xisto Community
QueenBea

Sun Dried Tomatoes didnt realise they were so great

HelloI have been told before now that sun dried tomatoes can really give your dish a boost but I never really did anything about it, until the other day I decided to add them to my pasta dish and I have to say that I will definitely be adding them to more dishes. I am a veggie and sometimes I find it hard to get a nice flavour to some of my dishes.If you haven't tried sun dried tomatoes before, i strongly suggest they are worth giving them a go :(

How do you make sun dried tomatoes? I usually have lots (enough to start a pasta sauce factory??) of fresh tomatoes. Do you just dry them in the sun or something? I've heard of them but never tried them!

Rob,Slice them, lay them on a screened frame in the sun and they dry out into an ugly shape.Store them in a glass jar or a plastic bag. Drop them into soups/stews, etc as you need them.Tasty. I use a food dehydrator to do mine.

I'd assume they taste the same as normal tomatoes, or am I wrong on that?

I think that question can be answered when you ask, How does any sun-dried fruit taste like? Do grapes and raisins taste the same, though they're originally the same fruit? The cereals i eat that come with sun-dried (straw-)berries don't taste the same as the original berries. I think i had sun-dried tomatoes once before, though, when i ordered from Papa John's Pizza, but i can't remember if they were sun-dried (though a quick look at their menu may say so).

I generally dislike tomatoes because they are too acidic and if I consume too many my stomach will hurt.But I love things like sun dried mangoes, now those are reallllylyyy good.

Any fruit or vegetable that is home-grown are much tastier than store bought. The flavour in fresh garden stuff is incredible compared to the generic, ripened in the container stuff. Fresh or dried, I'll take the home-grown stuff anytime.

People actually eat non home grown tomatoes? They taste like paper! I would never be so desperate for tomatoes as to use store bought tomatoes in the winter. I would use canned if I needed tomatoes. Almost every vegetable tastes better fresh from a garden, in fact the difference is so extreme I feel sorry for anyone who's never had their own garden. Out of season store bought tomatoes are just blah though, atleast in my part of the world.I look forward to trying sun dried tomatoes though, I always have so many tomatoes they're falling off and rotting on the ground by the dozen so surely i'll have enough to dry.. I can imagine they're quite good as the flavour is probably concentrated more since the water is gone.How long can you store sun dried tomatoes?

My dad grows the nicest lettuce. I cant eat store lettuce :/ so nasty. He also had a lot of strawberries over the last few weeks xD they be so tasty. So yeah, home grown ftw.