xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
willmark

Problems Getting On Trap17

has there been a problem with Xisto???? can anyone answer as over the last couple of days i have (but sometimes have) not been able to get on Xisto. There has been no change with my computer and i have been able to go on to other sites but not Xisto

Like most websites, unfortunately Xisto does unfortunately go down and becomes unreachable. You can always check if it is just you by visiting this link, which will tell you if the site is accessible to other people.

Yes,rvalkass mentioned there are times when Xisto goes down. Most of the time lots of guests logged onto system. And server can't seem to handle too much traffic or some other reason like database issues. and what not. You can check sites like downforeveryoneorjustme. You can use Mozzila add-on like this.

Some sites worth to try to check downtime. Ping.eu, DNS report. Or you can use proxy sites to check if your site is alive or down. Some sites do offer report of how your site is accessible or not in various parts of world(depending upon their datacenter).

Yeah... but it's seems kinda true though... I mean, I don't think that it's only willmark thinking there's something wrong with the forums... I thought the same thing when it happened to me, though the downtimes are pretty short and didn't last as long as the first time when it happened to me... but anyway... Xisto does seem to be quite down lately... I must say. I don't know why for some reason though, but I do understand if Xisto needs some downtime now and again to do whatever the administrators do behind the scenes... most, if not all free web hosting sites do, and they're all 99.99% uptime for some reason... but anyway.Yeah, it's not just you, willmark. I've been getting the server down time too... just hope that Xisto will collect itself together and provide us the wonderful forum that we all love... again. :lol:

Nothing new, nothing else to see here.Seriously... it's been an issue that's been pissing me off for the longest times. Especially around the daytime (EST), Xisto is CONSTANTLY not available and returns time-out errors, IPS database errors, and a lot of nada. It's a frustrating part of the Internet, but Xisto is the worst offender in the history of my 'net-surfing experience by far. The only times that rival Xisto's unavailability would be the handful of times that MySpace and Facebook and even Twitter were down due to DDoS attacks... and those were isolated incidents. Xisto is a constant hassle to deal with every day, which is why I only access it early in the morning or later in the afternoon or evening (my time).I'm guessing that Opaque just doesn't have the incentive to update Xisto's servers, because this has been an ongoing issue. Then again, he could just be broke like the rest of us... :lol:

Nothing new, nothing else to see here.
Seriously... it's been an issue that's been pissing me off for the longest times. Especially around the daytime (EST), Xisto is CONSTANTLY not available and returns time-out errors, IPS database errors, and a lot of nada. It's a frustrating part of the Internet, but Xisto is the worst offender in the history of my 'net-surfing experience by far. The only times that rival Xisto's unavailability would be the handful of times that MySpace and Facebook and even Twitter were down due to DDoS attacks... and those were isolated incidents. Xisto is a constant hassle to deal with every day, which is why I only access it early in the morning or later in the afternoon or evening (my time).

I'm guessing that Opaque just doesn't have the incentive to update Xisto's servers, because this has been an ongoing issue. Then again, he could just be broke like the rest of us... tongue.gif

well it's easy to blame it all on the owner and sit down, but we do not know what's going on behind the scene. I think most of you didn't notice one thing - while Xisto was down, were your hosted websites down too? I don't think so. I've noticed that my websites were online 95% of the times Xisto was down. This shows the staff is working a lot to maintain the hosted websites and maybe they're just a little busy to take good care of their own Xisto server. They're not abandoning it now, are they? :P Downtime is a nasty problem but the staff has to deal with a lot of things daily and I think they're just not finding enough time to do it all in a day. But they're still doing a good job with the other servers, keeping the hosting promise up :lol:

Like most websites, unfortunately Xisto does unfortunately go down and becomes unreachable. You can always check if it is just you by visiting this link, which will tell you if the site is accessible to other people.

Thanks for the link, that website is definitely worth remembering - I have on many occasions had to query friends to determine whether websites were down for everyone or just me :lol:

I don't know if any one of you noticed this or not. But Xisto is getting down for me after every 3-4 hours. It is not accessible for atleast 20-30 and after that it comes back. I'm observing this from last 2 days. Maybe this could be a server issue. I hope opaque and other admins will work on it to avoid more downtime on Xisto server.

