xisto Community
Ash-Bash

Prune Inactive Members

Hello,This forum has now become very slow to what it was. I am guessing this is because of the huge database.Well why can't we prune inactive members and get them deleted.I have see sites much bigger with a lot more members are super fast. Do you think you can improve this speed as it is getting really annoying to post and navigate around on these forums.

Not a good idea at all. What if old members want to return and take benefits of Mycents system ? There were plenty of members who contributed for TP17 earlier. We've no idea when they'll return. If their accounts are deleted then all their posts and threads will be deleted as well. Besides their opinion is copyrighted to them, one can't just delete their account and keep their content. This is harsh and cheating. If this is applied such policy then people will not turn to Xisto and Xisto instead they'll move away from it. Try such active member policy on any forum and see how much content is generated for forums, and how much traffic could be driven. You'll see the results if you try it on any test forum. Besides it takes lot of pain to bring members, even if free-hosting forums go through hard time to get quality members. Just imagine if some of from us, get enough mycent and added it to Xisto - Support billing area for funds and it's fund for 2 years. So they'll remain inactive for 1-year or so. Do we've to delete them ? If so, trust me people will move from Xisto instead of following such harsh deletion policy. I can understand database is huge and turning Xisto into slow bird. But what can be done in that case ? Some of my suggestions in this case. There are plenty of SPAM threads here as well as SPAMmers account. MODS and admins need to delete them instead of inactive members. I can understand this is pain for moderators and admin but it's better to speed things up by deleting duplicate threads and SPAM threads and spammer accounts than removing old inactive members.

This forum has now become very slow to what it was. I am guessing this is because of the huge database.Well why can't we prune inactive members and get them deleted.
I have see sites much bigger with a lot more members are super fast.
Do you think you can improve this speed as it is getting really annoying to post and navigate around on these forums.

I don't really notice a speed issue, so it may depend on the speed of your internet connection etc. If there is a bottleneck anywhere with the database, I think it would more likely be with the posts rather than the members (there are far more posts to search through when pulling them out of the database). Removing posts has numerous problems. Firstly, I think it would play havoc with the myCENTs system if old posts were removed, as members would be plunged into negative myCENTs for no good reason. Also, a lot of traffic is bought to Xisto from search engines, and the older posts and topics are good at bringing people in, increasing the size of Xisto and making the whole place better.

I can understand database is huge and turning Xisto into slow bird. But what can be done in that case ? Some of my suggestions in this case. There are plenty of SPAM threads here as well as SPAMmers account. MODS and admins need to delete them instead of inactive members. I can understand this is pain for moderators and admin but it's better to speed things up by deleting duplicate threads and SPAM threads and spammer accounts than removing old inactive members.

We get rid of spam threads and posts as soon as we see them. If you see ones we haven't spotted then use the Report button to let us know. Moderators can't remove accounts (and I don't think the admins like to either), only ban them. Banning spammers stops them posting, but doesn't speed up the database - their accounts are still in there.

This forum has now become very slow to what it was.

The forums are very responsive for me right now and have been satisfyingly responsive for me for a while.

Well why can't we prune inactive members and get them deleted.I have see sites much bigger with a lot more members are super fast.
Do you think you can improve this speed as it is getting really annoying to post and navigate around on these forums.

mahesh2k has already mentioned some of the consequences i would have mentioned. But if other sites using the same software and having more members are not having a problem, then we should be able to conclude that it is unrelated to the database.

forums works fast for me, pruning the forum DB is quite a bad idea as content attracts people to this forum, usually the best method is to archive old pages which as I understand is done automatically to save bandwidth/traffic of this forum.The forum might be working slower for you because of internet connection you have, or me it responds in seconds or sometimes even faster.

The forum might be working slower for you because of internet connection you have, or me it responds in seconds or sometimes even faster.

My internet connection? Mate I probably have one if not the fastest internet speeds on the forums. It is not my internet connection. I know the forums are not super slow though for IPB 2.3.6 it is slow. They should prune the inactive members or cut down on CPU Usage.

If members DO get pruned (which I don't think is a bad idea) prune members that are >3 years old on here that have 0 posts. Most likely if those people were to come back, they would forget their password anyway, so they would make a new account.As a speed issue, I'm not noticing any difference in speed.

My internet connection? Mate I probably have one if not the fastest internet speeds on the forums. It is not my internet connection. I know the forums are not super slow though for IPB 2.3.6 it is slow. They should prune the inactive members or cut down on CPU Usage.

So why do you have such problems while for me it loads in seconds? do a trace route, maybe you have some firewall, proxy, something with DNS that it's not so responsive.

I would really hate to comeback after 3 years and see that I've been pruned or suspended even though I have enough myCents for my site to function..

I read it, I replied to Ash-bash about the idea of pruning members.I doubt the forums will get any faster if you prune members with 0 posts that are >3 years old, as SQL queries are optimized and are using indexes and I think IPB has even more optimizations.. So CPU usage won't change, but it's just my opinion, it might get a bit faster where you won't even notice it.Better optimization would be to lower requests to the server, if it's really high on CPU usage and etc. but for me it loads quite normally, maybe all your firefox addons, super ad blocks and super firewalls anti virus securities make your browsing slower.I usually noticed that I browse much faster on Linux than on Vista, especially on localhost.

Fastest internet connection and finding Xisto with slow performance ? I'm using Xisto with 3 different connections 128kbps, 512kbps and 2mbps line. And i didn't noticed any change in performance. Even 128kbps loads TP17 without any trouble, even with some download in the background it loads just fine. I want to ask you about this pruning members idea. Will you apply such method to your forum if it has commercial benefit cause of member content/accounts ?

And What makes you so sure that pruning members will speed up forums ? Also what makes you conclude that there is over-usage of CPU and needs to cut it out ? Any technical explanation that made you conclude this ?.

Well, all sites apart from this one load super fast like as soon as I click they are up no white screen in waiting or anything. This one takes like 3-5 seconds to load... Still we should prune the inactive 3 year old members like someone said.

Well, all sites apart from this one load super fast like as soon as I click they are up no white screen in waiting or anything. This one takes like 3-5 seconds to load... Still we should prune the inactive 3 year old members like someone said.

When I thought about it, I thought it was a good idea but not now.
The forum just needs some cleaning, Well I wont go in to to much :lol:

Everytime I logon to Xisto I always forget to read this! :P