postage should be here this or next week. I will do loads of pictures with my new Camera!

I really hope you have a good use (Crysis, perhaps? The SETI guys would kill to have that computational power way back in the early days) for all of that power because if it was idling away all the time, it would be a burden on the environment if you leave it switched on all the time the way I leave my PCs running twenty-four-seven (all day!). I got rid of all of the desktops that I've had in the household and all I have right now are notebook PCs due to the need to minimize energy consumption. The smaller carbon footprint is easier on the environment, both in terms of energy used for processing and the savings on air conditioning during the summer due to the minimal heat generation. I sometimes also wonder if it is worth running old hardware because the efficiency is really low.

Trust me I am a heavy gamer I will need all that power. I also leave my PC on after a few years you start to realise it is damaging it :) I will not be doing it with this.
That's the best reply I have ever seen you do Nittin.

BTW, when's your monster rig arriving? Can you post pictures of it with the case opened?

I did fast Fedex postage should be here this or next week. I will do loads of pictures with my new Camera!

I really hope you have a good use (Crysis, perhaps? The SETI guys would kill to have that computational power way back in the early days) for all of that power because if it was idling away all the time, it would be a burden on the environment if you leave it switched on all the time the way I leave my PCs running twenty-four-seven (all day!). I got rid of all of the desktops that I've had in the household and all I have right now are notebook PCs due to the need to minimize energy consumption. The smaller carbon footprint is easier on the environment, both in terms of energy used for processing and the savings on air conditioning during the summer due to the minimal heat generation. I sometimes also wonder if it is worth running old hardware because the efficiency is really low.

Trust me I am a heavy gamer I will need all that power. I also leave my PC on after a few years you start to realise it is damaging it :o I will not be doing it with this.

Yup sucks right? I have ordered some from Overclockers UK 12GB! The only reason I didn't get it from the start was because it was a Rip off from that place :/.

ahaahhhahahha to me 1GB ram is alot! I only have 500MB of ram! :):D

you're always dreaming. that's your problem. if you ordered that crap, and i was you're parents, i'd be putting you over my knee right about now and you probably don't even know why....do you. that's a shame

ROFLAMO I actually ROFL'd at that

Ash... does ur parents know that your ordering all of this?....

oh and.... ASH CAN YOU BUY ME MORE RAM?! :o:D
Edited by Soviet Rathe (see edit history)

Woah that's a massive amount there...Do you actually need that much RAM? 4 GB should be enough for Win7. I use vista on 4 GB and everything i fast enough. even with games/photoshop running simultaneously. :) Nice choice of monitors. I love the sleek look that Apple never fails to give.Hope your project goes well!

All this talk about parents makes me wonder if Ash-Bash actually paid for this stuff or if he's being wicked spoiled.

In my opinion, "heavy gaming" is a bad farce but decent excuse to purchase so much computing power. I'm a cheap bum myself so I've lived with lower-end machines for a majority of my geek life, never having experienced a dual core until my wife's Dell Inspiron 1501, and even after finally splurging and upgrading to my Asus G50VT-X5 with a 2.13GHz dual core and 4GB of RAM (from the 2GB I've been used to), it's nice to have better speeds, but if a quad core upgrade for me will be like going from single to dual core, I don't even want to think about getting a computer with a quad core and 8GB of RAM for HALF of what Ash-Bash (or his parents) paid for this rig. Aside from bragging rights (which I don't care about), a slight speed increase (seconds to a couple of minutes... talking about real-time, general tasking), multimedia/CAD processing power (where it actually does count for an upgrade), and increased frame rates in games (again, where it counts for an upgrade), I actually do frown upon such exorbitant purchases, but hey, it's not my money... only my two cents.

If you compared my laptop with Ash-Bash's rig here with a game of Fallout 3 (since he is a "heavy gamer") at the highest graphical and processor settings, you would not be able to discern a difference in performance. On benchmarks, he might get a massive increase in frame rates (something like 60FPS vs. 120FPS), but would you honestly be able to see the real-time difference? If you could, is it enough of a difference where you would even care? Note that I have a laptop and this is a desktop rig, and that I have an NVIDIA 9800GS with 512MB of VRAM vs. 2 x ATI Radeon 4890 with 1GB VRAM.

It's a different story with Crysis though... I have smooth, fluid gameplay with "medium high" settings at my native resolution (1366x768), but I'm sure that Ash-Bash's rig can handle the highest settings. However, I'm mostly limited with the capabilities of my graphics card, and I know this because the folks at Tom's Hardware have proven that games don't utilize 8GB of RAM... or even 4GB, really. (How do you think your games run smoothly WITH Windows processes as well as background tasks and programs you already have running in tandem?) If I were to have a desktop, I could just easily upgrade my video card, but that would seem rather trifle for me to upgrade an already-capable graphics card that I can play most games with, and downright stupid to put money towards such a slight upgrade. (Again, I am a cheap bum so my perspective is rather biased and skewed towards saving money... something that most people can agree with.)