I'm guessing that Opaque just doesn't have the incentive to update Xisto's servers, because this has been an ongoing issue. Then again, he could just be broke like the rest of us...

Lol. Jokes apart. It is infact hard to earn money from the forums. Cause the banner ads running on Xisto are PPC and not CPM based so even if Xisto gets lot of traffic. I don't think they fetch much earnings. It were to be CPM ads i would have said that Xisto earning moderate. But it's not..so at the end, free world is quite broke in one way or the other. :/
Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

Yeah i've been having alot of problems as well the last few days, good to know im not the only one.

If Downforeveryoneorjustme.com gets paid for every time I visit their site, the owner isn't broke! I use it all the time to check Trap's status. Xisto is down quite often, and even worse, when I'm in the middle of typing a post. I'll hit submit and "Page not available".. darn! That's really annoying. Sometimes I use a Firefox extension called Mr Uptime to alert me when Trap is back up.

This week it's really been tough getting onto the site, but I'm not worried a lot because things like this happen from time to time. And I have yet another far-fetched reason which may or may not be one of the reasons for the frequent downtime - Xisto/Xisto is based in Mumbai, right? Right now it's the rainy season here in India and Mumbai is known for its notorious showers every year. The other day I went to my local bank (my town is far away from Mumbai) and was told that the main servers in Mumbai were down due to heavy showers in that area. This incident may not have any relation to Xisto but I think it might be one of the reasons :P

On another note, I'm still satisfied that the server hosting my website is still up most of the time and that means others are having good uptime on their sites too. So there's a silver lining among all this :lol:

This week it's really been tough getting onto the site, but I'm not worried a lot because things like this happen from time to time. And I have yet another far-fetched reason which may or may not be one of the reasons for the frequent downtime - Xisto/Xisto is based in Mumbai, right? Right now it's the rainy season here in India and Mumbai is known for its notorious showers every year. The other day I went to my local bank (my town is far away from Mumbai) and was told that the main servers in Mumbai were down due to heavy showers in that area. This incident may not have any relation to Xisto but I think it might be one of the reasons :P

On another note, I'm still satisfied that the server hosting my website is still up most of the time and that means others are having good uptime on their sites too. So there's a silver lining among all this :lol:

Yeah, I agree with you. The first time it happened I was like.. Oh no!!! Help!!! And I sent a support ticket through Xisto for help. But then it was alright and the lady told me about the fact that downtimes are neccessary because it is a near free service and nearly all hosting sites have downtimes, and they're as much as Xisto (99.99% uptime), and now I'm not worried about it anymore. Plus, when that happened the first time, it was down for the whole day. Now it's only hours, and if I can't get on in the morning, I can be assured that it will be back on track in the afternoon once I'm back from school...

And your theory might be true, The Simpleton... no wonder it goes on and off periodically for short and brief periods of times...

well it's easy to blame it all on the owner and sit down, but we do not know what's going on behind the scene. I think most of you didn't notice one thing - while Xisto was down, were your hosted websites down too? I don't think so. I've noticed that my websites were online 95% of the times Xisto was down. This shows the staff is working a lot to maintain the hosted websites and maybe they're just a little busy to take good care of their own Xisto server. They're not abandoning it now, are they? :( Downtime is a nasty problem but the staff has to deal with a lot of things daily and I think they're just not finding enough time to do it all in a day. But they're still doing a good job with the other servers, keeping the hosting promise up :lol:

I wouldn't know anything about websites hosted on Xisto as I don't have one of my own just yet, but it's a very good thing that sites don't suffer the down-time that the forum does. Down-time on the forums only affects the members that actually post on the forums and for those who like to visit and read what we have to say, but it's frustrating nonetheless.

