xisto Community
sheepdog

Now This Is Scary! Bad news for cell phone users

A friend of mine sent me an email the other day with a wmv file attatched so I don't have the link to the story, but it was on Ch 13 out of Memphis, Tenn.It seems that they now have cell phone spy ware that can let someone listen in to all your calls, incoming and out going. It sends a message to the spy every time you get a call, and it even sends all copies of any text messages you write or recieve to that person also. And if that wasn't bad enough, the person can even remotely turn on the speaker in your cell phone, so even if you are not on a call they can listen in to you! And if all that wasn't bad enough, they can also pinpoint your exact location and SEE YOU with satalites, in real time. They know exactly what you are doing at all times. This is really awful. There is just no such thing as privacy anymore.

Sounds pretty unlikely to me. Getting the EIN off a cell phone isn't as easy as it sounds, and it requires some pretty expensive gear. Getting a screen shot from a satellite would be nearly impossible if you're not a high-ranking member of some alphabet soup agency.

Sounds pretty unlikely to me. Getting the EIN off a cell phone isn't as easy as it sounds, and it requires some pretty expensive gear. Getting a screen shot from a satellite would be nearly impossible if you're not a high-ranking member of some alphabet soup agency.

Don't bet your last buck on that Watermonkey, Hackers are very smart and can come up with anything given the time and effort to do so. If a hacker really wants to listen to your cell calls he can. Most Cells transmit on the 900 Mhz band and a scanner can be "cracked" to get these bands. and once they get it, it's down hill from there.

A friend of mine sent me an email the other day with a wmv file attatched so I don't have the link to the story, but it was on Ch 13 out of Memphis, Tenn.
It seems that they now have cell phone spy ware that can let someone listen in to all your calls, incoming and out going. It sends a message to the spy every time you get a call, and it even sends all copies of any text messages you write or recieve to that person also. And if that wasn't bad enough, the person can even remotely turn on the speaker in your cell phone, so even if you are not on a call they can listen in to you! And if all that wasn't bad enough, they can also pinpoint your exact location and SEE YOU with satalites, in real time. They know exactly what you are doing at all times.
This is really awful. There is just no such thing as privacy anymore.

Yes, this isn't a new technology though, they have been developing this for a few years...
It is pretty sad, because all this technology means that it is hard to find privacy nowadays, with people spying on you and everything. The governments call it security, but is it really? I mean, maybe it is security, and that they can catch criminals that do crime faster, but they also keep information on different things and all that, of innocent people. So they can actually track whether you had an affair on your girlfriend, whether you finished your Big Mac meal after all or not, whether you gave that one dollar you found on the street to the beggar sitting a few feet in front of you...

They know everything about you, and you can't hide from that!!! You can do something shameful, or something personal like have sex or masturbate, and they will know when exactly you did it, HOW you did it, and all that other information that they don't need and shouldn't have in the first place!!!!

What exactly is security anyway, huh? If they can track everything and anything, shouldn't all the criminals in the world be caught already?

I might be expensive, but I wouldn't say that it's unlikely. Governments from all over the world (including the United States of America) are also working on this project, and money means almost nothing to them. And this also means that they are able to spy of military secrets of other countries and it will be a new type of war fare altogether.

And it might not even be the governments that are only working on this, because scammers can do it too, and they can track or messages, where you are and all that, and get and retrieve you personal informations, including schedules, where you live, your credit card details, you name, age and all that stuff if you have it on your mobile phone. Freaky huh?

AND, if they hacked into one of the business man's phone, and he just happens to be highly ranked and all that, the scammer/hacker can also retrieve information about his business and use that to his or her advantage.

Nothing is safe anymore...

Don't bet your last buck on that Watermonkey, Hackers are very smart and can come up with anything given the time and effort to do so. If a hacker really wants to listen to your cell calls he can. Most Cells transmit on the 900 Mhz band and a scanner can be "cracked" to get these bands. and once they get it, it's down hill from there.

I agree with Echo of Thunder... hackers and scammers will do anything to retrieve you personal information and credit card details, and more often than not the rewards and feedback and everything that they get back from scamming and all the "hardwork" will cover up the initial costs of putting everything in place and setting everything (the scam) up.

