xisto Community
inverse_bloom

Another Newbie Just to say hello

Hi, I'm obviously a new member to Xisto and looking forward to contributing to this unique group. A little about me - well.... Ive had a lot of formal and informal training in IT, so guess i can say I'm experienced. A bit over a few years ago I undertook courses in 3d, multimedia and design which was good for the knowledge, but a lot of work.Ive recently completed a half year course in book keeping, which i was happy with until i began to learn about Tax, which seems just too contrived for me to stay awake (sorry if any one reading this is an accountant). I guess at the moment i have the very loose goal of creating an informative website in my spare time, which i will build upon while consolidating and rehearsing all the stuff i have learn't in IT, design and Accounting over the years.I regard myself as a bit of geek and believe that these posts give an opportunity for me to broaden my scope a little, to engage in other topics more. Thanks.

Welcome to the Trap, Inverse! What a lovely array of skills and experience that you've collected for yourself. I never could bring myself to study to be an accountant, either... even though I enjoy math in other regards. You have my sympathy and admiration for sticking with it as long as you have!

And I doubt you could offend anyone here... and, as for the accountants, since it takes a very specially-talented type of person to truly enjoy accounting, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Someone who has the gumption and perseverance to follow that path in life is bound to have a pretty thick skin!

You know, with your variety of talents, you might be interested in an idea that's been broached here recently (and which I am a part of): a freelancer's union (think worldwide, literally-human network :lol:). Please send a private message to kimochitim if you'd like more information!

And, I shall leave you with a number of helpful links to get you started! Some of them, you may have read already... but I guarantee not all! So enjoy the literature and I look forward to seeing you around! Take care!

Edited by Fractured.Logic (see edit history)

An accountant, eh?Only thing I remember from an Accounting course I once took is the Debits go on the left, and Credits on the right.Guess it would be the other way around in Ozzieland. :lol:Any particular parts of the Accountancy trade that you like the most? Tax, Audit??? Not enough 'outdoors' in Accounting for me.Welcome to the Trap,, and check out those links posted up there. See ya around.

Let a noob welcome a fellow noob :lol: . First of all I hope you have read the rules & secondly I hope you enjoy posting at Xisto. My Uncle is a Chartered Accountant but I never did like accounting. There are A LOT of topics which you could contribute or learn from & many interesting members who are smart and funny (Fractured Logic being one of them :XD:)Let us meet in the topics then...

Hi and thanks for the welcoming, ill definitely have a look your suggestion Fractured.Logic regarding the "freelancer's union". There is a skill shortage in Australia at moment of book keepers and accountants, that was my motivation for taking on the course a year ago. I was looking to do payroll work for a small-medium size business, but consequently have found that after finishing the course, it little difficult to find an accountancy firm offering work experience (previous experience is essential if obtaining any job in this area in Australia). Despite this i still remain unperturbed.Apparently one of the advantages of becoming a fully qualified and chartered accountant is you can travel abroad and pick up work in different countries. Despite this really strong point it still doesnt do much to motivate me to study further.

@inverseOne of the benefits of having training in both accountancy and I.T. is the ability to specialize in E.R.P. technologies. SAP and Oracle Financials consultants are well-paid compared to ASP.NET, Java and PHP developers.