xisto Community
The Simpleton

Shameless Advertisement - Looking For Dedicated Forum Members

This is a pretty shameless advertisement and I have a feeling that this post may be deleted and maybe I'll be getting a warning as well, but I hope it doesn't go till a banning :(

Like many other people over here, I too started a forum recently and have a far-fetched dream of building it into a large community. For that to happen, I need members! This is really silly - asking for members on a forum which already has a lot of members posting day and night :angel: My forum cannot provide any benefits like Xisto does and neither can it match the user base of this forum. But I'm a bit optimistic about this so I'll continue.

My forum is completely about computers and the world of computers. Xisto has a pretty impressive section which deals with this topic and I seriously doubt if I'll find any takers! Anyway, all I'm asking for is for some of you guys to help me build a community. Just one or two posts per day would be awesome for me, and once we have a respectable amount of posts, I'm going to advertise the forums so that more members come in. I think the strongest point of my forum is the tutorials section (which is also present here!) I'm currently working on a few articles and so presently that forum is empty :excl:

So could some good-hearted people help me please? (evil-ones are also welcome provided they keep it decent :excl: )

Here is the forum's link: PcDynasty Everything there is pretty basic as I'm working on a lot of things right now....anyway, thanks a lot for reading and hope to see you on PCD!

I may be tempted to join at some point, computers are a fairly big part of my life!However, some feedback first, im not sure i like the layout much... It would be nice to have the white background more greyish, to take the edge off the bright white, it all seems a bit harsh on the eye at the moment IMHO.Some sub forums would be useful too :( Like hardware, software, networking all within the computer forum and perhaps some divisions in the programming one too.

I'm not much of a computer fan, so I don't think if I'll join your forum. I do have a suggestion for your theme tho.You could use a gradient positioned in the top of your page. something with the height of 300-500 px and width of 1 px. It could give you a more glossy look. Or you could search for a theme that looks good. :( Hope you get a lot of members! I might join but I have a lot of things to do right now.

Thanks a lot shadowx and Baniboy! Your feedback was most helpful. I'll change the theme pretty soon. I'm working on the main site (pcdynasty.com) so the time spent on the forums is a little low! But as most of the interaction is done in the forums itself I'm looking for active members :excl: I'll get rid of the present theme soon.@shadowx: I did want to add more subforums, but what's the use of too many categories in an empty forum? :( That's why I want to wait till the activity picks up and then I plan to make the suitable changes.@Baniboy: I understand your interests so I know I won't be seeing you there, but thanks for taking the time to go through my ad :angel:

lol. Shameless advertising is right.. the moderators must be kind people to allow you to advertise your forum on their forum :(

I'll check it out.. and maybe register, it looks cozy at least. I had a forum once, spent days setting it up and thinking of great topics to have, I think I spent more time setting it up and perfecting it than using it lol. Hopefully yours lives a bit longer than mine did!

What kind of tutorials are you going to have on there anyway? Or should I be asking that question on your forum? Hmm..

"What's with the name?
I admit it-all the good domain names are taken! "

PCDynasty isn't a bad name, I had a friend who was (is? I haven't seen him for a while) extremely proud of his chosen name --- Microhard.. believe it or not.

well I may join, I am farely handy with computers, I would have to agree with ShadowX that the Design is lacking in my opinion, but since I am for the idea I think it would be good, and any money you make could be spent on the forum making it better, assuming it gets big. But I am not as good as Alex or SaintMicheal and, well the Evil Group in general. But if I sign up expect to see "PopOnImpact" on the forum. But we'll see.

What kind of tutorials are you going to have on there anyway? Or should I be asking that question on your forum? Hmm..

