xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nameless_

Can You Link Two Or More Free Domain Providers To The Same Site? Just wondering... itd be so cool if you can.

If I was to look for Psychic Phonomena.. It would really depend on exactly what it is I was looking for. Are we talking about like ghosts/"other world experiences" or is it different?
I prefer to, instead of going just based on one keyword or two on searches to lock down many. I base mine on the various sections of the site rather than the site itself (or the site's name).

I am specifically talking about psychic powers directly related to ones mind. I am interested in the potential of our human brain power, and someone has coined this "psionics", though not many people know this term. So I might be using "psychic" in my domain name instead, though the competition will be higher and more hard to reach to the front page, I will (hopefully) get more traffic writing on "psionics" instead.

Also, my blog will also have things on psychology and philosophy, because I'm interested in that as well... so I can put that in the off topic section, or I can also link that to my in-topic site.

Also will your site be a full website, or a discussion forum or chat. As much info as possible, though what you gave is helpful.
YouTube isn't as effective as one might think. I had a video on there that had nearly 50,000 hits, and only got 3-5 hits from it per day. My current videos (about 50 now, and they average 100-500 views) barely give me any traffic.

My site will be a blog... which MIGHT include a forum once the activity gets up, though I don't see that in the near future anytime soon at all. Um... It will have a "psionics" section, which is purely on the mind powers, how to development and information on them, it will have a "psychic" section, on the use of tools like Tarot Cards ( I don't believe in Crystals), thought it won't be a huge section of the site,

It WILL have things to do with the Paranormal, which includes Ghosts and Spirits and "haunted" places like the Bermuda Triangle, and it will have a Off-Topic Section, which isn't exactly off topic (or maybe), but it will include book reviews on psychic phenomena, my personal experiences and / or osychic diary, other psychic links and all that, and random computer stuff or the usual what-not.

And lots of subtle ads, like affliate book selling ads and stuff, google ads that blend in and all that... I need to keep up my hosting when it gets over the limit of diskspace and bandwidth.

Um... for Youtube... and least it's better than nothing... :lol:
And sidebar for ads, and maybe a feedback form so I know what to change and all that stuff.

Please brainstorm some names for me!!! :P:( :(

paran0rmalminds.com is available. (So that automated bots can't grab the domain before you, a "0" has been substituted for an "o") Maybe you could use that. It looks like your site will be very extensive. Have you looked at content management systems? It will make your life much easier when you are creating your site.I wouldn't worry much about the bandwidth and space. I am running 2 forums, 1 blog, 1 CMS and 1 test forum. I have only used -600MB of space (I could easily cut this down to 300MB, but I haven't had time to delete files) and average monthly bandwidth is around 2GB. My site has an Alexa rank in the 400,000's and has ~70 unique visitors per day. Of course if you run a graphics-heavy site, your usage will be much higher, but I wouldn't worry much about bandwidth or space. And even if you start to run low on resources, you can upgrade 5x BW and 5x space for $1.98 a month.

Maybe something along the lines of psychicdevelopment.com? I'm too lazy to go try out different domains in an "availability checker" right now but I wanted to add that I'm quite interested in seeing how your site goes along. When you get it off the ground (even if it is in Alpha/Beta stage) I would definitely be interested in checking it out to see what you have come up with (more or less information wise).Just make sure you leave Area 51 out of it. Area 51 has nothing to do with aliens. It is named that because military naming sections land off by "areas." The fact that area is "Area 51" is solely because it is between areas 50 and 52. Along with this, it is a "secret base" but it's for testing new military planes, :lol:.

paran0rmalminds.com is available. (So that automated bots can't grab the domain before you, a "0" has been substituted for an "o") Maybe you could use that.
It looks like your site will be very extensive. Have you looked at content management systems? It will make your life much easier when you are creating your site.

I wouldn't worry much about the bandwidth and space. I am running 2 forums, 1 blog, 1 CMS and 1 test forum. I have only used -600MB of space (I could easily cut this down to 300MB, but I haven't had time to delete files) and average monthly bandwidth is around 2GB. My site has an Alexa rank in the 400,000's and has ~70 unique visitors per day. Of course if you run a graphics-heavy site, your usage will be much higher, but I wouldn't worry much about bandwidth or space. And even if you start to run low on resources, you can upgrade 5x BW and 5x space for $1.98 a month.

Nice one... :lol: A bit too long, perhaps?

I would like to see your sites though... looks really cool. Are they all hosted by Xisto? How do you keep up with all that posting???
Really cool though...

And oh... I never knew that automated bots can steal your domain names... :P Lucky I didn't type anything up yet, apart from the newstack thing, but that doesn't really matter since it's not very important right now at the moment.

The following sites I have on Xisto
disturbedmb.com (disturbedmb.com fansite)
atrhq.com
elochai productions

Not all are really active. The fansite I have to update maybe once a week at the most. My project site (elochai productions) gets updated maximum once a month. The two forums aren't that hard to keep up with. One gets about 2 posts a day, the other gets about 100 posts a day.

All are hosted by Xisto, and paid for with MyCENTs.

Seeing as this site is quite popular, domain snatchers might find it if it were to be posted here.

The following sites I have on Xisto

disturbedmb.com (disturbedmb.com fansite)

atrhq.com

elochai productions

Not all are really active. The fansite I have to update maybe once a week at the most. My project site (elochai productions) gets updated maximum once a month. The two forums aren't that hard to keep up with. One gets about 2 posts a day, the other gets about 100 posts a day.

All are hosted by Xisto, and paid for with MyCENTs.

Seeing as this site is quite popular, domain snatchers might find it if it were to be posted here.

Wow... your sites are like... so cool... :lol: I thought forums take up a lot of space? SO you'll have to earn around $50 to keep them up, not to mention the domain names and the elochai productions....

