xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
QueenBea

Check Your Money - 20 Pence Thousands of undated coins produced in Royal Mint blunder

Hi

I have been checking my 20 pence pieces.

Thousands of undated coins produced in Royal Mint blunderTake a close look at that shiny new 20p piece in your purse or pocket - it could be worth a lot more than you think. A rare error at the Royal Mint means that tens of thousands of the coins produced earlier this year don't have 2009 stamped on them. Coin experts say the lack of a date makes them worth Ł50 each, and potentially much more in future.

Ebay has some up for sale price starting from 200 up to Ł1,000,000.00.

Good luck if you find one in your purse.
Bea :(

Notice from rvalkass:

Quote tags added around copied content.

It's not really Hot news, I've known about this for weeks, but yes it is very interesting, if you find a 20p with no name on it, I think the most expensive one sold made ?7,000 its worth trying to get, hell ?50 for it, from people who have more money that sense.

This is great new to know, I will hang onto a few in life just in-case I ever need any extra money. Thanks for letting us all know this important news.

Oh wow, nice to know.
Im not really that into researching money, but why would it be worth so much? Its a mistake, after all.

For the same reason limited editions cost so much, its a piece of history. But they're unique, just because you and I wouldn't pay for them, there are always people who will.

So why is it worth so much when it lacks the date? What does this means to the coin? Are those coins gold or what? I don't imagine to buy some coins for 200 pounds.

It makes it for a rare type of currency as it was not supposed to be printed that way. When something like this is scarcely made, it adds to the value because it is rare to find and to coin collectors this is important. People who want to collect all current currency coins will have to have the 20 pence piece with the date, and then they'll have to find the one without the date which is harder to do. Thus you can see the increased value, sure it seems exaggerated greatly and it is, but that's how the world works for some reason.

this is really an interesting piece of news. I wish we had something like that over here too. We might already be having it, but no one knows it! But I may never understand the passion of coin collectors.... ?1,000,000.00 in exchange for a coin?!!!! That will surely sound crazy to a lot of people, but I know to the collector it's like a part of his life!

I work in a shop. So you can bet I've been checking the 20p's that come my way xD ?50. Makes you wonder, how much would they be worth in a few years time? o-o

Yeah, I got told about this by my Business teacher. It's quite strange really. when the new coins came out I had a phase where I tried to collect all the new coins to make the coats of arms. I managed to get all pieces except for the 50 pence piece and the two pound coin. But I remember getting loads of the new 10 pence pieces and 20 pence pieces. If I had known what I did now, I would of checked them for the date.I could of been rich right now. My mum is the manager of a store and when she heard this news she's got all staff checking for the 20 pence coins. No luck find any so far.

what are they worth now?Check Your Money - 20 PenceDoes anyone know what an undated on both sides twenty pence piece is currently worth?-reply by Victoria