xisto Community
Ash-Bash

My Biggest And Most Expensive Computer Project

Ash-Bash... it's not necessarily about being jealous, it's about the principal of building a machine out of the most expensive, bleeding-edge components that money can buy and that you seem to be having your parents pay every penny of it. You're not even building it yourself! (I actually thought you were going to, but not like it matters, since you seem to have an idea of how to put one together anyway.) That's what disgusts a lot of people... even me, but I have a bias against bleeding-edge things and see it as a waste of money because technology becomes obsolete so quickly. That's why I made that comparison between your dream rig here and my much-cheaper-in-comparison laptop... because Joe Schmoe that saves his money from his minimum-wage job wouldn't even bother and either settle for a mainstream rig that he bought with his own money, earned with his own work and not mooching off of others. My comparison shows that Ray waited over a few years to save up to purchase a refurbished laptop for $650 that runs the same games that you're aiming to play, and it runs them well. The biggest factor is that I spent $650, and you're spending ?3240.54, which is the rough equivalent of $5284 USD. That's over EIGHT times the amount you spent over me... and I can play Crysis and Fallout 3 just fine with high settings. (Mind you, not max... high.) Enthusiasts will probably be able to justify the money they put into their systems that become obsolete in less than half a year's time, but most of us are normal people that don't have the luxury of being able to get whatever they want.

If I'm way-off base here and you do spend your own cash, disregard, but if you really are buying all this stuff thanks to mommy and daddy, it's rather disgusting, in my opinion. The one thing I can cred you with, though, is that you don't boast about the fact that your parents are rich. (However, throwing out system specs like that is an inadvertent way of doing it.)

Anyway, if you do decide to stick with this configuration, please give out some FRAPS benchmarks. I'll be very interested to take a look at what I missed out on by saving over $4600. :P

Did you take another look into keyboards and mice, by the way? I was serious about the ergonomics. Believe me when I say that you'll pay for it later... I'm only 24 and my wrists have slight spasms from time to time thanks to crappy keyboards.

Also, make sure to hit up the Advanced Settings for Power Options in Windows 7. There's a ton of cool tweaks you can do to save power (and elongate the life of your hardware). Do it up first and foremost lest you forget about it. I'm not a tree hugger, but I am a lover of saving on my electricity bill and on being able to enjoy my computer as long as I can before something goes kaput...

Another nice comment, Thanks.I admit I do like to spend a lot of money, I may not be so great at saving money either. I hate to boast about being Rich, Having lots of money etc it makes me feel bad and slowly others start to hate you. I will be benchmarking, photos and maybe a video.The keyboard and mouse I have changed I watched reviews on Youtube and most of them don't like them please look in the main topic to what I have chosen. The only thing I bought from Apple now is the 2 monitors. I will be sure to also do videos in game and windows 7 tweaks although I doubt it would take any effect with this monster :P.I know this is a double post but people wanted to know when I have got this, I do now have this PC and other PC I got from them at half price. Both are extremely fast. I will be doing pictures very soon. Once I find my New Camera and I tidy up my desk :P