xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rob86

You Should Try Puppylinux! PuppyLinux: An Excellent Lightweight OS

Puppylinux is a light weight, 100mb Linux OS that can be run (and run WELL) off a Live CD. I was shocked to install Puppylinux, and have it immediately recognize my dialup modem and install it, and dial it with ease. What took me two or three days to figure out on Ubuntu, took me 5 seconds to figure out on Puppylinux. Ubuntu clearly needs to get some advice from the designer of Puppylinux in this area.It comes bundled with a lot of great apps. You can literally have a fully usable OS running from a Live CD or a flash drive that's a mere 100mb cd image. This is a quality OS, it's no lightweight last-resort. I'm so impressed with it I had to recommend it to the members of Trap. You may not choose it as your primary OS, and most likely neither will I as my PC can handle Ubuntu fine. It's designed to be lightweight and it can't compare to the bigger distributions, but it sure comes close. It's clear a lot of work went into designing this. This Puppylinux would make a great OS for an older computer. It's designed for really old computers, and it runs lightning fast on my not so old Athlon64 3200 with 512mb Ram. It boots up in about one second off the CD!It would also make an incredible backup OS in case your primary one dies and you need to get on the internet. I'm burning a second copy of this OS for safe keeping, to know I've always got an OS to turn to. I've killed windows more than once, and it's extremely difficult to fix it when you can't google for help and don't know what you're doing. An Ubuntu CD would never work as a backup OS for me (Unless, ofcourse I kept drivers on another drive), because of it's lack of built in dialup support. How I wish I knew about PuppyLinux then.If you have an old PC, do yourself a favor and restore it with PuppyLinux. I'm liking PuppyLinux so much (it's blazing FAST!) that I'm hesitant to boot up Ubuntu again :lol:Windows? What was that? With all these great OS's, I feel very naive using Windows all these years.

I swear, one more problem with windows xp,as in one more blue screenof death or something, and I'll switch to a Linux based operating system as well. I've heard of Linux puppy and all it can do.I should definitely check it out soon. The problem is getting used to the Linux based software and findingsoftware to replace what I used in Windows. For example, some music recording software that I'm used to, justisn't made for Linux, and I haven't heard of any comparable yet.That is the dilemma.

Yeah, I've been advocating puppy Linux on trap 17 for a while now, really is great isn't it? Getting it to install can be a bit of a hassle (at least it was for me). I actually posted an indication of how to correctly install it a few months ago. The self contained puppy package files are much better to deal with. The only thing that i haven't got up and running is Anti virus software for puppy NOP, but that's due to not putting enough time in to find it.

Edited by inverse_bloom (see edit history)

Puppy linux is great windows replacement, but be aware that it's probably not really in the same league as the bigger distributions like Ubuntu because it's really meant to be for older computers or people really interested in performance. It's meant to be light and fast, it's bundled software is designed to be light and fast as well, you sacrifice a lot in the fancy graphics department and maybe other areas. This might be okay for some people. I only have one computer, so I'm going to stick with Ubuntu as it's one of the most popular OS's, and it works good too, but I'm definitely wishing I had kept an older computer to install PupLinux on.I actually never had any problems with blue screens of death on XP. Windows ME was another story. Bluescreens every 5 minutes.As for your switch to Linux networker, what kind of music software are you trying to replace? My friend (not on Trap) and I do some music recording, and we try quite a few different music software. I haven't tried any completely linux compatible software yet but I plan to and will post here if I find anything. My friend, who's done a bit more software browsing than I, hasn't been too satisfied with the music recording options from what I hear.There's a program called Wine, which lets you run windows applications in Linux. I've tried this on a few things, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.There's also another alternative, I think called Vmware or Virtualbox, which lets you install Windows inside of Linux, (I think?) and you can run every windows software that way. I think the catch is, it slows your computer down a bit running an OS inside another OS. I havent tried it.

