xisto Community
Ike_ve

Quit Gaming Can Gamers Quit Gaming?

The games (video games) are just luxury things in my opinion. You don't need it to develop any skills you cannot do else where. Humans have been living without video games for most of our existence. Today's generation are growing up too dependent on it and make up lame excuses just to justify them being able to play them. Things like "I'm bored", "There is nothing to do", "Everything else is boring" are all too common from my little 9 year old brother. Hes become so addicted that I have told him hes not allowed to play on the computer until his grade changes as well as his attitude. I've been an addict to games but I should know better. Games really are for kids. There is so much else to do in life that has longer lasting value its crazy to think we spend so much time on them. Time wasted away and never to be regain again.

Hmm... Gaming is a big addiction. I don't feel addicted to it. In fact, I have to convince myself to play it as I know how fun it is but can usually never be bothered to play. But gaming, unlike other addictions is pretty risk free. The only risks being eye-strain, some sort of brain condition or very sore thumbs :DI reckon it should be pretty easy to give up gaming... Just get a big hammer, some tissues and vodka. Then, smash up your console, wipe your eyes and drink the vodka. Dadaaa! You've left you're gaming addiction and taken up alchoholism :) Just make sure you don't get mixed up, pour the vodka on the tissue and use the console to wipe your eyes... Because that is just the complete opposite of what we're trying to do... Good luck :DI don't think time spent playing games is wasted. Whatever makes you happy, is something you should be doing throughout all of your life. I like to live life for fun rather than grades and a place in civillization. Fun and love are the most important things in the world! :D And if something makes you happy, it's more important than anything else. Anyway, I've found gaming to be a huge learning experience. Most of my time is spent making websites about games and modifying them... Making them better than the person who created them in the first place :P - Still, I'm not addicted. I do more modifying than playing really :D

Edited by SpiderVV (see edit history)

This is not just a question, i don't want to see posts like: Yes, they can, no They can't. I wanna see discussions.I'm talking about gamers that play games 5to10 hours a day. Can they quit gaming? Especially WoW gamers.
The gaming is so addictable. It is fun for young children and for old people. Every gamer has his taste of gaming, like i play just FPS games, they are better. After playing cs 1.6 for some time (2-3 years), 4-5 hours a day. I tried to quit playing CS. I removed CS 1.6 from my PC, after 2 days i found another game (Warcraft 3, dota.) that i got addicted to again. I made many times like this, once i didn't play cs for 6 months, but that time was when i was playing NFS MW. My point it, a gamer can't quit gaming. Maybe he can quit playing one game, but he always can find another that it will fill the void. Also, for WoW players, on the net i see many clips when boys are like they are crazy (mentally) becouse their parents deleted their WoW account. There are WoW players that play WoW 15 or more hours a day. That's why i don't want to even start playing WoW, becouse i see it is very addictable.
Have you quit playing games? Have you tried..? You are not a gamer if you play games 1-2 hours a day. You are not a gamer if you don't play games at least 5 days a week.

its hard to quit in playing a game specially when you addicted to it like me! i played every nyt 12 hours a day just to improve my playing skill so much :D i even forgot to eat when im playing,
i can quit gaming if we dont have enough money anymore :) or when i become a father already i can deffinitly quit at it :P

I don't think time spent playing games is wasted. Whatever makes you happy, is something you should be doing throughout all of your life. I like to live life for fun rather than grades and a place in civillization. Fun and love are the most important things in the world! :) And if something makes you happy, it's more important than anything else.

Thats a nice and unrealistic way to look at life. Sure you want to do things that make you happy but everything has its downside and if you over do it then you are asking for trouble. Drugs, alcohol make people happy apparently but do we all recommend it an activity? I think not. The same is with gaming it's no excuse to do anything just because it makes you happy you have to look at the side effects. I have three kids and I'm not happy, what would make me happy is to dump them to their mum and run away. I hope you get the point.

Its next to impossible. I go from game to another game, and only don't wast around 6 months inbetween. The best way is to search for another game, and then you should always choose one in beta or alpha. I would do this because, by the time the game comes around you'll be really pumped, and it will dissapoint you and then you would rage quit. By this you can't stand to go for another game, and then there you have your addiction is beat, but then you will spiral into depression, because you have been out of the social realm for too long.

