xisto Community
Soviet Rathe

Macbook Or Laptop?

Ok so I just got z-listed on Lockerz and there's 2 things i'm interested in gettingMacBook Pro 13-inch AluminumandDell Inspiron Mini 10-inchThe Dell I can get in just 2 months but the macbook looks better... but I have only heard bad things about Macs like most windows programs won't run on them etc.. so what's your opinion? is Mac better or worse then Windows? and can a windows OS be installed on Mac? :S

You can install Windows on a Mac using software like Parallels OS and it will be legal, but you can't legally install Mac on Windows :o And it all depends on the kind of work you're going to perform on your computer- if you prefer gaming a lot then use Windows and if you have a lot of professional work to do, go for a Mac.

But either way, on lockerz, you're going to have one heck of a competition for these prizes :) Anyway I wish you all the best for it.

You can install Windows on a Mac using software like Parallels OS and it will be legal, but you can't legally install Mac on Windows :o And it all depends on the kind of work you're going to perform on your computer- if you prefer gaming a lot then use Windows and if you have a lot of professional work to do, go for a Mac.

But either way, on lockerz, you're going to have one heck of a competition for these prizes :) Anyway I wish you all the best for it.

Yah I looked it up and I see people have installed Windows on the MacBook and it worked fine, I'll be doing some gaming but most of it will be website design and whatnot (that is if it comes with a modem) :S

I am pretty sure that all Mac's come with a wireless system. And I also believe that the newer ones, like what you are looking at include the Intel chiposet, so you can install Windows on it. Boot to Windows for gaming and into OSX for the design work.I am pretty sure that all Mac's come with a wireless system. And I also believe that the newer ones, like what you are looking at include the Intel chipset, so you can install Windows on it. Boot to Windows for gaming and into OSX for the design work.

Um...people keep talking about doing design work on the Mac, but I haven't heard of any famous designing tools for the Mac - does it have ported versions of Adobe tools or is there any special software available for it?

@The SimpletonHi!Most of the Adobe tools target the Mac too. Ask a Mac designer who will tell you how much he/she is in love with Adobe Photoshop and its performance on the Mac. Windows is pretty stable now, but way back in the late 90s, if you had to do some serious graphics editing, you had to get a Mac - editing high resolution images on Windows would simply cause Photoshop to crash. The Mac, however, would appear to hang but only because it was really performing the processing that you've requested.Windows has evolved since then and a lot of web designers now use PCs running Windows to do their web design and graphics editing. However, the Mac continues to attract graphics and web designers.With the issues currently surrounding Windows Vista and Windows 7, you're better off getting a MacBook instead of a PC running Windows.

@The Simpleton
Hi!

Most of the Adobe tools target the Mac too. Ask a Mac designer who will tell you how much he/she is in love with Adobe Photoshop and its performance on the Mac. Windows is pretty stable now, but way back in the late 90s, if you had to do some serious graphics editing, you had to get a Mac - editing high resolution images on Windows would simply cause Photoshop to crash. The Mac, however, would appear to hang but only because it was really performing the processing that you've requested.

Windows has evolved since then and a lot of web designers now use PCs running Windows to do their web design and graphics editing. However, the Mac continues to attract graphics and web designers.

With the issues currently surrounding Windows Vista and Windows 7, you're better off getting a MacBook instead of a PC running Windows.

Wow that's interesting - I knew there had to be a reason why I only saw Macs in many offices! So Windows' weakness was apparent from the 90's itself? :)

@Soviet Rathe: If you were to ask me, I'd say go for the Dell Laptop because you can get it sooner - Lockerz is such a dubious place that no one can tell how long it'll last or what surprises it may produce in the coming days. So as soon as you get a chance to redeem your PTZ, better go for the Dell and if you have the patience and luck you could try for the MacBook next time :o

I would rather be my laptop but they look much praise and macbook

But now came the first virus for macbook

The First Mac OS X Virus? (A New OS X Trojan) [updated]

On the evening of the 13th, an unknown user posted an external link to a file on MacRumors Forums claiming to be the latest Leopard Mac OS X 10.5 screenshots. The file was named "latestpics.tgz"

The resultant file decompresses into what appears to be a standard JPEG icon in Mac OS X but is actually a compiled Unix executable in disguise. An initial disassembly (from original discussion thread) reveals evidence that the application is virus-like or was designed to give that impression. Routines listed include:

_infect:

_infectApps:

_installHooks:

_copySelf:

The exact consequences of the application are unclear, but users who originally executed the application have noted that it appeared to self propogate:If anyone remembers last night, when lasthope spread that picture that opened in terminal. I just turned on my other computer and it said it had an incoming file, from my computer, which was the latest pics file. Any help. I have already secure deleted it off of my harddrive, but how do i know that it will not come back.