I think the reliability of the servers is because Xisto - Web Hosting is providing hosting out of a server farm that does have a reliable power source and consistent uptime and Xisto's server is run off of a separate server that Opaque could afford. I don't see why Opaque doesn't move hosting to a more reliable server or improve uptime conditions if he indeed is operating out of his own secret lab ( :P )... but then again, I would run my own server "for free" instead of paying someone else to host my site if it means saving money. I'm pretty sure that keeping the forums up and running for consistent access isn't the best return on investment when the real money comes in from advertisements and selling web hosting. Not sure how his operations work, but maybe he bought a server farm and just using a home server to run the forums... which would explain the volatility of storms over Mumbai, India, yes? :(

I wouldn't know anything about websites hosted on Xisto as I don't have one of my own just yet, but it's a very good thing that sites don't suffer the down-time that the forum does. Down-time on the forums only affects the members that actually post on the forums and for those who like to visit and read what we have to say, but it's frustrating nonetheless.
I think the reliability of the servers is because Xisto - Web Hosting is providing hosting out of a server farm that does have a reliable power source and consistent uptime and Xisto's server is run off of a separate server that Opaque could afford. I don't see why Opaque doesn't move hosting to a more reliable server or improve uptime conditions if he indeed is operating out of his own secret lab ( :lol: )... but then again, I would run my own server "for free" instead of paying someone else to host my site if it means saving money. I'm pretty sure that keeping the forums up and running for consistent access isn't the best return on investment when the real money comes in from advertisements and selling web hosting. Not sure how his operations work, but maybe he bought a server farm and just using a home server to run the forums... which would explain the volatility of storms over Mumbai, India, yes? :P

I suppose so... but this is just a question that I wanted to ask you... you said that you haven't exactly hosted a site of your own yet. And yet you have been a member since like, what??? 2006 with over eight hundred posts (I think its around eight hundred and twenty something posts... and more)... why don't you use your myCENTS for free hosting? I'm sure it'll last you for years and years and years to come... and if anything should happen to Xisto, like a really big storm in Mumbai, then all the myCENTS that has been given to you will be lost...

Of course, that applies to me as well, I'm in a similar situation as you, but I've only been here for one and a half months, and you? More than three years... it makes a difference... (and I have like, five hundred less posts than you too!)

I suppose so... but this is just a question that I wanted to ask you... you said that you haven't exactly hosted a site of your own yet. And yet you have been a member since like, what??? 2006 with over eight hundred posts (I think its around eight hundred and twenty something posts... and more)... why don't you use your myCENTS for free hosting? I'm sure it'll last you for years and years and years to come... and if anything should happen to Xisto, like a really big storm in Mumbai, then all the myCENTS that has been given to you will be lost...

Of course, that applies to me as well, I'm in a similar situation as you, but I've only been here for one and a half months, and you? More than three years... it makes a difference... (and I have like, five hundred less posts than you too!)

I've been planning on using Xisto's hosting services for the longest time, but there are a few problems:

I'm lazy.

I haven't thought of a good idea or purpose for my website yet.

I've been rather busy with work and other things, like looking to buy a home at the moment.

I'm lazy.

If I decided to purchase a decent hosting plan, I could literally leave Xisto for a few years before having to come back to post and continue earning myCents to keep my hosting up... as long as myCents and Xisto are still kicking around by then. :lol: (A lot of people who were already hosted were using hosting credits before Opaque rolled in with the myCents concept... not sure if they all had to earn myCents to continue their hosting or if their existing credits were converted... which makes me wonder if that's what would happen if myCents went away... hypothetically-speaking.) It's just that I would hate to "buy" a website and just sit on it because I don't have the time or the motivation to actually work on it at the moment. Right now, the only things that I could think of doing with a website is to advertise my personal portfolio and promote my at-home business, but other than that, I haven't come up with any real ideas yet.

Keep in mind too that I've tried to keep most of my posts "long" and informative and I've lurked for almost a year's time, and although I haven't exactly posted as much as some of the other regulars have, I try to make sure that I do quality posting to make up for it... and to actually "earn" my myCents. And that's why I've stressed in the past (along with others) that it's quality posting that counts... which is why I can actually host a site for over 3 years without having to come back here to continue earning myCents until I run out. :P