Well the purpose of creating the site (as well as the forums) was to help those people who aren't very computer-literate. There are many sites which can help them but most of them do so in a sophisticated manner, leaving them more confused. My "tutorials" are intended to be written in a simple way so that the layman can understand computer concepts very easily. Since I'm writing these from scratch, I'm not being able to spend much time on the site and forum design :excl:

I think I spent more time setting it up and perfecting it than using it lol. Hopefully yours lives a bit longer than mine did!

well I certainly hope not to lose the site soon. I'm spending more time on creating the content so that people's minds will concentrate more on the content on the site rather than on the design :excl: Anyway, thanks a lot for joining Rob, I really appreciate it :angel:

well I may join, I am farely handy with computers, I would have to agree with ShadowX that the Design is lacking in my opinion, but since I am for the idea I think it would be good, and any money you make could be spent on the forum making it better, assuming it gets big. But I am not as good as Alex or SaintMicheal and, well the Evil Group in general. But if I sign up expect to see "PopOnImpact" on the forum. But we'll see.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my site kobra500. I hope I make it good enough to pull you there :(
Edited by kasperooney (see edit history)

Well, I'm pretty sure that the Xisto can stand the competition. :(Went and had a look, nice enough, but needs some Theme touches are per above. Good start.Add a link to Forum in your siggy, I'd say.

thanks for joining jlhaslip :excl:

Well, I'm pretty sure that the Xisto can stand the competition

yeah it sure can....no real threat from me, at least for now :(

Went and had a look, nice enough, but needs some Theme touches are per above. Good start.Add a link to Forum in your siggy, I'd say.

Thanks for the encouraging words....I'm trying out a lot of themes now and then and I hope to find a decent theme soon. I'm using myBB and offers users the choice to select their preferred theme from a list of installed themes so that's a good thing as different people have different tastes!

As for putting a link in my sig, that's part 2 of my shameless campaign, and that will come after the forum completes a few posts. Thanks again for supporting me :angel:

You can manually modify the theme either with CSS or simply by finding the images used (for the title bars and edges of the boxes) and editing them, maybe rounding the corners, adding more a gradient or modifying the colour/tone. Easier than hunting down one that fits you needs perfectly.That way you could have like a rounded theme, grey theme, blue etc... all using the same theme to start with, just copy/pasting the folder, renaming it and then editing the images and CSS contained within. It shouldnt be too hard, especially to change the BGcolor in CSS.

Hmm, a very nice forum there you have kasper. I'll be joining up soon. :excl: THough MyBB, AEF, SMF, phpBB etc you cant do much with them. (atleast not within my experience. Correct me if I am wrong.) Invision Power Board is a good forum software, aswell as vBulletin. Though I understand if you don't want to pay for a license. I don't think IP.Board 2.1 or 2.2.1, 2.2.2, 2.2.3 etc is illegal. I think they are free? Well, probably a trial. But you can easily bypass that.Anyway, good luck with your forums mate. I will be sure to sign up soon, when you get more done with it. :( And remember, you must give your fellow members something they would find useful. Like, tools etc for computers, tutorials, news, updates, announcements of Computers etc. I think you catch my drift here, right? :excl:-Sky. :angel:

A Q&A forum would be a very good idea, so that either guests or normal members can post a question like "My monitor isnt working, how do i fix it?" And then the regular members can reply. If you allow guests to post in this special forum it might not increase membership much but it will increase the hits i expect.

A Q&A forum would be a very good idea, so that either guests or normal members can post a question like "My monitor isnt working, how do i fix it?" And then the regular members can reply.
If you allow guests to post in this special forum it might not increase membership much but it will increase the hits i expect.

That is a good idea shadow.

You could also give them some support, but if you have to give them more and more support in one topic, you could say: "Please register an account with us to get further support.". :angel: Just try and get them to register also, since they know registering will get them more and more replies for their issues. :(

yeah thats a good idea and also a common feature on many forums. wow you guys are really so helpful - there's an overflow of ideas here! :angel: I need a little time to sort this all out....@Sky : Thank you for your interest - you're welcome to drop by any time you want, otherwise I'll notify you and everyone else when my shameless campaign part 2 comes up after the forums reach a respectable stage :(