xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
asomormridul

Pyrated Operating System

I am using pyrated Operating System. Actually, I have little knowledge on computers and at the time of purchased I selected to go with assembled desktop rather than going for a branded one. The person supplying me the computers does not have a genuine set of softwares, as it is common at my place of stay. So, now I am using the pyrated operating system (Windows XP - pack2). What bothers me is that I can't go for live updates of softwares when I am online. So, am I at a risk of damaging my computer? I have Avast as antivirus (free edition) and Ad Aware SE personal for spywares. I would love to know your suggestions and comment.

I am aware of your situation asomormridul. A lot of people are using pirated OSes without even knowing it. And they are obviously missing out on the updates. Some critical updates from Microsoft cannot be provided by antivirus programs so your system could be at risk. My suggestions to you are:1) Since you cant purchase a legal copy of XP anymore, try getting a copy of Windows Vista, or better still, wait till Windows 7 is released in October. Then you can get the updates from Microsoft and keep your computer safe.2) A better option would be to install Linux on your system, which is completely FREE and is virus-proof. You wouldn't need to get worried about damaging your system while you're using Linux, because it's virtually indestructible (of course if you go looking for trouble you will get it!)

Hi!@asomormridulI know what you mean. A lot of people I know have a pirated (it is spelled "pirated" and not "pyrated") copy of Microsoft Windows because they didn't know how to check if what they were getting was genuine. A medical clinic and a photo studio are among the places that use pirated software, mostly because they didn't know what they were getting was pirated till the message from Microsoft showed up one day. If it weren't for the software check from Microsoft, most people would still not know that the software they got with their computers was pirated. I'm guessing Microsoft Windows is the most pirated software, but if it isn't, Microsoft Office ought to have that spot.You don't have to worry about damaging your computer as it is just software - the hardware doesn't get affected by what you install on it. You should however consider moving to either a licensed copy of Windows or use a free operating system. Windows 7 Professional is now available to academic institutions and customers subscribing to a Microsoft Volume Licensing (MVL) program so should be available at a store near you soon. You probably need to wait for about a month longer to get it. If you need something to use temporarily, you can get a copy of Microsoft Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) from the Microsoft website which will work till March 2010.You might want to consider using Ubuntu 9.04 or another distribution of Linux. You can get updates and easily upgrade to newer versions. You also get an Office suite with the operating system distribution so you save on a license for Microsoft Office too. Alternatively, you could also try using OpenSolaris if you prefer to use UNIX instead of Linux. Although people will tell you that Linux is difficult to use, you should pay no attention to them. It is, in fact, very simple to use and you get lots of help from other users. There's also a Linux User Group that meets up every month and you might have one in your neighbourhood too.An advantage of using Linux is that you'll have a repository of software, a lot like the Apple iPhone's AppStore from which you can select the software you need instead of having to look for it on a website.Using Avast! and AdAware will help keep viruses and spyware away so you are well equipped on that front, but you cannot get newer versions of the operating system components and fixed versions of defective operating system files.Regards,Nitin Reddy

I also use some pirated Softwares including Operating System. I use mostly Windows XP with Service Pack 3 which is not genuine. We can find lots of pirated version of operating system in local shop they costs only $1 for a cd/dvd that include a operating system. I know there are lots of disadvantages of using pirated operating system but it is very expensive to buy here. I also have genuine version of Microsoft Windows XP SP 1 (Home Edition) on my laptop from that I enjoy microsoft facilities. I think using Linux based operating system will be fine but lots of people don't know how to use Linux operating system because of the most of the people use Windows.

Using pirated software is illegal, yes, but was it your fault that you unknowingly purchased it, or was it the seller's fault for allowing you to purchase illegal software? Or is it your fault if you knew that you were getting pirated software or the company's fault for making it cost-prohibitive?With those moral questions aside, since you are stuck with pirated software, let's say that you wanted to stick with it because you couldn't afford to go out and purchase another retail box. If that's the case, you are all set with Windows XP if you're updated to SP2. All the updates that they are pushing out are unnecessary but recommended because of all of the exploits and security holes that were found, but unless you are going out and downloading a ton of stuff, taking files from friends, or being targeted for a hacking attack, you shouldn't be worried. I find it funny that one of the updates includes WGA, which basically is required for Windows to tell you that your copy of Windows isn't genuine and then to prevent you from accessing your own computer, which is another reason why you shouldn't be updating blindly. (But no one likes to bother reading about what they let Microsoft put on their machines, right?) ;)In my mind, you are wrong in knowingly having acquired pirated software. However, if you didn't know at the time of purchase, the seller was wrong in letting you buy it. At the same time, it's a harsh bullet to bite when you weigh the cost of piracy over the cost of legitimacy, and although we all should be purchasing our copies of Adobe Photoshop @ $399+, Microsoft Office @ $299, Windows OS @ $199 (total guesses, by the way)... you can see why people resort to piracy.Basically, you're all set after Service Pack 2. Windows Firewall and the addition of a router will deter most hackers, but remember, any other malicious occurences have to go through YOU as you would be the introducing factor for malware via downloading things, sharing files, using infected USB sticks with AutoRun... I'm sure you catch my drift.

about branded laptop osPyrated Operating SystemHello I have dell latitude d610 laptop with windows xp sp2 (original operating system) in the laptop. And now I got a problem and wants to replace the os and I did not have the original os cd and my doubt is that wether the laptop works when I replace the pirated os to the existing os-reply by chaitanya

about branded laptop osPyrated Operating System

Hello I have dell latitude d610 laptop with windows xp sp2 (original operating system) in the laptop. And now I got a problem and wants to replace the os and I did not have the original os cd and my doubt is that wether the laptop works when I replace the pirated os to the existing os -reply by chaitanya

Computer manufacturers doesn't include the OS CD when you purchase their product. The laptop will definitely work if you install the pirated OS. There is one catch, however. Once you have the pirated OS installed on the laptop, the software warranty (if there is any) of the laptop is automatically voided. But I believe, when you have to choose between the laptop not working and a void software warranty, you'll surely pick the latter.

Better yet, try using Linux OS (Ubuntu, Debian, etc.). That is if you're using the laptop to get surf the net and some few IMs. Stick with Windows (Pirated or Not), if you'll be playing games in it.

I myself use a pirate copy of Windows Xp. A lot of people tell me I should upgrade to Windows 7, but I simply don't have the specs for it.. :P Also, for what I'm doing: Windows XP is fine.As for Linux, I'm an ex-user. I used Ubuntu, followed by Fedora for about a year and a half in conjunction with Windows, but I accidentally destroyed some important data while using Gparted (my fault). I reinstalled a few months later, but found my latest hobbies weren't really supported by Linux (graphic design and music editing). Try as I might, I simply couldn't get comfortable with Gimp, especially not after so many years with a powerful tool like Photoshop: not only an industry standard but a potentially limitless tool for creation..Also, there is little music software for Linux. What was there was almost impossible to use, or didn't support previous files (like Vst plugins, and Midis). Apparently EnergyXT is on Linux, but it's very expensive and more suited to DJ work.I also had trouble using Wine. The only programs I successfully ran were Counterstrike 1.6 (very old video game, capable of running on anything) and Publisher as nothing similar/ nothing as good could be found in OpenOffice.Anyway, with that said, I found Linux very comfortable to use as a whole. After about a week I became confident with the console and found installation challenging yet manageable. I'm sure people who only need basic office utensils and a media player would find Linux the best alternative, but it simply doesn't have the media creation facilities many would find on Windows/Mac.. ;)