Yeah, VmWare is on Linux. I tried it for a bit on windows and found that it kept crashing (probably PC specs weren't good enough). You can install VMWare on puppy, check out this link - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15460

I haven't tried it out, if someone does can you let us know how you go? Running virtual machines is excellent for security, if you have dual cores and anything over 1 gigs of ram then your performance should be good, especially under puppy (be aware though that there is an option for virtual machines in the bios that you HAVE to tick to get decent performance).

There's also another alternative, I think called Vmware or Virtualbox, which lets you install Windows inside of Linux, (I think?) and you can run every windows software that way. I think the catch is, it slows your computer down a bit running an OS inside another OS. I havent tried it.

VMware and Virtualbox are two different pieces of software, manufactured by different companies. I've tried both and prefer using Virtualbox, since it's easy to use and comes from a reputable company (Sun Microsystems). There's always the problem that running an OS inside an OS (called a virtual machine) will slow down your system, but if you have over 2GB of RAM then I think you won't have much trouble running any kind of OS.

As for PuppyLinux, I think it's a good little thing but after getting used to Ubuntu it does take a while to see this kind of OS. The lure of faster booting time is good but I'd prefer some functionality as well.

Windows? What was that? With all these great OS's, I feel very naive using Windows all these years.

Hmm now that's a strange dialogue by a pro Windows hacker :lol::P

About the boot time, maybe with the next release of ubuntu it can beat puppy boot time. Even so, the boot time for ubuntu in my machine is only around 18 sec so I can bear with it. As for the puppy linux, if you really want to have an operating system with complete bundle of feature, then I would recomend ubuntu. If you want a very lightweight machine, then I will recomend damn small linux ( running around 20 ~ 30 mb memory ). Everything must have a trade off, performance or quality. If I must say, puppy is standing in between performance and quality.

Puppylinux is a light weight, 100mb Linux OS that can be run (and run WELL) off a Live CD. I was shocked to install Puppylinux, and have it immediately recognize my dialup modem and install it, and dial it with ease. What took me two or three days to figure out on Ubuntu, took me 5 seconds to figure out on Puppylinux. Ubuntu clearly needs to get some advice from the designer of Puppylinux in this area.
It comes bundled with a lot of great apps. You can literally have a fully usable OS running from a Live CD or a flash drive that's a mere 100mb cd image.

This is a quality OS, it's no lightweight last-resort. I'm so impressed with it I had to recommend it to the members of Trap. You may not choose it as your primary OS, and most likely neither will I as my PC can handle Ubuntu fine. It's designed to be lightweight and it can't compare to the bigger distributions, but it sure comes close. It's clear a lot of work went into designing this.

This Puppylinux would make a great OS for an older computer. It's designed for really old computers, and it runs lightning fast on my not so old Athlon64 3200 with 512mb Ram. It boots up in about one second off the CD!

It would also make an incredible backup OS in case your primary one dies and you need to get on the internet. I'm burning a second copy of this OS for safe keeping, to know I've always got an OS to turn to. I've killed windows more than once, and it's extremely difficult to fix it when you can't google for help and don't know what you're doing. An Ubuntu CD would never work as a backup OS for me (Unless, ofcourse I kept drivers on another drive), because of it's lack of built in dialup support. How I wish I knew about PuppyLinux then.

If you have an old PC, do yourself a favor and restore it with PuppyLinux.

I'm liking PuppyLinux so much (it's blazing FAST!) that I'm hesitant to boot up Ubuntu again :lol:

Windows? What was that? With all these great OS's, I feel very naive using Windows all these years.

Dear friend thanks to you for such a good advice for all the trap members I think many of us will be benefitted with this advice of yours. By the way frankly saying I was also searching for such an OS and I think it will be useful for me also. 

I learnt of PuppyLinux a few months ago when I was looking for a distro lightweight enough to run on my old PC.One tip: it won run on 64 MB RAM memory... I tried but it got stuck in the loading proccess.Anyway, when I run it on my main computer, it looked really good. Much better than Win XP!However, to be frank, it's rather odd when I use it. I never installed it on the hard drive since this main computer is used by the rest of my family too and they won't like it, I'm sure :P They're Windows-driven...But Puppy Linux is a great distro, and DHCP connection is almost automatic, which is something you don't find that often on Linux, right?