Wow, that is pretty scary. I can only reiterate what Echo_of_thunder and Nameless_ said - hackers will stop at nothing if they're very intent on something. This only makes me more paranoid about technology than I already am. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I have this strange paranoia that someone could be reading what I type on the computer or taking screenshots, haha. Now I have to worry about that on my phone? Luckily, I don't use my phone nearly as much as I use my computer!

It seems that they now have cell phone spy ware that can let someone listen in to all your calls, incoming and out going. It sends a message to the spy every time you get a call, and it even sends all copies of any text messages you write or recieve to that person also. And if that wasn't bad enough, the person can even remotely turn on the speaker in your cell phone, so even if you are not on a call they can listen in to you! And if all that wasn't bad enough, they can also pinpoint your exact location and SEE YOU with satalites, in real time. They know exactly what you are doing at all times.This is really awful. There is just no such thing as privacy anymore.

Dont you know about that? Its illegal in all countrys.

Yeah, that sounds right. I would not doubt it. After all, the world is not getting better. The end times are closer than ever and people just dont' realize what this can lead to. The Bible talks about all this. Read Matthew 24. Read Revelation. You may not believe any of the Bible but one day if you don't, you will be sadly shocked. Everything is leading to our privacy being taken away. we probably dont' even know the half of everything that is already happening through cell phones, TV, cable, you name it. This is why it is important to search the scriptures so you can know the truth and be ready to be with the Lord when our time comes. It's a scary thing, but if you are a believer in God and live your life for Him, He will take you through it and we wont have anything to fear.In His Love;)

It makes sense.Look at the direction that phones are taking. It's not a phone anymore... it's a multi-functional device that is convenient for you to do just about anything that you normally do on a day-by-day basis. Phones are getting "smarter" and more capable. What used to be a luxury of mobile communication branched to being a ubiquitous necessity and a gadget that everyone is going to have. (Even SafeLink Wireless, a branch of Tracfone, is giving cell phones and a decent minute plan to those that can't afford them otherwise using the money out of the Universal Service Fund that cell phone companies contribute to by way of generosity or by charging existing cell phone users more for "government fees.")A lot of phones nowadays offer Bluetooth technology. I saw a video and supporting article last year that featured a Bluetooth "gun" which was able to pinpoint and hack a ground Bluetooth-capable phone from the top of a rather tall building (easily over 20 stories), allowing access to saved texts, phone book information, and all the goodies just by accessing an open Bluetooth protocol.We're using phones now for our music, our digital media, sharing pictures and video, and even as PDAs with smartphones. They're essentially portable computers... and they're going to be susceptible to every sort of malicious intent that you would be subject to with the use of a computer on the Internet, but to include the much-easier occurrence of losing it or having it stolen.And the future even suggests using cell phones as a payment option, allowing you to ditch your wallet and scan your phone to make transactions using credit card information stored in the phone. IDs will be a thing of the past when they start using phones with digital IDs in the same fashion... if they decide to go this route. (They're already starting experiments with people, which currently doesn't seem to be a fad that catches on right now... but who knows what the future holds?)How do you combat this kind of thing? A little common sense goes a long way. I wouldn't worry so much about someone being bored enough to target me and hack my phone to get phone numbers or contact information... or even listen to my boring conversations with other people. I would worry more if and when we start storing more sensitive information on our phones, such as financial things. A hacker, if determined and skilled enough, WILL be able to get into anything. You, as the victim, have to set up your deterrents to help prevent or discourage being a victim.If you're one of those people that are paranoid about people listening to your conversations, establish a mindset with personal security (PERSEC) involved. If you're going to talk about sensitive topics, do it in person. If you're divulging company secrets, do it in person. If someone wants to know badly enough, they would be stalking you anyway... but it makes it harder if they can't get at your personal information through your phone.Right now, I wouldn't care if anyone hacked me through my phone. The iDEN and Bluetooth 1.1 transfer speeds would be enough of a deterrent to begin with, not to mention that I have a simple phone with nothing of worth information-wise on it. ;) Makes you second-guess that Blackberry or high-speed fancy phone purchase, eh? :P

