xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zippydoozy

Changing An Admin Pass *READ*

Ok so my son changed the admin passwords on my computer and this is the only account I have left. I'm on XP and this account is limited so when I try net user administrator * it gives me some error 5.... Now all I need to know is how to change an admin pass really easy, If you could tell me this I would thank you so much well hope to see some answers quick!

Well, there is always the XP Recovery. Though if you only have the Administrator account and that's password protected ask your son for the password. If he doesn't remember it, then download Active Boot Disk from HERE. If you can find a burnable one, burn it, restart your PC, start it and then try finding and open a program in it that lets you change the Admin password. I cannot remember exactly what program it is.

Good luck.

EDIT: Download Password Changer from the link. :(

Edited by -Sky- (see edit history)

this sounds more like a hacking question than anything else. i would go elsewhere for that answer.

the obvious is to ask your son, but you probably already did that if it's your computer. if it's NOT your computer, then you shouldn't be asking your question here. my question is, how did he get your password to change passwords??? get the password the same way he got yours.

when you DO get it fixed, i suggest installing a free program that allows you to see all keystrokes a person uses on that computer. if you already had something like that insalled for security purposes, you wouldn't have this problem. you would see the password he typed in.

i personally wont give any techniques out in how to hack or reset passwords. what i can do is say that if all else fails, just reformat and reinstall the os. it's the lazy and easy way. some people don't like doing that if they aren't smart enough to back up their data. if if you have a backup or if you just don't care about losing anything because getting your account back is more important, that is an option.

needless to say, but if you don't have your access, your son should have NO access to that computer until it's fixed

hope this is a learning experience because you realy do have to be aware in who is using your computer....even if you trust them and this was just an accident with him foolin' around with things he didn't understand.

i personally like catching the little boogers in the act. maybe he changed passwords so his own account isn't limited. if this is the case, don't limit his computer time. when he logs on, he may have admin privlidges. catch him in the act....presto. you have your admin privlidges back. be creative or just ask in a forum where hacking is allowed.

Ok so my son changed the admin passwords on my computer and this is the only account I have left. I'm on XP and this account is limited so when I try net user administrator * it gives me some error 5.... Now all I need to know is how to change an admin pass really easy, If you could tell me this I would thank you so much well hope to see some answers quick!

this sounds more like a hacking question than anything else. i would go elsewhere for that answer.
the obvious is to ask your son, but you probably already did that if it's your computer. if it's NOT your computer, then you shouldn't be asking your question here. my question is, how did he get your password to change passwords??? get the password the same way he got yours.

when you DO get it fixed, i suggest installing a free program that allows you to see all keystrokes a person uses on that computer. if you already had something like that insalled for security purposes, you wouldn't have this problem. you would see the password he typed in.

i personally wont give any techniques out in how to hack or reset passwords. what i can do is say that if all else fails, just reformat and reinstall the os. it's the lazy and easy way. some people don't like doing that if they aren't smart enough to back up their data. if if you have a backup or if you just don't care about losing anything because getting your account back is more important, that is an option.

needless to say, but if you don't have your access, your son should have NO access to that computer until it's fixed

hope this is a learning experience because you realy do have to be aware in who is using your computer....even if you trust them and this was just an accident with him foolin' around with things he didn't understand.

i personally like catching the little boogers in the act. maybe he changed passwords so his own account isn't limited. if this is the case, don't limit his computer time. when he logs on, he may have admin privlidges. catch him in the act....presto. you have your admin privlidges back. be creative or just ask in a forum where hacking is allowed.

Yea basically what anwiii said. I dont know how old your son is or how he got the password in the first place, unless you told him but next time keep the passwords secure.

You can try recovering your windows XP system unless you have files in there which you do not want to lose.

You can also try asking someone that is not on Xisto like a tech support representative or some professional. Of course, they might refuse to help you and ask that you recover your system because of security purposes and identity theft because they would have reason to suspect that this is not your computer.

Anyways, goodluck with your password recovery =D

I believe in the gift of knowledge, for we all know how to slice up a steak with a knife do we not? IS that knowledge not applicable to hurting or killing other people? Indeed it is, but you'd still help me if i asked how to butcher a pig!The recovery disk solution is probably your best option here. If the account you are using has enough privileges you could try downloading a running a brute force program (google windows password brute forcing program) but be warned, these programs could contain viruses etc... as they are written by hackers....Another option is to try typing "control userpasswords2" into the run box on the start menu, though i expect that will be blocked by the privileges. There is a solution out there, theres always a way to hack something, no matter what it is, you just need to find it and i think the recovery disk is the best route for that. There are tips if you google "windows *VERSION HERE* recovery disk password recover" And put your windows version (xp, vista etc...) in the *version here* section, you should get plenty of results, some useful, some not so. You might also be able to use a linux distro to gain access to the files to back them up before doing a re-install etc...If you do use the windows recovery disk be sure not to accidentally re-install without backing up.... And note that the disk will not have an in built tool for password recovery, that would be foolish, but you can learn the basic commands needed by googling the right terms. I dont know them myself but i know it can be done.