I like it so much though... and I like you idea of the elochai productions... :P It's very cool.

Yeah... :( And the forums ARE active.... incredible. I've seen forums trying hard to be active and nothing works....

I have earned $51.29 to keep the sites running, and just renewed the domain yesterday.I wrote a tutorial here to show how to get an active forum. It doesn't take that much time or effort as long as you know how to get traffic. I spent quite a while trying to get traffic one way, and in a matter of days I quadrupled my traffic by changing my method.Thanks for the positive comments.

Edited by TheDisturbedOne (see edit history)

I have earned $51.29 to keep the sites running, and just renewed the domain yesterday.I wrote a tutorial here to show how to get an active forum. It doesn't take that much time or effort as long as you know how to get traffic. I spent quite a while trying to get traffic one way, and in a matter of days I quadrupled my traffic by changing my method.
Thanks for the positive comments.

You've tutorial on forum activity on t17 ? I would like to read it, if it is here. Also i want to know how you fetched more forum members. I'm very low on members on one of my technology forum. I would like to increase member count. The trouble is when i used alternate theme for my forum some of the MODS on SMF stopped working and as i've no idea of working with customizing mods. It was pain for me to edit theme from start. So i reverted back to default theme, modified for my site.

Anyway, i would like to know how to get more members for forums. If you can help in this area.

I have earned $51.29 to keep the sites running, and just renewed the domain yesterday.
I wrote a tutorial here to show how to get an active forum. It doesn't take that much time or effort as long as you know how to get traffic. I spent quite a while trying to get traffic one way, and in a matter of days I quadrupled my traffic by changing my method.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Hmm??? Cool... Yeah well, I am thinking of changing hosts when my site (which isn't up yet) earns enough to get transferred to a cheap paid hosting site... :lol::P:(

But yeah...

You've tutorial on forum activity on t17 ? I would like to read it, if it is here. Also i want to know how you fetched more forum members. I'm very low on members on one of my technology forum. I would like to increase member count. The trouble is when i used alternate theme for my forum some of the MODS on SMF stopped working and as i've no idea of working with customizing mods. It was pain for me to edit theme from start. So i reverted back to default theme, modified for my site.
Anyway, i would like to know how to get more members for forums. If you can help in this area.

Wow... mahesh2k asking for help for the first time ever? I'm surprised... though I would like to see that too... :( I like forums and you never know... I might actually need it one day... :( :( :(

Wow... mahesh2k asking for help for the first time ever? I'm surprised... though I would like to see that too... smile.gif I like forums and you never know... I might actually need it one day...

Lol. I do ask questions. But it depends on places. Sometimes questions here on t17 go unanswered. So you gotta know where to ask which question. ;-)

Yeah, the link is http://forums.xisto.com/topic/64457-creating-and-promoting-an-online-forum/
The guide isn't as extensive as I want it to be. Maybe sometime I can put a SEO guide up.

What's the link to your forum? If you have a link up, I can give you site-specific support, which is better than just general tips.

I can edit theme so that MODs work on them. I have edited 3 themes to work on my site, another is 99% done and another is about 50% done. If you edit every time that you add a MOD, it isn't that much work, rather than all at once.

Hmm??? Cool... Yeah well, I am thinking of changing hosts when my site (which isn't up yet) earns enough to get transferred to a cheap paid hosting site... :lol::P:(
But yeah...

Wow... mahesh2k asking for help for the first time ever? I'm surprised... though I would like to see that too... :( I like forums and you never know... I might actually need it one day... :( :( :(

Why would you want to change hosts? Xisto is a paid hosting provider, they just allow people to post for money. Not to mention that they are quite reliable (I have seen very little downtime.)

Yeah, the link is http://forums.xisto.com/topic/64457-creating-and-promoting-an-online-forum/

The guide isn't as extensive as I want it to be. Maybe sometime I can put a SEO guide up.

What's the link to your forum? If you have a link up, I can give you site-specific support, which is better than just general tips.

I can edit theme so that MODs work on them. I have edited 3 themes to work on my site, another is 99% done and another is about 50% done. If you edit every time that you add a MOD, it isn't that much work, rather than all at once.

That was nice tutorial. And you covered the paid software forum part really well in other threads. I think i'll forward people on Xisto when they ask questions related to forum. We're answering those same questions over and over again i think.

About my forum, here is the link to Codesynapse forum. Theme is nothing new, just edited default one's. I wanted to use better theme as we discussed earlier on trap. But couldn't find one. As the niche of forum is programming. So it is kinda hard to find god theme for it.

I tried one theme "Portal Tan" which was great looking for my niche. But when i installed it, SMFAds and SMFTags and Syntaxhighlighter MODS stopped working. and that was really painful for me not using that theme for these two reasons. I would like to see if i can edit it to use this theme but only if those MODS worked on it. Especially syntax highlighter one. Cause you know, syntaxhighlighter is very important MOD for my Forum. I don't know how to work with custom themes ? If i learned that then i'll put up tutorial so that others can get help with MOD parsing and editing themes.

Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

Yeah. I'd say that you would need a new theme. The one that you have isn't so different, and the on/off images don't go well with the other colors. They tan color would be nice. Maybe DS-Natural from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ might look good.

The syntax code highlighter (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=290024.0;attach=84559) is a really good MOD. There should only be one theme edit, but that theme edit is vital to installation. If you want, I can install a theme on your forum and make all the mods work for a linkback to 2 of my websites in the footer.

sorry to be a party-pooper but we're getting a bit out of topic here guys. :lol:@Nameless_, has the question been answered to your satisfaction already? please report to have this marked as RESOLVED if it is. :P thanks. until then, we'll leave this thread open. :(