xisto Community
Ash-Bash

My Suggestions To Trap17 Forums

Hi guys,
I have been a member at these forums for almost a year and have just seen it go down hill since I signed up and started posting.
I have been thinking in my spear time while logged onto Xisto and below are a few idea's/suggestions & Ways you could improve the forum altogether.

•New Theme, This theme seems to be old and quite dull. Would make a great change!
•New things to keep old members interested!
•Less down time, The forum seem to be down alot. Try and keep 'em up!
•Better Speed, Its always good to have a Fast forum!

Well there are a few I am sure you guys will approve and disapprove of some of them please feel free to add your own in the replies!

-Ash.

It would be great if there was a bit more to myCENT.
But of course the packages you have to consider.
Edited by Phoneix (see edit history)

Hi guys,

I have been a member at these forums for almost a year and have just seen it go down hill since I signed up and started posting.

I have been thinking in my spear time while logged onto Xisto and below are a few idea's/suggestions & Ways you could improve the forum altogether.

New Theme, This theme seems to be old and quite dull. Would make a great change!

New things to keep old members interested!

Less down time, The forum seem to be down alot. Try and keep 'em up!

Better Speed, Its always good to have a Fast forum!

Well there are a few I am sure you guys will approve and disapprove of some of them please feel free to add your own in the replies!

-Ash.

I couldn't agree more on every point. The theme needs to be updated and the forum navigation needs to be overhauled.

I would be on here posting a lot more frequently if it weren't such a painful experience each time.

We don't need to see all the forum subheadings up front.

How about a rollover reveal app. Or go and take a look at a site like digg.com and get some ideas. While far from perfect, digg is much easier to spend time on than here.

I think all that keeps users on this forum at the moment is the free hosting (obviously) and maybe because there is such a big choice of subjects the net is cast wide and people have found there niche discussion area here. Also the spirit of Xisto is appealing to many - but it could be SO much better.

I couldn't agree more on every point. The theme needs to be updated and the forum navigation needs to be overhauled.

I agree with this one. I think to get current threads you have to scroll to bottomI think it will be better if they make it at the top.

How about a rollover reveal app. Or go and take a look at a site like digg.com and get some ideas. While far from perfect, digg is much easier to spend time on than here.

Digg is not forum and it has lot of JS and ajax stuff. That adding to forum will increase loading time and many of us are on dialup or low speed connections, mobile phones so think about it.

I think all that keeps users on this forum at the moment is the free hosting (obviously) and maybe because there is such a big choice of subjects the net is cast wide and people have found there niche discussion area here. Also the spirit of Xisto is appealing to many - but it could be SO much better.

I think you're taking this annoyance way to extreme. I agree with navigational issue but rollover app and people flocking here just for mycents is not valid all time. Besides theme is not that bad, as you are trying to portray. Edited by mahesh2k (see edit history)

I couldn't agree more on every point. The theme needs to be updated and the forum navigation needs to be overhauled.I would be on here posting a lot more frequently if it weren't such a painful experience each time.
We don't need to see all the forum subheadings up front.

The speed seems to be ok taking into account the size of the database though maybe accounts with 0 posts could be deleted at some stage to stop us active members suffering? This would definitely increase the speed as most of them are probabley them PM spam bots.

A script like Digg would be great on here and maybe you could earn 10myCents for every dig or something?

I do think there should be more ways to earn mycents such as the Dig way above or something to keep old users interested in posting.

What's the point in Digg traffic ? Do you know digg traffic is made up of savvy userbase. All IM people know that it's hard to monetize for Digg. And digg members hardly click on ads. So what's point in bringing that traffic ? Just for Alexa ranking ?If the traffic is not paying anything in return then what's the point in that traffic source ? Digg is not at all worthy source when it comes to PPC. Only PPV/CPM traffic benefits from Digg. And to let you know that Adsense ads on trap are CPC. Kontera ads on Xisto are also CPC. Now what this digg traffic will help xisto grow in terms of revenue ? If you have any good explanation and stats on digg and revenue generation i'm all ear to it.One more thing is current way of earning mycent is enough. You post quality content and you earn mycent which worth the post. You want to earn more and do what ?want to buy datacenter or something ? 1 week of forum posting (with 5 quality replies) is enough to earn mycent that will last for 1 year of logic plan hosting. Plus you'll earn enough to cover domain costs as well. Why you want to have more ways of earning mycents ? Are you running out of them ? I guess not so.

