xisto Community
FruitRocks

Should I Stick With Vista Or Get Windows 7?

Because I'm a MSDN subscriber, I can get all versions of Vista and ultimate for free. Should I stick with Vista Ultimate because it has never given me any problems, or go to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (the one that is supposed to come out in October, not the RC version).

I'd say Windows 7. A friend of mine is a MSDN subscriber and he burned Windows 7 RTM for me and it's awesome and 1000x better than Vista. If your computer can't handle Vista well, I'm sure 7 will be better. Just my 2 cents but I'd say Windows 7.

Why stick with Vista when you have the option to get a better one? Like everyone else would say, get Windows 7. Since you can get any Windows version for free, there is no harm trying new ones ;)

Hi!I would strongly recommend moving from Microsoft Windows Vista to Microsoft Windows 7 especially since you have the MSDN subscription. Microsoft Windows 7 is wayyy more responsive than Microsoft Windows Vista, especially if you use Internet Explorer. I'm pretty sure they pre-load the browser to get the almost-immediate startup time that they do. This really ought to get people off Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. Since Internet Explorer 7, I've always had the browser responsiveness issue. Although Microsoft Windows 7 runs the same version of Internet Explorer that I run on Microsoft Windows XP, it is so much quicker!I've been using Windows 7 RC for almost a month till I got a copy of Microsoft Windows 7 Professional that I installed today. The user interface changes take a while to get used to - I still like my classic-Windows style ungrouped taskbar buttons.

Because I'm a MSDN subscriber, I can get all versions of Vista and ultimate for free. Should I stick with Vista Ultimate because it has never given me any problems, or go to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (the one that is supposed to come out in October, not the RC version).

In my opinion you should upgrade your system and get Windows 7 Ultimate RTM rather than using Vista. I think even the comparison between the Windows Vista and Windows 7 is the insult of the best OS ever built i.e Windows 7. I am saying this because I have used Windows 7 beta version for more than one month and found it very reliable, fast and features rich. It has everything that must be present in an ideal OS. So don't think anymore, if you can buy it then just buy it. If you still wants to use Vista then you can keep Vista installed in one partition and install Windows 7 in other partition, making your system dual booting.

I'm not really a fan of Windows but out of the two, 7 is much more better than Vista and I would strongly recommend switching to it. Vista has very few fans and even people like you who say that they haven't had any problem with it till now, have some feeling deep within that it's not so good. The very fact that you started this topic tells that you are somehow not satisfied with Vista! ;) So take the advise of all the above members and switch to 7 as soon as possible, as it is the best one available for now.

Honestly? 2 words come to mind. Down Grade. We all know the bad stories of Vista, and window's 7 in from what I understand a build off XP. Being a windows xp user I have to say that I think that if you can, it would be best to downgrade to XP. win 7 is still new and I feel sure will have some bugs. It's Microsoft right? If you have the money to spend on 7 go for it but until it is all proven and working at 100% I would go with windows XP

First give me the login details to your MSDN account that way I get free windows ;).

Second, last I heard Windows 7 has a major setback in the form of a memory leak that causes a BSOD after running chkdsk.exe utility. Now I haven't heard if this was fix or Microsoft was working on it, but odds are MSDN Subscribers would have more info on that then us normal people. I know that derailed me of picking up a copy of Windows any time soon until that bug is fixed.

As for what Echo's post mention, let me correct a few things, first Windows 7 is built on Vista but even better and faster. The only thing XP related is XP Mode and even then you only see that service on Windows 7 Professional and above.

As for your question if you have Ultimate running then your good enough as it is, but since you can get Windows 7 for free you might as well upgrade to it as well on a separate partition and then let the bug fixes and junk build up before making it your primary OS.

It's funny that this question is even asked considering the stigma behind Windows Vista. Windows 7 has the unusual advantage of attracting new customers to the Windows OS platform and especially current Vista customers because it's what Vista was supposed to be but with a fresh new name. Initially with a change/upgrade to a new operating system, I would advise to let the guinea pigs have at it first to check out any potential bugs and/or instability issues, but then again, Windows 7 has been under constant scrutiny and testing thanks to a world-wide participation with the beta variants and "leaked" versions of the RC, creating enough of a buzz to focus attention on a Microsoft product that, surprisingly, isn't too bad. Driver-wise, migrating customers and early adopters will be all set thanks to the utilization of the Vista driver concept that thankfully is more mature than when Vista first came out, giving developers and consumers much of a headache with hardware support. Feature-wise, the operating system seems to be rich and rife with eye candy and an actual user-friendly interface. As people have already mentioned, the RTM still has problems to date, but we can always count on the Microsoft development timeline of RC = alpha, RTM = beta, SP1 = RC/RTM, and SP2 = final release. ;) It's ultimately your call, but personally, as cool and as good as Windows 7 is and the fact that many users are already praising a Microsoft product, and even with the fact that Windows 7 has been available for consumers and testers to explore for over a year now, I would still wait. Then again, I'm viewing it from the perspective of being an XP SP2 user. You, on the other hand, may have quite the gain jumping ship from Vista SP2 to 7 RTM.

Seriously, i think you should go for windows 7. you can think of windows 7 as patched and irritation free(atleast much better than vista). I think of vista release like windows ME, which failed in same way like windows vista. after that only windows 98 and windows 2000 were considered as better options till they launched XP. and now that XP support is stopped and it's obvious they're supposed to improve their old OS's. though like windows 98, even Windows XP will be there in market support and services as well as on our desktops for quite sometime. but one day we've to upgrade to new OS. like it or not.In Windows 7, XP mode is answer to support for old games and drivers. So switching to windows 7 won't be issue anymore. there will be still some issues and ofcourse some one will come up with answer, that's life in windows. (On side note, consider switching to linux ;) JK ) If you can't afford ultimate edition then professional is much better option cause if you stick with starter,basic editions then you'll find yourself in land of feature limitations. So either professional edition or ultimate.

If you've tried windows 7 RC youll see its quite an improvemtn both visually and in terms of performance. it still uses a lot more memory than XP, but its better than vista!It has some faults - bugs etc.I think it might be worth waiting for a while, once its been on general release for long enough microsoft will know about a lot of the faults and release a service pack. SP1 has improved vista, and I see no reason why windows 7 shouldnt be a reasonably okay operating system...

I really suggest everyone to leave vista and stick to the great windows 7. In my opinion windows seven is really a state of the art OS. Smooth work ground, beautiful UI and .... Somehow Microsoft has managed to combine XP efficiency with Vista beautiful UI so as to make a ground-breaking OS.