First, I'm a cell technician and work on the ground at cell sites for (contracted) a very large provider that offers GSM, EDGE, and G3. It's been quite a few years (over a decade?) since they've offered a 900Mhz phone to their customers and there are really no more than a handful who hold on to that antiquated technology. In fact, I don't think it works at all any more since they've decommissioned all their TDMA (analog) transceivers. I had a scanner (stolen two years ago) that was able to lock on to conversations that were in that band, but I'll tell you, you could only hear one side of the conversation and it was never anything worth hearing in the first place. These days the VAST majority of phones worldwide operate on the digitally encrypted 800 or 1900Mhz wavelengths and no civilian radios are able to intercept and decrypt these transmissions. If the military or FBI or their counterparts in your country outside of the U.S. are listening in on your conversations actively, you've probably got bigger things to worry about. The only 900Mhz phones left are the few remaining cordless phones attached to people's landlines in their homes. You can go around looking for those signals, but, again, they're usually going to be digital and encrypted, so without the right gear, good luck.Regarding bluetooth: Phones don't leave themselves open for just any passing schmuck to exploit. I'd be much more worried about the RF chip embedded in my credit card or my passport. That chip will transmit to a receiver within a few feet. There is a small carrying case you can buy to block this. Worrying about the wrong things is what the Main Stream Media wants you to do so you won't wake up and start worrying about the things that really matter.

This may seem scary but there's no real reason to panic yet. This tech isn't widely used and it's really hard to set it up and all. And as Watermonkey said, there's no use worrying about everything new - problems may come and go but if we stay careful that's enough. Staying worried all the time is up to no good.

"?" where exactly do you get your information from???

This may seem scary but there's no real reason to panic yet. This tech isn't widely used and it's really hard to set it up and all. And as Watermonkey said, there's no use worrying about everything new - problems may come and go but if we stay careful that's enough. Staying worried all the time is up to no good.

This is only paranoia...You think the big cellphone companies will allow this? Until Microsoft have taken precautions against the spyware So this is only paranoia. Where did you get this information? I think this is possible true but the big companies will protect their business so be cool and don´t worry about this ok. The spyware is a way to take the control and spy, of course, a remot electronic machine. For this the "spywarers" use special software and special hardware. But I think that in cellphone the spyware is very limited. Because I only have listened about some bluetooth frauds and chips cloned. But that is all.

So maybe you are paranoic. Turn off your cellphone if you are scared while I will take a good warm bath. ;):P :P

Edited by fermin25 (see edit history)

I agree with you.
Infact we just simply cant waste our time worrying about the rumors or the real jammers. All that we are supposed to do is be careful as you said. However, I feel, hacking data isnt a new thing, there have been situations which people have already come across like bluetooth hacking. So, people just got to make themself clear whome and what information to share over phone. And regular checks on the installed softwares will also serve the purpose.

Damn good points, WaterMonkey.

As far as Bluetooth goes, isn't it hackable as long as it's enabled or just while it's in discovery mode? The video I saw back in the day (which I'll have to do some digging to find... it was probably last year) showed some teen whiz making a "gun" out of a Yagi/panel antenna and some sort of module to access some random guy's Bluetooth-enabled phone.

First, I'm a cell technician and work on the ground at cell sites for (contracted) a very large provider that offers GSM, EDGE, and G3. It's been quite a few years (over a decade?) since they've offered a 900Mhz phone to their customers and there are really no more than a handful who hold on to that antiquated technology. In fact, I don't think it works at all any more since they've decommissioned all their TDMA (analog) transceivers. I had a scanner (stolen two years ago) that was able to lock on to conversations that were in that band, but I'll tell you, you could only hear one side of the conversation and it was never anything worth hearing in the first place. These days the VAST majority of phones worldwide operate on the digitally encrypted 800 or 1900Mhz wavelengths and no civilian radios are able to intercept and decrypt these transmissions. If the military or FBI or their counterparts in your country outside of the U.S. are listening in on your conversations actively, you've probably got bigger things to worry about. The only 900Mhz phones left are the few remaining cordless phones attached to people's landlines in their homes. You can go around looking for those signals, but, again, they're usually going to be digital and encrypted, so without the right gear, good luck.
Regarding bluetooth: Phones don't leave themselves open for just any passing schmuck to exploit. I'd be much more worried about the RF chip embedded in my credit card or my passport. That chip will transmit to a receiver within a few feet. There is a small carrying case you can buy to block this. Worrying about the wrong things is what the Main Stream Media wants you to do so you won't wake up and start worrying about the things that really matter.