Don't worry be happy :)
http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

Something Similar happened to me once when I was working on a project on one of a public library computer few months ago .. Some F***ing MORON put up his own password to protect his personal collection of P**n on the system.. I wish I could find the guy but then there were so many users and you can't ask everyone ..

Anyways... This worked for me so I am hoping it'll work for you as well

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

If you get stuck with CMOS password not working, then you may get the password reseted by removing the CMOS battery and swithing ON your PC after 10 minutes.There are two ways to force the CMOS to be reset to its default values. Firstly, mechanically by removing all power to the CMOS thereby forcing it to reset itself to its stored defaults, which include password or the default password employed by the Bios manufacturer, and secondly, using a program to either locate and identify the password and reveal it to you or erasing the password entirely. These are referred to as password by-pass utilities or cracks.To mechanically remove the password we need to follow these steps. Most motherboards manufactured use a battery to sustain the dynamic CMOS settings for the motherboards PROM chip. These dynamic settings are those manually set by either the computers manufacturer or us, the user. There are two ways to erase these dynamic settings, by either resetting a jumper on the motherboard itself, referred to as a clear CMOS jumper, or by physically remove the power from the computer, disconnecting the power plug and then removing a battery, used to maintain power to the PROM chip that contains the CMOS information from the motherboard. Some motherboard manufacturers provide a set of three jumpers on their motherboards that provide us with the ability to clear the CMOS settings, thereby allowing them to be reset. For the most part this is used when the CMOS data becomes scrambled and we need to clear the CMOS in order to return the computer to a functional state. This same procedure, however, can be used to clear passwords from the CMOS setup. Typically a jumper will be found across pins 1 and 2 as the default position, and by shutting the computer down, unplugging the power cord and then moving the jumper so that it is across pins 2 and 3 will clear the CMOS settings. I hope these steps are going to be very helpful to everyone.

Edited by buxgoddess (see edit history)

Hmmm, he never make clear if it were THE admin account or not.Windows XP comes with a hidden admin account which is hidden by default, and you can unhide it by going into registry, ect. If you have not un hidden it, then it still may be there. on boot, at your login screen hit "Control alt delete" twice in a row. it should open a different login screen, and just type in "Administrator"with no password.You didn't exactly specify which admin account you were using.Oh yeah and Bux ^^ I don't think that really helps, clearing cmos wont really do anything.Oh and if you cant get into admin account, then use ophcrack, it works well.

need good program for administrative pass word accessChanging An Admin Pass[Replying to anwiii,67105,449898 youU KNOW HOLD YOUR CONDEMNATION;I had the guy I lived with die in a construction accident and realized he had just changed the password on a couple of network computers, which he did periodically. Normally if I needed access I would just ask him but but the fall put him in a coma and he died shortly after thatWe had pictures, music and things that were important to both of us and his family. I do not want to reinstall the operating system because I could lose some of those files. I am not a hacker but was able to get into one of the machines but the other is our system's server and runs all back ups and system maintenance. It also holds the archive of documents and one is a 1789 page manuscript I wrote for publication. I have purchased two programs to fix the problem but neither works. I have been told that I will have to pay a small fortune to have a computer store fix the problem. What would you do under the circumstances! This has been a very hard period for me and others that are still shocked and grieving.I have been told that this is a common problem with businesses that have had employees leave under less than ideal conditions.I get so sick of judgmental jerks making statements they don't understand or nor do they have the common since God gave a child.Sincerely,A seriously angry and frustrated person,M

if you're on XP, it's fairly simple:

-if you can't open cmd.Exe, look at the bottom of the post

open CMD, you can find it in the c:/windows/system32, of just do windows key+r, then type cmd>enter

in CMD type "net user"

then you can see all accounts on the PC, but I presume you already know the name of your own account, but when your son is smart enough to change the password, he is also smart enough to might be able to change the name.

lets say your name is "bobby"

type net user bobby helloworld

this will change the password for the user "bobby" to "helloworld"

you can also add another account like this:

"net user "bobby" "helloworld" /add

bobby is now the username

helloworld is the password

MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT SLASHES

if your son changed your usergroup to, (just as easy)

type net localgroup

this will display all the groups on the PC

now type net user "bobby" administrator

this will add the user "bobby" to the usergroup administrator, and give him all privileges with it.

you don't necessarily have to type the "net user" and/or "net localgroup" commands, but it'll give you a good overview.

PS: can very well be used to hack every XP computer you have any type of account on.

PPS: if your son blocked the cmd.Exe, make a new text file, type in it "command.Com" and save it as command.Bat

this will make a .Bat file with will open cmd.Exe

-reply by jarik