xisto Community
gisellebebegirl

Getting 4 Wisdom Teeth Removed Tomorrow =/

I am more than freaking out about having all four winsdom teeth removed tomorrow.. me and my friend have been researching it, and mostly everyone says the recovery is awfullm lots of bleeding pain, not being able to move, or eat, or sleep because you cant lay your head down because of the pain... has anyone had all 4 removed?? and can kinda tell me to what extent the horror stories are true?? most people say it takes over 3 hours for the extraction to finalize.. but i called my doctor and he said 30 minutes.. i do not know what to believe =/plus.. for the pain you have to take pain killers, which i suppose come in tablets or pills.. which i do not know how to swallow =/ never learned, i know im pathetic, do you know if theres any way to get painkillers in a nontablet form? are they just as affective?how long does it usually take you to recover.. and do your cheeks really puff up like everyone says?? are you able to talk? are you actually awake during the procedure?? i know your under general anesthesia, but are you aware? in any way? or do you just black out and sleep? god i am so scared about it.i am 17 by the way.. the whole idea of having it removed wasnt even mine, blame my mom, i could careless

lol wow those are quite the horror stories you're reading. I had wisdom teeth removed years ago and it was a little scary I guess going into it but it was quick and mostly painless. I can't really remember but that's just a good sign it's not very traumatic. I remember they just numbed my mouth with a needle (a little prickly feeling) and I was thinking, OH MY GOD, shouldn't I be unconscious?? but they didn't do that. It was over pretty quick, it didn't hurt at all although it felt a little uncomfortable because you could kind of "feel" your teeth being pulled out. Some teeth come out easy, some take a bit of yanking and I know that sounds bad but you can't feel it although it isn't a pleasant feeling. And that was it. I think they make you unconscious if you're really terrified but they didn't ask me so I just went with the flow I didn't want to look like a wimp lol. It didn't take 3 hours either, it was pretty quick.I also remember after it was over it was more annoying than anything because my mouth was still numb and I was drooling blood for a while and had to keep wiping it up and it feels very weird. They said it'd stop bleeding in like 10 minutes but it bled for an hour.. not a lot of blood..just enough to keep you wiping your mouth clean every few minutes. I had a milkshake I wanted to drink and I couldn't because I kept bleeding lol. I think it was a swollen from the needle and that made it hard to talk but that's not much to worry about unless you can't live without talking for a while lol. You have to eat liquids for a while too I think. I've tried swallowing pills and I can't do it either, I guess we're both pathetic! so I never took pain killers. Tough it up, be a man! Or crush your pills and eat them..but be aware aspirin can damage your teeth if its on there too long. I put it on peanut butter and just swallow it that seems to work ok.Sorry I don't have a very good memory of it but it wasn't nearly as bad as what you think it will be. I'm sure the fear of it is worse than the actual procedure. I remember dreading the whole thing and it ended up not being too bad at all. It will feel weird for a while but you'll get used to it and it you'll forget that you are missing teeth.This was just my experience though.. it might be different for other people. Regardless of that, one things for sure, you'll be fine! Enjoy your chicken noodle soup for a while.. :angel: No crunchy chocolate covered pretzels!Good luck and don't worry!! :(

lol wow those are quite the horror stories you're reading. I had wisdom teeth removed years ago and it was a little scary I guess going into it but it was quick and mostly painless. I can't really remember but that's just a good sign it's not very traumatic.
I remember they just numbed my mouth with a needle (a little prickly feeling) and I was thinking, OH MY GOD, shouldn't I be unconscious?? but they didn't do that. It was over pretty quick, it didn't hurt at all although it felt a little uncomfortable because you could kind of "feel" your teeth being pulled out. Some teeth come out easy, some take a bit of yanking and I know that sounds bad but you can't feel it although it isn't a pleasant feeling. And that was it. I think they make you unconscious if you're really terrified but they didn't ask me so I just went with the flow I didn't want to look like a wimp lol. It didn't take 3 hours either, it was pretty quick.