For those of you wishing for "dream rigs," try to keep in mind that you are most better off taking the hand-me-downs and if you have the cash, to upgrade to the second-newest thing out there when it comes to technology to get the most bang from your buck. Of course, this is all relevant to what you will be using your computer for and the type of user you are. I consider myself a quasi-power user and occasional gamer, so I like having decent speed and being able to play games, which works out since I aim for good specifications when it comes to picking out a new machine. I also keep in mind the power consumption of the rig, which is why I deal with laptops and not desktops. (I'm willing to sacrifice customization ability and a slight increase in price for power savings and portability.) If you read my previous thread about laptops vs. desktops from back in the day, I pointed out with theoretical math that the cost of ownership with a laptop compared to a desktop balances out within the third to fourth year of ownership, since you pay more for power consumption with a desktop.

Of course, all of this is irrelevant if you have parents that are able and willing to spoil you, if you don't have to worry about ye 'ole electricity bill, if you have the money and don't care about burning it away (which will bite you back in the future... trust me), or if you're stoic in the ways of just getting what you want, no matter what the cost.

Now, on to OP's rig. :P

As much as I just seemingly-bashed the crap out of your choice to buy such a power rig, I'm not going to be more or less partial to what you built it with, which is what really matters. Does your motherboard support USB 3.0? I believe it doesn't... which I'm surprised that you're not considering the Asus P7P55D-E Premium which does have USB 3.0 support (as well as the new SATA 6Gbps standard) if you're also aiming to future-proof yourself as much as possible. I know I can't afford to snag the latest and greatest every year, and maybe you can, but to save you some money I would suggest that if you're going to splurge on your hardware now, protect yourself with the newest standards so that you can utilize them years down the road. There might not be many USB 3.0 devices out yet, but remember that it's all backwards-compatible.

I find it funny that there's so much stuff in this rig, yet you settle with a DVD burner. Bravo. :D No gripes there, really... I still think that BluRay is too much of a trend to go out and buy movies now in that format, but maybe you could benefit from a BR player or burner. Personal preference, of course.

I know you (or your parents) can probably afford it, but you might want to rethink your choices on the keyboard and mouse, not because I think that Apple is overpriced, but because I think you are setting yourself up for failure because they are not exactly very ergonomically-friendly. You say you're a heavy gamer, yet you pick out two peripherals that are going to kill your wrists. Instead of going for elitist Apple products because they have Steve Jobs's aura on them, go for something that will work for you. I see that Logitech and Microsoft have keyboards that are conformed to the natural placement of a user's hand (notable the Logitech Wave), and a mouse would be something purely of your preference and how YOU use a mouse. (I have small hands so I feel at home with a Logitech MX3200 mouse, and it has a ton of extra features that you could hotkey to gaming purposes.) Also, as a gamer, I'm sure you eat at the keyboard, so maybe the Logitech MX3200 keyboard and mouse combo would be good for you, since it utilizes Agion, an anti-microbial treatment to prohibit the growth of... well, nastiness. :P

It might not be too late to send things back if you decide to heed my advice or the advice of anyone else here. Otherwise, enjoy the crap out of that machine... you're going to have to put a lot of time and abuse into that thing to justify that price tag. :D

Well look to solve all these price problem both my parents are Lawyers. Yes they are rich I don't like to boast about it or anything as it does not matter to me.

Well, guys, I think you should believe him. His parents do have a lot of money. Ash uses his Dads debit card to purchase things online. He has bought 5 computers already and re-sold them. :P

Right please lets get off the money talk. Anyway, They have contacted me saying the most of the parts are out of stock and therefore wont get it for 1-2 weeks. I also purchased a fast postage on this that will no longer count. They have given me 20% off for the delay :P

Edited by Ash-Bash (see edit history)

Wow... are you planning to build a computer??? Good luck!!! I'm not sure about this, but maybe anwii's right. About you dreaming, but if you perservere, then I believe that it is possible!!! It's wierd how anwii sees things though. I said: I want to create a website, but I am giving up! And anwii goes: Persevere, you lazy bum! You will get there one day! And you go: I'm building a computer! And anwii goes: You must be dreaming!!! :DHaha, I love anwii sometimes. :P He may go on rants, but they're worth reading. :P good luck anyway, and all the best to you!!! :D

Wow... are you planning to build a computer??? Good luck!!! I'm not sure about this, but maybe anwii's right. About you dreaming, but if you perservere, then I believe that it is possible!!! It's wierd how anwii sees things though. I said: I want to create a website, but I am giving up! And anwii goes: Persevere, you lazy bum! You will get there one day! And you go: I'm building a computer! And anwii goes: You must be dreaming!!! :P
Haha, I love anwii sometimes. :P He may go on rants, but they're worth reading. :D good luck anyway, and all the best to you!!! :D

No I customize it online and a company builds it for me. I can't be asked to mess around with that anymore. I will only do that for a friend and if I get apid :D. I don't really care what Anwii says, as its impossible for me to be dreaming when I have ordered it and had a confirmation order via email... Maybe he needs to grow up and stop being jealous?
Thanks for the reply Nameless :D.