Andrew Welch, who had done some of the initial disassembly, is posting updates to this thread.

According to the initial investigation, the application uses Spotlight to find the other applications on the infected machine and subsequently inserts a stub of code into each application executable.

Update: It appears that there is some debate about the classification of this application, and as it does require user activation it appears to fall into the Trojan classification, rather than self-propogating through any particular vulnerability in OS X.

Update #2: The most recent updates show that the file does send itself to other users in your AIM/iChat buddy list.

Update #3:

Andrew Welch posted the final technical analysis of the application with assistance from Ed Wynne and Glenn Anderson.

Symantec has posted a step by step guide on what happens when you launch this application.

@TheSimpletonHi!Way back in the 90s, I also remember having both Mac and Windows versions of popular computer games. The Prince of Persia manual came with instructions for both Mac and Windows versions. I think Monkey Island only targeted Windows users though. However, getting a notebook PC isn't all that bad - you could install Ubuntu on it and perhaps have a dual boot with Windows - but if given a choice, the Macs are definitely higher on the wishlist.@index.htmlFirst, I'd like to say that you've got a nice username! I envy you for having thought of "index.html" before me, but I guess there's still "Default.htm" :-)Although there are some viruses that do exist on Linux and MacOS, the risk is fairly negligible compared to on Windows. I would think this has a lot to do with the fact that Windows users have read-write access to the Windows directory and read-write access to the Program Files directory while Linux and MacOS X users, assuming that they do follow generally accepted conventions and practices, do not have only read access to the Linux operating system files and read access to the program files that are installed for all users. They do, however, have read-write access to software that they install for themselves but this shouldn't affect other user accounts on the system so the threat is contained.There are flaws in the Linux and MacOS X operating system themselves, which could be exploited, but they aren't the threats that one would face everyday.

I doubt that lockerz will remain free or points based till you reach that points amount. I'm damn sure that lockerz will be offer based site soon. It's just that they're going to reap it soon. I think lockerz will be similar to cashle.com site. But not sure how it will be like that in future. Anyway, i'll vote for macbook as it's rare item. You can get dell mini anyway but macbook and that too from such free offer(legitimate). Then i think it's rare. Go for macbook.

Since right now Lockerz is having it's redemption, by the time they have their next redemption I'll have enough for the macbook :)the main reason I was drawn away from Macs is they don't run Windows programs... (Or am I thinking of linux?) o_O

the main reason I was drawn away from Macs is they don't run Windows programs... (Or am I thinking of linux?) o_O

Which windows programs you want to run on mac ? You can run whole windows operating system inside mac using paralles or vmware fusion. Besides that most of the softwares like adobe & some other software brands do have products for mac. Games are also supported for both mac and windows at the same time. So which program you think are not supported on mac ? Let me know these programs, i'll see if i can get up alternative or some way to use them on macintosh.

@Soviet RatheI know what you mean when you say that you weren't able to run your Windows programs on Mac OS X. I had the same feeling when I switched from Windows XP to Windows Vista! I made the switch back to Windows XP and decided to stay put. Windows 7 didn't change much either - it still cannot run software built for Windows XP. The Windows XP Virtualization will not work on Sony Vaio laptops due to the disabled hardware virtualization.You don't really have to be concerned about not being able to run your existing software what you get a computer with a different operating system. Irrespective of whether you get Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X, or Ubuntu, you will not be able to run all of your existing software so you might as well pick another platform that can provide alternatives or is better in some other way.

Ok so I just got z-listed on Lockerz and there's 2 things i'm interested in getting
MacBook Pro 13-inch Aluminum
and
Dell Inspiron Mini 10-inch

The Dell I can get in just 2 months but the macbook looks better... but I have only heard bad things about Macs like most windows programs won't run on them etc.. so what's your opinion? is Mac better or worse then Windows? and can a windows OS be installed on Mac? :S

I have not had a Dell Inspiron Mini though I will still go with the MacBook, I have had and still have a MacBook pro these pieces of machinery are fantastic, The screens are great (even when you have a small screen) I have found them to be great for travel & As you said they do look great.

It is sometimes hard to get Windows Programs running on Mac OSX Leopard (Or whatever OS you have) a bit like Linux Ubuntu. I have installed Windows 7 on mine and it runs fantastic and still looks as good, This then answers your question if you can install a Windows OS on a mac.

Please I really do recommend getting a Mac book pro, May cost more but a whole lot better.