I also remember after it was over it was more annoying than anything because my mouth was still numb and I was drooling blood for a while and had to keep wiping it up and it feels very weird. They said it'd stop bleeding in like 10 minutes but it bled for an hour.. not a lot of blood..just enough to keep you wiping your mouth clean every few minutes. I had a milkshake I wanted to drink and I couldn't because I kept bleeding lol. I think it was a swollen from the needle and that made it hard to talk but that's not much to worry about unless you can't live without talking for a while lol. You have to eat liquids for a while too I think.

I've tried swallowing pills and I can't do it either, I guess we're both pathetic! so I never took pain killers. Tough it up, be a man! Or crush your pills and eat them..but be aware aspirin can damage your teeth if its on there too long. I put it on peanut butter and just swallow it that seems to work ok.

Sorry I don't have a very good memory of it but it wasn't nearly as bad as what you think it will be. I'm sure the fear of it is worse than the actual procedure. I remember dreading the whole thing and it ended up not being too bad at all. It will feel weird for a while but you'll get used to it and it you'll forget that you are missing teeth.

This was just my experience though.. it might be different for other people. Regardless of that, one things for sure, you'll be fine!

Enjoy your chicken noodle soup for a while.. :excl: No crunchy chocolate covered pretzels!

Good luck and don't worry!! :angel:

gasp.. i feel stalked about the chocolate covered pretzels :( did you get all 4 removed? i feel like im dying just thinking about it

I replied to your thread about the pretzels today that's why i mentioned it . yeah I got all four removed

My poor poor giselle, I make sure to eat ice cream in front of you and have a cold beverage as well. Just think though, you will be all numbed up for a few hours and boy the pain will be oh so good, just remember warm salt water and lots of advil to help the pain for the next couple of days. However, the best part is the phantom pain that you get later on :(.

You should be fine! All of the stories you heard were likely the worst of the worst - the majority of people, those for whom the procedure goes well, move on with their life and don't really consider it worth talking about.It takes all of 20-30 minutes, with a decent portion of that time spent waiting for anestesia to kick in; you won't really care how long it takes, as you'll be loopy and have no real sense of time until probably the next day.I had 2 of my wisdom teeth + four other molars taken out at once, then my other 2 wisdom teeth taken out a few months later. They were all impacted, I had stitches, etc. It was not a particularly simple procedure for me. But it wasn't bad at all. I'm usually a pretty big wimp, but honestly, the worst part for me was gauze and the drooling in the hour or two afterward. Sure, there was a bit of swelling and discomfort, but I never needed anything more than Tylenol and felt generally fine as long as I kept up with ice 20mins/hr for the first few days. There is liquid tylenol, advil, motril - pick your poison, or, if your dentist prescribes anything for pain, you can ask for a prescription for a liquid rather than pills (you may want to have whoever goes with to drive you to ask in case you get nervous or too drugged up to remember). After three days of napping and watching lousy TV and movies, I was more than ready to get back to real life, and even starting eating soft foods that I could chew a bit (think macaroni and cheese). After a week the swelling was all but gone (only my mom could see it) and I didn't really notice anything unless I opened my mouth too far or ate pokey things. I know people who have gone back to their normal activities within a day or so.Try not to worry too much! Get some sleep, good luck tomorrow, and let us know how it goes!

Oh man, that sucks! Why all 4 at once? Seems like they would do one side and then the other, so you could at least eat/chew on one side. Mine were removed one at a time. The first when I was about 20. It bothered me for a long time, it would start to come up, and then go back down. It was actually the cutting of my wisdom teeth that inspired me to do the most unrational thing, a girlfriend of mine insisted that I try chewing tobacco for the pain, and believe it or not, it really helped a lot. Of course, it made a great gag on the old man at the feed store that was always offering the ladies a chew of his tobacco when I actually took one one time and chewed and spit just like an old pro......To this day I keep a pouch in the freezer for the occasional toothache. I hope you get threw this ok, like someobne else mentioned, have plenty of ice cream on hand.