I did say something like the Digg System, Maybe The admins could add a Rep system where you are 10 Cents for every rep given and -5 for every minus rep. I thinks that's very fair as long as the system is not abused.

yea? well i don't like it. people can use unjust reasonings. i mean lets say people don't like ya, ash(god forbid). there goes your mycents. plus, this isn't the dig system nor should it ever be. the system is god. it is unique to trap.

I did say something like the Digg System, Maybe The admins could add a Rep system where you are 10 Cents for every rep given and -5 for every minus rep. I thinks that's very fair as long as the system is not abused.

To me, dark themes are less professional, the Black Crystals theme Disturbed mentioned would be a good idea, the name would make you think it's a dark theme but it's actually white, and the headers and footers make it look like windows vista, the headers of this theme is flat -.-
But installing new themes are time consuming if you have mods installed because you have to look up all of the skin edits each modification calls for and redo them, and I'm sure there are many mods on this board. not to mention things like the ads and 3rd party things which are all skin based which means lots of skin edits.

Yes I think there should be more things to do here :P like a regular SOTM? or SOTW? I think a SOTM would be great and have it like on my friends forums where the winning sig is displayed on the forum index in a little box, here's what it looks like http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ yah I know their forums is a tad ugly lol but the SOTM thing is what I'm talking about.

I think the forums are really fast, I'm on dialup and it runs just fine.

Reputation system ? For what ? Isn't this content system enough to earn mycent ? We had reputation system when we had credit system in 2005-2007 but now opaque dropped it and i'm glad he did that. Just imagine one or two posts which are in 1-liners from us and any noob will come up with reasoning of one liners and will dump us with negative rep. You wanna gonna go down with such thing ?

And as i said earlier, digg is in no way justifies Xisto's current revenue model. It will hurt more than it will help.

To me, dark themes are less professional, the Black Crystals theme Disturbed mentioned would be a good idea, the name would make you think it's a dark theme but it's actually white, and the headers and footers make it look like windows vista, the headers of this theme is flat -.-

Dark themes are not at all professional. If you have ever read about usability and people with reading trouble then you'll come to know that black themes are not at all considered as professional. Show me any usability study where black themes are considered as professional. Let me tell you even current dark theme hurts eyes a lot for some people. Blue/white/green/light yellow themes make no issues to eyes.Text becomes easy to read for people. Only art/warez/gaming forums prefer dark themes and they are happy with what they do as majority of members like such themes. Here this is hosting forum, and people want to read things with ease and reply. What dark theme can do better here for people ?

Reputation system is good, especially to see some people reputation (i still remember when i insert my polls on another forum), but it will works only if it does not affect anything. I don't know about ipb reputation system, but in the another forum i mentioned it was kind of perfect to measure the worth of the corresponding person. And it cannot be easily abused so the reputation shown, is really the person's reputation. New theme will do good, but i'm satisfied already with the current one. Isn't it so human just like ubuntu? dark theme is a no-no in a forum where you will spend a lot of your time. Almost all my site visitors prefer the current brighter theme than the old one. :P For the forum activities, the 'xwzy of the month' will be fun. But then again, trap have that yearly award. :DHow about making a sub forum where the member can start their own forum events? It was VERY funny when the comic and story competition was being held on the official game forum on my country :P

i am sorry, but this whole reputation system is stupid. other websites might provide it, but i don't like it. it is not the purpose of this forum....PERIOD! i personally will stop being a member if this forum ever changes in to something that didn't provide the membership as it has today. people can talk about all the changes and how it will be better....but it's thriving. it hasn't gone downhill. it has made the necessary changes to keep up with the times from 5 years ago.also....if anything is built on a reputation system, then those who have none will never get the credit they deserve.....which is CONTENT....something Xisto thrives on to give us hosting services and domain services. we would totally have to revamp EVERYTHING just to offer some sort of reputation credits.ash- you are a firm believer in changing crap around here. where the heck did your website go that you were promoting? i am sure opaque loves suggestion and even yours because it takes a lot of wrong answers to get to the right ones. but come one.....this thread is nothing but selfish and one sided thinking. some....yes....SOME have to be realistic in the way they think. i know people care about this place and it's survival, but come now....if you want to give a suggestion....at LEAST be original and ahead of the technology :Ptrap offers a good service no matter what it looks like or how it operates to offer that service"The Greatest Pleasure In Life Is Doing What People Say You Cannot Do. " what do you know about that ASH??? really...what do you even know about that....