It's hard to quit gaming, really hard. Maybe when you come 30 years of 40 you will reduce the time playing games, but there's no way to stop play games. I'm gamer and I know how hard is that. I try to stop playing for one month, but you know after 2-3 days you get longing and must continue with gaming. My dad is 42 and he haven't stop gaming yet, can't live without PS2 and PES :)

I think a hardcore gamer can quit gaming, if he will want to. I think it's something like with quite smoking, if you don't really want to quite, you won't.. Usually gaming affects people differently, some just quit as fast as they started playing games. :DI usually start playing something when I'm nervous or don't want anything else to do, which usually I find. :)

I don't think gamers can quit, it's impossible, when you find something really fun and it's your favorite thing to do you are not going to leave it, maybe as you get older and have more responsabilities the hours they spent playing are going to be less but to totally leave it there's no way. Just for example I don't consider myself as a hardcore gamer but I definitely love video games if I have free time I would spent it playing for sure, now that I'm working I have less time to play :P or less free time :) haha, and I realized it is trully an addiction one day I borrowed from my brother in law a psp and it was incredible I spent all my time playing when I was supossed to be working... and I don't have a game console in my house now but I'm dying to get one... And thats the big dilemma! Play or not play haha :D

I have quit gaming but from time to time when I am free I am starting to like playing games again so I think it is hard to quit gaming for life when you started at it already

I would say the opposite. It is easy IF you have a life changing responsibility then you have to drop what kills the time most, gaming. There, you have officially quit gaming :)

Hi!Yes, life changing responsibilities change things.... and so does getting a pet. I was on holiday and although there was a computer right there in front of me, I found the dog to be much more fun. Then, when the holiday ended and I was back home, I was back to the computer and back at gaming. I've had an on-again off-again thing with gaming. I've just about stopped gaming entirely when a co-worker gives me his discs saying, "Please, take them off my hands! I can't do anything productive while they are around me." Now comes the really hard part of self-control versus temptation.I know a couple of people who only play games in a particular genre and when there aren't any new releases, they go into self-imposed gaming-exile. Then, there are others who only play against human players and when there's no one else around to play with, they quit gaming till they find someone again.Regards,Nitin Reddy

Well, I play since I'm like 4 or 5. I remember playing the first Grand Theft Auto's and other games but then I quit for some reason. I had school and then faster Internet came and I wouldn't get out of it for school works. After that I started again, I bought new components for my computer, RAM, cards, etc and gaming started to be a pleasure again until the system started to leak. I bought more components around September 2008 and it's the current ones I have, I never liked to quit gaming, I've always thought that gaming is a great thing but it'll never replace school works or IRL, so no I'll not quit so fast.

I don't mind single-player games at all because they almost always involve predetermined closure, such as a final level, end to a story, last boss to defeat, etc..However, I really don't like games like WoW and other MMORPGs because of the fact that they basically ruin the lives of those who play them by wasting their good health and resemble 1984 in design. Sounds cliche and bizarre, but it's just that the time and effort that goes into them can just as well be put into real-life hobbies that reward a person with personal growth and accomplishment -- the kind of accomplishment that is measured only on your own terms of what you want to get out of it. Working on building a patio, sculpting furniture, rebuilding a car, painting, martial arts, etc.. these are things with value that last much longer and give you rewards that spread far and wide in the real world.What I mean by being like 1984 is that the things we aim for in reality are consistent with what mankind does for well-being,. In a virtual world, there is an invisible and absolute authority that controls and oversees all, an exclusive elite will rules the virtual world and gives the players meaningless tasks with planned obsolescence that are simply meant to waste their time and present the illusion that they're making progress in some arbitrary way... is this not like how a despotic utopia would operate if you were to take the terms and factors and place them in real life? I'm not being a presumptuous prude here, I'm just saying is all... the basic point stands that it is basically worthless to play in a virtual world where other people set the rules and you can't gain personal sanctification on your own terms. Something like Second Life seems much safer in this regards, but it isn't much of a game either, but that's neither her nor there...

Sorry I can't stop gaming, Now with my 1337 PC there is no way I am going to stop gaming with all the latest games that keep coming out. Gaming is now a big part of my life and I enjoy it very much especially when I am bored or decided to play with friends. Gaming I think has now become a way of life for most people. Mostly anyone you ask has an Xbox, PS3, PC etc to play games.I think the world is becoming a different place.