I had this done, all 4 at the same time too, 'cause I only go to the dentist every year and a half or so, or whenever I remember, and the dentist was all like "oh... you need to get these taken out...now." Went in the next day, numbed me right up, felt almost nothing, although the needle was scary :(. My experience felt kind of similar to getting a filling (except something comes out instead of going in). Basically ate nothing but yogurt for the next week, but everything is better now. So you're actually probs getting this done right now, so this post is probs totally useless, but let us know how it goes!

I wonder how you are today and whether you've already had them removed by now. I hope everything goes well and it definitely should. Yeah you'll be sore for a bit but like others said, you can get liquid the form of painkillers and that'll be all you need.Just make sure to follow your dentist's instructions for after your surgery.

So what is the good word on having all 4 teeth pulled out giselle since I have seen an update on this topic of yours. I bet you could eat for the whole day or rather eat the right foods that wouldn't cause you severe pain when you chew and do you have any phantom pains as well? As those are eerily cool :(.

I'm curious as to how well it went too... I haven't had mine pulled yet, but I heard everyone will pretty much have to at some point.I think the dentist you go to probably has a lot to do with how it comes out... If you have a good dentist they should be more "efficient" than a bad one. Much like all doctors are not alike. You can have 5 doctors give 5 completely different explanations as to what is wrong with you, only one being right.

So how did it go?

For anyone else with anxiety aboutThis, please don't worry.  Most cases of extreme pain and or dry socketOccur because somebody didn't follow their dentist's instructionsPost-surgery.

I too was nervous because I am 32  yrs old - wayPast the recommended age. Since my jaw and surrounding bones were muchHarder and dense by that time, I thought for sure I'd be in trouble. Not the case...They put me under IV sedation and then I woke up - feltLike no time passed at all.  I was not too drowsy (was able to walk andStand alone) and by day 2 I was taking no painkillers.  I am in day 3Now and just take a cpl ibuprofen every once in a while as the gums areHard at work trying to heal.  

It isn't all that bad!  JustReleax and enjoy the time on the couch you'll have.  Oh, and make sureYou ice!  This is key for the 1st 24 hrs (but not after that!) toPrevent the painful swelling that can occur.  Here's a tip: put on aHoodie and tie the hood tightly and slide ice packs in (wrapped inPaper towels) on each side. You can rest your arms or use them to surfThe channels. I busted out my wireless bluetooth keyboard and surfedThe web on my 42" samsung on the couch all day!  It was true lazinessAt its finest.

Hope this helps anyone who is nervous.  You are going to be just fine!

Wow, I am dentist and you are totally wrong my friend. No normal dentist can pull your wisdom teeth down because that can be very difficult in an anesthetic and human sense. You can't take local anesthetic for all lower jaw. So be patient and extract only one at a time or only the most difficult and most frustrating which is causing you problems first.

Getting 4 Wisdom Teeth Removed Tomorrow =/Getting 4 Wisdom Teeth Removed Tomorrow =/

Well I just got all four removed yesterday and it only took an hour. Bottom two were impacted and the top two came through. I got local anesthetic so I was awake. The most difficult ones were the bottom. We started at 2:40 something and ended at 3:40 something. I was fine. My mom was more distraught than I was and she didn't even sit in. I was bleeding a lot afterwards. Hmmm I think I stopped changing my gauzes at 7 or 8. All I ate yesterday was sadly Applesauce and Mashed Bananas... It was quite good just not filling you know? So I'm on second day and am working up the guts to go brush my teeth.

Word to the wise: Look at your pan (thats a complete xray view of your teeth) and if you have impacted teeth ask the Dr. Where your nerve is and ask whether they think your teeth is too close to the nerve... Even if they've already said it wasn't.

I won't rehash what I went through for my impacted ones just make sure you ask.

-reply by Kelly